sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 9, 2017 9:08 pm  #1

CRTC To Decide If Georgina Is Big Enough To Support Own Radio Station

There hasn’t been that much significant news from the CRTC in a while, but this week the Commission will release a study into whether Georgina, Ontario deserves to get a station of its own. The area has a population of roughly 46,000. If that’s deemed big enough, then they’ll issue a call for licence applications. I think most Toronto signals already reach there, so I’m not sure how much of a listening audience a highly local newcomer would attract.

We’ll see what the CRTC thinks this week. But if they go for it, could another MyFM station be far behind?

April 10, 2017 6:21 am  #2

Re: CRTC To Decide If Georgina Is Big Enough To Support Own Radio Station

On my way home on the '400' I have listened to 92.3 emanating from Georgina Island. I won't try to describe what kind of music variety they were playing last summer/late fall, but what I heard I liked, and, as I remember, there were no commercials.

It doesn't take long though from the point on the road that I can pick them up, to the point where 92.3 out of Owen Sound starts to interfere, making it it impossible to listen. They had no internet stream last fall when I checked. They didn't respond to to two emails I sent them either. 

I haven't given a listen since reactivating my SiriusXM account.

Last edited by DeepTracks (April 10, 2017 6:23 am)

April 10, 2017 10:24 am  #3

Much as I hate to admit it, this was also, pretty much exactly, my reaction.
CKKK.    The Dryden dinner jacket logo will be cute though .

Here's how things look, to, Nancy Elgie, this morning...

grilled.cheese wrote:

All country, all the time; and only music originating from south of the Mason Dixon line.

YEEHAW GEORGINA
GIT ER DONE!

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

April 10, 2017 11:04 am  #4

My FM Georgina?? Will that be a Country format? Or simply a cookie cutter of one of their other formats?
http://www.promosuiteinteractive.com/onlinedb/cjmbfm/docs/Georgina%20Coming%20Soon.pdf

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 13, 2017 11:47 am  #5

And the answer is: it is big enough and applications are now being accepted. In addition to MyFM, Bayshore, Torres and Evanov all expressed interest in trying to get a new station, with the latter two being odd, since Evanov also intervened to say the area shouldn't get a new outlet, claiming its CKDX-FM (aka The Jewel 88.5) already serves Georgina, while Torres argued a new entity would unfairly compete with its CIUX, an Uxbridge station I'll wager most don't even know exists.

There's also a coming native station that doesn't want the competition. But the CRTC doesn't think the newcomer will hurt anyone, so they've okayed the potential newcomer.  

So if you can't beat 'em, I guess, join 'em.

The Commission has advised MyFM to amend its request and wants all those competing bids in by June 30th.

Call for applications – Radio station to serve Georgina, Ontario   

Market findings 

April 14, 2017 3:05 pm  #6

There's also a rock pirate that surfaces quite often as I'm driving between the upper end of the 404 and Beaverton. I've pretty much triangulated it to Georgina. No announcers. At most a second or two of dead air between tunes.

Last edited by Saul (April 14, 2017 3:05 pm)

April 15, 2017 12:37 pm  #7

Saul wrote:

There's also a rock pirate that surfaces quite often as I'm driving between the upper end of the 404 and Beaverton. I've pretty much triangulated it to Georgina. No announcers. At most a second or two of dead air between tunes.

Is the "pirate's" freq 92.3?

April 15, 2017 4:04 pm  #8

FM 92.3 is Bayshore's "the dock" out of Owen Sound (not to be confused with Larche's FM 104.1 "the dock" out of Midland) 

April 15, 2017 5:08 pm  #9

Kilgore wrote:

FM 92.3 is Bayshore's "the dock" out of Owen Sound (not to be confused with Larche's FM 104.1 "the dock" out of Midland) 

It's also: http://georginaisland.com/community-services/nish-radio-92-3/

April 15, 2017 5:50 pm  #10

sorry to wreck your position, but 92.3 FM owen sound IS larche's The Dock from Owen Sound.  Not Bayshore.
92.3 FM Georgina is Nish FM based on Christian Island, a licensed Native station.
http://georginaisland.com/community-services/nish-radio-92-3/
Radiowiz is correct.

Last edited by splunge (April 15, 2017 5:51 pm)

April 15, 2017 6:27 pm  #11

Kilgore, the whole Central Ontario area is complicated with signals from various sources.  Some are localized, while others are regional in scope.  No worries, it's hard to keep track!

April 15, 2017 7:21 pm  #12

Life was simpler when all we had were Max Ferguson, Kay Stokes and Bert Pearl

April 15, 2017 8:09 pm  #13

Ken Trew, Milt Conway on CHAY, Bruce Barker or Tim Weston on Rock 95....

April 17, 2017 10:22 am  #14

The pirate is on 93.9. Shoulda mentioned that. The first time I heard it I was wondering why I was hearing metal-rock loud and clear on 93.9. Nish Radio had already moved to 92.3, from 102.7. Anyhow, that day when I first heard the 93.9 pirate, Nish 92.3 was off the air (for whatever reason, no open carrier, no signal at all). I'm pretty sure, judging from signal levels and such, that the pirate is in or very close to Georgina. The outage on 92.3 that time I first heard 93.9 could be coincidental, or it could indicate some possible relationship between the two. Since then, of course, the two have been on the air at the same time. The pirate is mostly classic rock, with perhaps a slight metal edge to it at times. I've heard traces of the signal as far south as Highway 401 and also up just past Coboconk (Highway 35) to the northeast.

April 17, 2017 12:40 pm  #15

Saul wrote:

The pirate is on 93.9.   Should'a mentioned that. The first time I heard it I was wondering why I was hearing metal-rock loud and clear on 93.9.    I've heard traces of the signal as far south as Highway 401 and also up just past Coboconk (Highway 35) to the northeast  

will check it out this afternoon

geo
(georgina on my mind)

April 17, 2017 4:52 pm  #16

When did Nish move frequencies, Saul?

April 17, 2017 9:08 pm  #17

Yes, Nish is correct.  Haven't listened, don't know what they do.
I'd still like to know more about that pirate station.  No doubt that any winner of the CRTC Call will immediately move to shut them down.... play by the rules or don't play at all.
The fact that the pirate station has been around for awhile speaks to the fact the market needs a legit radio station....

April 18, 2017 1:20 am  #18

splunge wrote:

I'd still like to know more about that pirate station.  No doubt that any winner of the CRTC Call will immediately move to shut them down.... play by the rules or don't play at all.
The fact that the pirate station has been around for awhile speaks to the fact the market needs a legit radio station....

93.7 is where MY FM would like to launch a station for Georgina...is someone maybe testing? Legal or not?
http://www.myfmradio.ca/

April 18, 2017 2:33 am  #19

Radiowiz wrote:

splunge wrote:

93.7 is where MY FM would like to launch a station for Georgina...is someone maybe testing? Legal or not?
http://www.myfmradio.ca/

you're correct.  interesting question....

May 20, 2017 5:43 am  #20

Saul wrote:

The pirate is on 93.9. Shoulda mentioned that. The first time I heard it I was wondering why I was hearing metal-rock loud and clear on 93.9. Nish Radio had already moved to 92.3, from 102.7. Anyhow, that day when I first heard the 93.9 pirate, Nish 92.3 was off the air (for whatever reason, no open carrier, no signal at all). I'm pretty sure, judging from signal levels and such, that the pirate is in or very close to Georgina. The outage on 92.3 that time I first heard 93.9 could be coincidental, or it could indicate some possible relationship between the two. Since then, of course, the two have been on the air at the same time. The pirate is mostly classic rock, with perhaps a slight metal edge to it at times. I've heard traces of the signal as far south as Highway 401 and also up just past Coboconk (Highway 35) to the northeast.

If Radio Caroline can be tolerated in London, then 93.9 should be tolerated on Georgina Island

May 20, 2017 6:26 am  #21

Kilgore wrote:

If Radio Caroline can be tolerated in London, then 93.9 should be tolerated on Georgina Island

Except there's already CFGI on the island there @ 92.3.

93.9 is a completely different station that will most likely broadcast from somewhere in Sutton Ontario. 

May 20, 2017 1:53 pm  #22

If she's any kind of pirate she is broadcasting from a scow off of Beaverton, not from Sutton Place

May 27, 2018 6:28 pm  #23

Ms. C. wrote:

If she's any kind of pirate she is broadcasting from a scow off of Beaverton, not from Sutton Place

I don't know. It could be anywhere. 

May 28, 2018 7:36 am  #24

I was in Sutton a couple of weeks back for a funeral.  It's been a few years.  I was surprised that it had a couple of sub-divisions.  Keswick has been a thing for years too.  I definitely think it could support a station.

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

May 28, 2018 10:15 am  #25

Leslieville Bill wrote:

I was in Sutton a couple of weeks back for a funeral.   I was surprised that it had a couple of sub-divisions.  Keswick has been a thing for years too.  I definitely think it could support a station.

A noon-hour death notice program is enormously popular in Owen Sound so why not bring it to Sutton and Keswick?

May 28, 2018 1:13 pm  #26

Have a feeling the 93.9 is in or close to Georgina. Just a guess based on signal strength when I drive in the area and beyond. Wish they'd talk between tracks, or show some personality. Signal carries well...

June 22, 2018 9:33 pm  #27

Tim Brown 2016 wrote:

verger wrote:

When did Nish move frequencies, Saul?

Just under two years ago. Nish had to vacate 102.7 because Zoomer had been awarded 102.9 in Collingwood. Zoomer Media arranged for their current frequency and funded the switch.

As for the pirate on 93.9, I've actually heard their signal west of Creemore. It's quite good up that way along the edge of the escarpment. Of course, it's very strong throughout much of the Newmarket-Keswick area - making Georgina a definite possibility. It's been around for a while. Surprised no one has mentioned it here before.

I was in the Georgina and Sutton area today and had the frequency locked on 93.9 and got only static until I was on the 404 southbound and the apparent  pirate started to come in clearly. Maybe it just went on the air for the day at that time around 320 PM. Signal lasted till almost Richmond Hill. I heard a track by Bad Company and two by the Animals. The signal had faded as I entered Toronto but I think I heard the Cars on the station in North York near Fairveiw mall.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

June 24, 2018 5:52 pm  #28

I was DXing the other day from about an hour northeast of Lake Simcoe and I heard a reference to Cottage country and Lake Simcoe on 93.9 in between rock music tracks. Signal was pretty weak, but I think I recorded it. (I was also getting signals from a lot farther away, like Missouri etc...). Anyhow, this is the first time I have ever heard a voice from this thing, and I've listened a lot - I like the music and it's the midway point on my drive to and from Toronto. As I go through endless recordings (taping multiple channels) I'll see if I can find any such references. I've been curious about what the station's intent is ... my guess has been someone on Georgina Island who likes rock music...

June 24, 2018 9:12 pm  #29

Saul wrote:

I was DXing the other day from about an hour northeast of Lake Simcoe and I heard a reference to Cottage country and Lake Simcoe on 93.9 in between rock music tracks. Signal was pretty weak, but I think I recorded it. (I was also getting signals from a lot farther away, like Missouri etc...). Anyhow, this is the first time I have ever heard a voice from this thing,

I fail to understand why anyone would be afraid to speak-even if it's with a voice changer. 
How does the human voice make it any easier to shut down a pirate radio station?

June 24, 2018 10:53 pm  #30

Maybe they just want to spin tunes... though I did finally hear something said this time ...

If I had the right equipment I'd love to triangulate, knock on the door, say Hi!

My *guess* is Georgina Island.