sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

Today 2:23 pm  #1

Dr. Odyssey an epic fail -- but also really funny

CTV has been playing the crap out of its promo on radio for the new medical TV "drama," "Dr. Odyssey," so I caved in and decided to watch.
Don't know whether to laugh or cry or check myself into the psych ward.
Don Johnson stars with Canadian Joshua Jackson about a medical team on a luxury cruise ship, "Odyssey."
What ensues is a supposed "drama" that makes the "Love Boat" seem like Shakespeare.
Absolutely ridiculous plots, wooden acting, and a small role for Johnson who just smiles and phones in a performance for money and a full time job as the ship's captain who still looks good in a uniform.
I won't go into detail, but the latest eye rolling episode involves the ship hosting a plastic surgery cruise in which an enhanced blond nearly dies from infected breast implants.
Each episode Johnson's captain has to dodge "older women" who keep trying to have sex with him which he  rebuffs, cause of his dead wife.

Today 2:29 pm  #2

Re: Dr. Odyssey an epic fail -- but also really funny

I watched the first episode just because of the Ryan Murphy connection.  I thought there HAD to be something nefarious going on but nope, just a bunch of drivel. 

Today 2:59 pm  #3

Funny you should note this. I actually wrote a review on this show for a website. Here's what it said. 

------------------------

This is, without question, the single worst TV show I have ever seen. To be honest, I wasn't expecting much but this thing sank faster than the Andrea Doria and was a Titanic failure. It had some of the worst acting and most predictable plotting I've ever seen, and much of it was an insult to the intelligence of anyone who bothered to turn it on.

I simply could not believe what I was watching.

The guy who plays the male nurse had an accent I could not make out, the "instant attraction" between the male and female medicos was both predictable and unreal, the medical emergencies were absurd and I have to admit I wondered how they would come up with enough plots to keep this running for this season, let alone years.

They've already used the "Man Overboard" gimmick in the very first episode. Once they get over the Legionnaire's Disease and the woman forced to have a premature baby at sea, what's going to be left?

I only watched this because Ryan Murphy of 9-1-1 fame was attached to it. But it's beyond resuscitation. I hope this piece of ship falls like a stone, so the network can put something worthwhile in that time slot. Because as it stands now, this boat not only sinks - it stinks. And in the end, Doctor Odyssey is nothing that you oughta see.

Do not get onboard.

Today 3:13 pm  #4

My wife insisted we watch the first episode

There won't be a second......

Today 3:43 pm  #5

RA, all of your observations are right on.
I am sure this show will join such monumental failures as "Manimal" and "Man From Atlantis," not to mention, "AfterMash."
But, I sort of can't help wanting to see just how laughably bad this show will get.
It's the sort of thing that "Mad" magazine would have gloried in lampooning in its heyday.

Today 3:52 pm  #6

The bad news is, I think it's doing well in the ratings. What was that old saying about never underestimating the intelligence of the American public? After all, many of them are voting for Trump!

Today 4:26 pm  #7

Some fans have a theory about this show and what may really be going on. At least this ending would justify some of its over-the-top stupidity. 

Doctor Odyssey Feels Like a Fever Dream Because It Is a Fever Dream — Here’s Our Not-At-All Crazy Theory

Today 4:46 pm  #8

Ohhh,
I take it all back.
I do indeed think this is what's going on.
The problem is if people don't realize this, they will not watch the show, it will bomb in the ratings and be cancelled, and the producers will not be able to cash in on the secret.
But, boy, yes this explanation really fits.
In the third episode, Avery, the nurse, miraculously does expert surgery on the breast implant patient.
Surgery no nurse could ever do, all this while Dr. Max stands by, seemingly without input as the real doctor.
Also Don Johnson's character of the captain actually says the ship is supposed to be paradise, but it isn't.  He adds that the real world exists outside the ship.
OK, because of this I really want to watch the fourth episode to see if there are more clues.
Thanks, RA I think you really have something there.

Today 6:23 pm  #9

RadioActive wrote:

Funny you should note this. I actually wrote a review on this show for a website. Here's what it said. 

------------------------

This is, without question, the single worst TV show I have ever seen.

piece of ship

Quite the review and buoy, you've outpun yourself with the subtle "piece of ship" quip RA 👏⚓

Now I want to check out the show in case it's so bad it's really bad but still somehow seeworthy.

Sounds like someone watched a couple of episodes of Westworld and then in one fell sloop binged Joshua Jackson, Anna Torv and Leonard Nimoy in the brilliant sci fi show Fringe which is J.J. Abrams at the top of his game and came up with Dr. OddySea (sic and on porpoise)

Last edited by betaylored (Today 6:43 pm)