sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 12, 2024 8:01 pm  #1

Beatles In Canada Exhibit Opens - But Will It Visit Toronto?

It's an exhibit filled with some amazing memories of the days when Beatlemania came to Canada. But for now, the only place you can see it is Calgary. There's no word on when - or if - The Beatles In Canada will come to Toronto, but it definitely deserves a stop in this city.

After all, it's one of the few places in this country where the Fab Four came twice, both times to Maple Leaf Gardens. (My sister was at their second show and recalls she couldn't hear a thing for all the screaming. But the tickets were all of about $4, so quite a deal!)

The exhibit features posters, pictures - many in colour - and an actual on loan cover of the infamous Beatles Butcher Album cover. And there are even 45s, including one that's become famous in T.O.

"We have the British copy of Love Me Do that Ray Sonin played on CFRB in 1962 before the record was released in Canada."

One thing is almost certain: if it ever does get to T.O., it will probably cost more than four bucks to get in. 

New Beatles Exhibit ‘From Me To You’ Chronicles The Band’s History – and Fab Four Firsts – in Canada

July 12, 2024 8:15 pm  #2

Re: Beatles In Canada Exhibit Opens - But Will It Visit Toronto?

There was no end to the stuff you could buy at the height of Beatlemania, from wigs, shoes, hats, dolls and of course, the records. Everybody who could find a way to make a buck knew that Money Couldn't Buy Them Love, but the Love of the Beatles Could Bring Them Money. 

Here are a few of the more bizarre items you could order.

Who hosted those very first shows? The answer is "two" much for words.

And then there was CHUM's Beatles documentary, which was made in 1970 and was still popular more than a decade later. This story is from 1986. And kudos to SOWNY member Doug Thompson, who was not only there producing this mammoth undertaking, but wound up in the hospital while getting it finished. 

July 12, 2024 8:20 pm  #3

July 12, 2024 11:00 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

It's an exhibit filled with some amazing memories of the days when Beatlemania came to Canada. But for now, the only place you can see it is Calgary. There's no word on when - or if - The Beatles In Canada will come to Toronto, but it definitely deserves a stop in this city.

After all, it's one of the few places in this country where the Fab Four came twice, both times to Maple Leaf Gardens. (My sister was at their second show and recalls she couldn't hear a thing for all the screaming. But the tickets were all of about $4, so quite a deal!)

The exhibit features posters, pictures - many in colour - and an actual on loan cover of the infamous Beatles Butcher Album cover. And there are even 45s, including one that's become famous in T.O.

"We have the British copy of Love Me Do that Ray Sonin played on CFRB in 1962 before the record was released in Canada."

One thing is almost certain: if it ever does get to T.O., it will probably cost more than four bucks to get in. 

New Beatles Exhibit ‘From Me To You’ Chronicles The Band’s History – and Fab Four Firsts – in Canada

According to various CHUM Charts, Beatles tickets were in the $4.50-$6.50 range. I saw my first Leaf game in January 1963. [They lost to the last place Bruins 5-2] Centre Ice Blues were $5. Leaf tickets have always been expensive, so those Beatle ticket prices would have been astronomical.