sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 15, 2024 5:32 pm  #1

This LP Only The 4th In History To Spend 750 Weeks On Billboard Chart

I'm not a fan of Metallica, but somebody is. The heavy metal group's 1991 eponymous LP (also known as "The Black Album") has officially hit 750 weeks on Billboard's Top 200 Chart. For the mathematically challenged like yours truly, that's more than 14 years. 

The all time champ, of course, is Pink Floyd's classic "Dark Side Of The Moon," which has been earning "Money" for an astounding 990 weeks - or almost 19 years. That's simply astounding. 

You can see the other long-in-the-tooth survivors here. 

July 15, 2024 5:38 pm  #2

Re: This LP Only The 4th In History To Spend 750 Weeks On Billboard Chart

the black album is also disliked by many hardcore fans.... it's when they "sold out".  master of puppets is far superior!

July 15, 2024 6:31 pm  #3

splunge wrote:

the black album is also disliked by many hardcore fans.... it's when they "sold out".  master of puppets is far superior!

Agreed. Master of Puppets is a masterpiece. 'The Black Album' was the beginning of the end. Bob Rock made them huge megastars, though.

July 15, 2024 7:33 pm  #4

I thought you might be interested in the peak position of these legendary albums that roamed the Billboard 200 LP chart for decades. Of the 990 weeks Dark Side of The Moon spent on the chart only one [April 28, 1973] was spent on top. The Metallica album spent four weeks on top in September 1991. As of 2016, the Bob Marley Legends album climbed to a peak of #5, while Journey's Greatest Hits reached #10.

July 15, 2024 7:38 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

I'm not a fan of Metallica, but somebody is. The heavy metal group's 1991 eponymous LP (also known as "The Black Album") has officially hit 750 weeks on Billboard's Top 200 Chart. For the mathematically challenged like yours truly, that's more than 14 years. 

So it permanently re-entered the chart in 2005 - which makes sense given the stat of recorded music sales starting right about then.