sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 14, 2024 9:18 pm  #1

Thanks, Rogers

Was watching some of the Trump coverage on the various American networks tonight.   9pm comes and, boom, all three major networks simsub with their Canadian counterparts.   I realize that the tv listings do have the various shows on both networks but can’t Rogers have an actual human monitor the American networks and then once they have completed the Trump coverage then manually simsub and then turn the computer back on that does this automatically?

July 15, 2024 5:11 am  #2

Re: Thanks, Rogers

I have Bell and this happens during the NFL season.  While all of the sinsubs are set up by computer the N-F-L teams insist on playing after the three hour window.  So, when one team is on the one-uyard line, threatening to take the lead,zap, I miss what happens and am transported to another game just starting.  The answer is simple....have a real person sitting there to override the simsub.
I complain to the Commission and Bell sends me a note confirming I was right and then dance around saying they have hundreds of simsubs a week.  I really don't care how many they have.  I want my N-F-L.
One case manager at Bell even told me they had nothing to do with it.  He blamed Fox. One of the most unusal simsubs occurred years ago.  I tuned to watch the space shuttle returning to earth when on comes 'The Love Boat.'  It appeared at one point the spacecraft was going to land on the deck!!!

July 15, 2024 6:43 am  #3

This is just one of many reasons why I have always refused to have cable and get my shows through other means. They are ham-fisted about simsub and could care less about how they accomplish this horrible CRTC policy, and if you don't like it, tough. 

Threatening to leave won't help, because all the systems essentially work the same. 

That, plus the rates never go down, simsub removes freedom of choice to watch what you what where you want, it's often impossible to reach the laughably called "customer service" and frankly, they don't seem to give a shit about their subscribers in the long run are all reasons that wire will never be plugged into my house.  

I know I'm lucky in the fact that I'm able to find alternatives, while many people have no choice because of where they live. And to be fair, many are happy with their serivce. But simsub is a deal breaker for me - especially when it's almost always so poorly done - and there's nothing you can subscribe to that will avoid it. 

Unlike Rogers, I'm really sorry you experienced this issue. It's not the end of the world, but it's incredibly annoying. And when it keeps happening, it tells you exactly how much they value your business. 

July 15, 2024 8:10 am  #4

RadioActive wrote:

Threatening to leave won't help, because all the systems essentially work the same. 

It's not just that, it's the very fact that everyone's buying out everyone, reducing choice.

Quebecor recently bought Vmedia, and I believe Bell also recently bought another company that used to provide television service to people's homes. 
Let's not forget that Rogers also bought Comwave.

This is why many are switching to IPTV services. (legal or not) 
It removes the sim sub freely, securing that you'll actually get to watch the American channel without any sim sub cut in.

Last edited by Radiowiz (July 15, 2024 8:13 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 15, 2024 8:15 am  #5

Ale Ont wrote:

I have Bell and this happens during the NFL season.  While all of the sinsubs are set up by computer the N-F-L teams insist on playing after the three hour window.  So, when one team is on the one-uyard line, threatening to take the lead,zap, I miss what happens and am transported to another game just starting.  The answer is simple....have a real person sitting there to override the simsub.
I complain to the Commission and Bell sends me a note confirming I was right and then dance around saying they have hundreds of simsubs a week.  I really don't care how many they have.  I want my N-F-L.
One case manager at Bell even told me they had nothing to do with it.  He blamed Fox. One of the most unusal simsubs occurred years ago.  I tuned to watch the space shuttle returning to earth when on comes 'The Love Boat.'  It appeared at one point the spacecraft was going to land on the deck!!!

In some cases, the NFL is at fault. There is a rule that states that viewers in the home market must see their team's game from the opening kickoff.  If the Bill's are scheduled for a 4:25pm kickoff and the 1pm game is still happening, WIVB has no choice but to switch games. Viewers in Rochester and Erie would join the Bills game "already in progress" What I cheer for is severe weather in Buffalo where there is a constant scrolll of closures and cancellations across the bottom of the screen. Simsub can't be used in these situations.

July 15, 2024 8:34 am  #6

Yes, mace that is correct.  It happens when the Lions are playing as we get the Detroit channels.  However, the announcers always warn viewers of the N-F-L rule before switching the game,

July 15, 2024 11:32 am  #7

RadioActive wrote:

This is just one of many reasons why I have always refused to have cable and get my shows through other means. They are ham-fisted about simsub and could care less about how they accomplish this horrible CRTC policy, and if you don't like it, tough. 

That, plus the rates never go down, simsub removes freedom of choice to watch what you what where you want, it's often impossible to reach the laughably called "customer service" and frankly, they don't seem to give a shit about their subscribers in the long run are all reasons that wire will never be plugged into my house.  

I know I'm lucky in the fact that I'm able to find alternatives, while many people have no choice because of where they live. And to be fair, many are happy with their serivce. But simsub is a deal breaker for me - especially when it's almost always so poorly done - and there's nothing you can subscribe to that will avoid it. 

Unlike Rogers, I'm really sorry you experienced this issue. It's not the end of the world, but it's incredibly annoying. And when it keeps happening, it tells you exactly how much they value your business. 

Another one sided rant about the big bad uncaring cable companies and the travesty of simsub from someone who never has had cable.  Usually simsub works without a problem and most people don't care or notice.  But for this person it is a never ending whine about something that doesn't affect him.

Interesting how this individual always tells us what the cable providers really think about their customers, as if he had some inside knowledge....."unlike Rogers, I am really sorry you experienced this issue.."  "they are ham fisted about simsub and could care less how they accomplish this.."  "frankly, they don't give a shit about their customers.." Interesting coming from someone who really doesn't appear to care about the domestic broadcast system or it's future, and someone who has never had cable.

Anyone is free to change the way they receive their programming as this person has done.  Even when Bell or Rogers actually does something good or making a real effort regarding programming, he will attempt to trivialize or find fault.   All this just because he doesn't like or want cable.

Why not let those of us who actually subscribe to Rogers, Bell, Cogeco etc. worry about it and do what we want, rather than you, who has no vested interested or skin in the game constantly telling us what our cable companies "really think" about us.  At least this time, you did mention that many were happy with their service.  Great, why not leave it at that and stop trying to throw more gas on your biased self serving rants. 

July 15, 2024 12:00 pm  #8

"Can't we all just get along?" 😁

July 15, 2024 12:13 pm  #9

Like RA, I am no fan of Simsub, but being a Rogers subscriber, it is a fact of life. However, paying an extra $3.00/month gets me the Seattle affilliates so most of the time I can avoid simsub. Generally, Rogers is pretty good with the simsub timing. Where they fail is when one of the Buffalo stations decides to preempt programming for a local sporting event which is usually a Bills game. I realize that the nightly syndicated programs are all on timers but you would think a human would be there to make manual changes when necessary. The Rogers Ignite Guide is up to date. Shouldn't be a problem to override simsub when required.

July 15, 2024 1:01 pm  #10

mace wrote:

you would think a human would be there to make manual changes when necessary.

Sorry mace, but a "human being" costs money and God forbid the cheapskates in the Red Empire would hire anyone for such an unnecessary task. You will be waiting a very long time until they do.

July 15, 2024 1:30 pm  #11

Ah, Mr. p1, you are like an elevator in a building with many floors - it's just so easy to press your buttons! That said, let's take on some of the things you said. 

paterson1 wrote:

Another one sided rant about the big bad uncaring cable companies and the travesty of simsub from someone who never has had cable.  Usually simsub works without a problem and most people don't care or notice.  But for this person it is a never ending whine about something that doesn't affect him. 

First, it does affect me. Did you ever think I might like to subscribe to one of these services if it weren't for mandated orders like simsub? I'll concede that Rogers did not create this unbearable rule, but the very least they can do is try and execute it properly. The vitriol I often read here is proof they don't succeed at it in a measurable way. 

paterson1 wrote:

Interesting how this individual always tells us what the cable providers really think about their customers, as if he had some inside knowledge....."unlike Rogers, I am really sorry you experienced this issue.."  "they are ham fisted about simsub and could care less how they accomplish this.."  "frankly, they don't give a shit about their customers.." Interesting coming from someone who really doesn't appear to care about the domestic broadcast system or it's future, and someone who has never had cable.

Well, there may be a good reason I've never had cable. I suppose you haven't considered all the friends and relatives I have who have no choice but to stay in Rogers clutches because they live in apartment buildings or condos where Big Red has a monopoly - it's Rogers or nothing. So what are they supposed to do?

I've heard their endless stories of trying to get through to customer service, of attempting to fix a charge that's not supposed to be on their bills, or dealing with ever-increasing fees for the same service that has not improved. I don't have to be a chef in a restaurant to not like the food they serve. And if someone tells me about a poor dining experience they had there, it's more than likely I won't patronize it. I suspect you wouldn't either. 

Similarly, the horror stories I've heard about this company over the years are undeniable, at least to me. I hardly think these people, whom I know well, are lying to me to influence my opinion. I would certainly trust them over some bloated corporation who feeds off them like money vampires, sucking them dry for every dollar they can take. 

paterson1 wrote:

Anyone is free to change the way they receive their programming as this person has done. 

As noted, almost all of the folks I just referenced have no choice on their providers. It's either Rogers or no one. I just happen to prefer no one. They don't have the luxury of that choice, but I can tell you in no uncertain terms, they wish they did. Monopolies are never good for consumers. 

paterson1 wrote:

Why not let those of us who actually subscribe to Rogers, Bell, Cogeco etc. worry about it and do what we want, rather than you, who has no vested interested or skin in the game constantly telling us what our cable companies "really think" about us.  At least this time, you did mention that many were happy with their service.  Great, why not leave it at that and stop trying to throw more gas on your biased self serving rants. 

I have also heard the horror stories of "retention" departments and trying to complain about a huge conglomerate who could care less about their clients. We see it all the time. How often have you seen a Rogers truck simply stop in the middle of a busy street because they have to service something? Screw everyone else and the traffic jam it creates. We're Rogers and we'll just get in your way if we feel like it. 

As a matter of fact, I just ran into this on Thursday. A neighbour, whom I consider a good friend, was - unbeknownst to him - confronted by a huge Rogers-made construction zone right outside his house. Apparently, nobody warned him so he could pull out his car if he needed to.

Instead, they blocked both his vehicles and his front lawn on a morning that just happened to be garbage collection day in our area. Just by sheer luck, I was out for a bike ride and passing by when I noticed the waste truck bearing down on his house. 

I whipped out my cell phone and called him to warn him what was about to happen. He rushed outside and managed to move both his and his neighbour's trash with seconds to spare or both would have been stuck with their awful offal for another two weeks in the intense summer heat. I don't have to tell you what that would have smelled like. But the Rogers crew didn't care. Their attitude was 'we have work to do and too bad if you need to get your trash out. We're Rogers. We're more important than you.'

He was grateful for the warning. And yes, he's a Rogers subscriber. And no, he wasn't the least bit surprised. 

And don't get me started on their phone rates and data plans. I know many here are satisfied with them and that's great. But it's been proven by multiple studies that Canada has amongst the highest cell phone rates in the world. And it's the Bell/Rogers monopoly that keeps it that way. Again it's pure greed on their part but blame also lies with the CRTC, which has endlessly proclaimed they are consumer-oriented, only to consistently prove the exact opposite, caving into the Big 2 repeatedly on almost every issue. (The Shaw deal anyone?)

So I'm not as ill-informed as you think. Just luckier than the folks I know who would love to get out from under these never satisfied greedmongers. I personally will never give them a dime of my money, my only small way to protest. That's my personal choice, and one I'm proud to make and practice. I'm only sorry many of the people I know don't have that option. 

July 15, 2024 1:53 pm  #12

Well RA, judging by your typical over the top, tedious and at times childish response, seems it is pretty easy to push your buttons as well....

July 15, 2024 1:58 pm  #13

July 15, 2024 2:11 pm  #14

Hitting the mute on your rants might be a good idea RA.  

July 15, 2024 2:52 pm  #15

https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/judge-orders-bell-canada-pay-montrealer-1000-kafkaesque-customer-service

On a related note, Bell has been sent a message by the Quebec legal system and it could be the inspiration for further court action against both Bell and Rogers by irritated customers... just imagine the class action law suit that could be cobbled together.

p.s. "awful offal" well pun RA 👏😁

Last edited by betaylored (July 15, 2024 2:54 pm)

July 15, 2024 3:12 pm  #16

betaylored wrote:

https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/judge-orders-bell-canada-pay-montrealer-1000-kafkaesque-customer-service

On a related note, Bell has been sent a message by the Quebec legal system and it could be the inspiration for further court action against both Bell and Rogers by irritated customers... just imagine the class action law suit that could be cobbled together.

p.s. "awful offal" well pun RA 👏😁

Thank you for partially proving my point about these guys. 

They recently did a call in show about this on one of the local radio stations. A guy phoned in to say he used to work for one of these call centres. They weren't technically affiliated with Bell or Rogers, but they were an independent contractor who were paid by a company to handle just these kinds of situations. 

The problem? They were paid by the length of time they were able to keep customers on the line, so an issue that might take five minutes to resolve would evolve into a 60 minute or more phone wait. The longer they could string the customer along or transfer them from one department to another, the more they got paid. Which means they always, always kept callers on hold as long as possible. It's a sneaky and awful way to treat clients, but I believed the guy. 

I'm not saying Bell or Rogers employs this kind of tactic or business, but the fact so many have to wait on hold or be transferred just to get an issue resolved speaks volumes about how they feel about their customers. They seem to be more of an irritant to them than anything else.

As for that "awful offal" line, I'm planning to write a drama about the dictionary.

It's going to be a play on words. 

July 15, 2024 7:03 pm  #17

Any time I contact Rogers with an issue, they always offer me a call back option if the wait time is lengthy. The return call is always within 2 to 3 minutes of the time I could expect to receive it.

July 15, 2024 8:30 pm  #18

And how well do they solve your issues?

July 16, 2024 9:26 am  #19

RadioActive wrote:

And how well do they solve your issues?

No complaints from me.

July 16, 2024 9:28 am  #20

Glad to hear it. Not everyone I speak to has that outcome. 

July 16, 2024 9:36 am  #21

mace wrote:

Like RA, I am no fan of Simsub, but being a Rogers subscriber, it is a fact of life. However, paying an extra $3.00/month gets me the Seattle affilliates so most of the time I can avoid simsub. Generally, Rogers is pretty good with the simsub timing. Where they fail is when one of the Buffalo stations decides to preempt programming for a local sporting event which is usually a Bills game. I realize that the nightly syndicated programs are all on timers but you would think a human would be there to make manual changes when necessary. The Rogers Ignite Guide is up to date. Shouldn't be a problem to override simsub when required.

Glad I sparked talk and received lots of replies on how sim sub is a BAD idea.   

One question I have;   Is there sim sub here in Ontario when shows on the west coast are on in both Canada & USA simultaneously but, naturally, three hours after broadcast in Ontario?

July 16, 2024 9:38 am  #22

SimSub is a BAD idea ONLY if you’re a viewer.   If you’re watching in Canada then it’s a GREAT idea for ADVERTISERS ONLY!

July 16, 2024 12:36 pm  #23

djwildbill wrote:

SimSub is a BAD idea ONLY if you’re a viewer. If you’re watching in Canada then it’s a GREAT idea for ADVERTISERS ONLY!

Simsub is also great for US networks and the producers of the American programming that is purchased by Canadian networks.  Sony, Universal, Paramount or whoever produces the program charge more money since the networks in Canada are sold exclusive rights to the show for Canada. 

The Americans are totally in agreement with this and support simsub 100% since exclusive rights bring in more cash for them. 

In fact it wasn't long ago that the NFL went to the supreme court of Canada demanding that Canadians only see  the simsub Canadian signal on cable in Canada  with no US signal available for the game. This was requested not only for the Super Bowl but for all NFL games shown in Canada.  Odd whenever simsub comes up, it is always the cable companies, and of course the CRTC that are blamed for this "stupid" rule, even though the Americans are totally on side with it and even demanded it to the supreme court.  

Even without legislation, simsub wouldn't go away in 2024 because of broadcast rights, and the fact that Hollywood needs every nickle they can get from program sales.  TV in the US isn't in the best shape right now either.  

We handle simsub much better than US cable companies who will have a blank screen or pop in another channel like the Jewellery Network when a Canadian channel on their system is showing a program the same time as the US network.  Some border US cable companies have dropped Canadian channels because it is difficult for them to simsub and because of FCC regulations.  

Other than the Super Bowl commercials, most people don't notice or seem to care about simsub. It has been around for almost 50 years and the substitution of the signal is usually seamless and certainly better than 20-30 years ago. 

When I watch Detroit local TV  during morning shows or prime time, it can be messy.  I have seen some horrendous local breaks in and out of network programming, even missing the first 20-30 seconds of a segment since there was a problem on the local commercial break.  Or the local commercial/promo is chopped and then a blank screen for 10 seconds to hit the next network segment. 

July 19, 2024 1:48 pm  #24

djwildbill wrote:

mace wrote:

Glad I sparked talk and received lots of replies on how sim sub is a BAD idea.

One question I have; Is there sim sub here in Ontario when shows on the west coast are on in both Canada & USA simultaneously but, naturally, three hours after broadcast in Ontario?

Viewers in the GTA get simsubbed programs from Buffalo at 8pm ET. The same program at 11pm ET from Seattle would be free and clear. Conversely, Vancouver viewers would have simsubbed programs from Seattle at 8pm PT. To see the same program without simsub, they would have to tune into Buffalo/Detroit at 5pm PT.