sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 1, 2024 7:14 am  #1

Detroit TV Legend Ends 40 Yr. On Air Career Monday

Anyone in the Windsor area probably knows the name Bernie Smilovitz. He's been a sportscasting fixture in Motown for 40 years - minus one very unhappy departure to WCBS-TV in New York, where he was fired. It didn't take him long to get back to his old stomping ground - WDIV, and he never left again. 

Until now. After cutbacks and a buyout, Smilovitz exits after an incredible four decades. His final broadcast comes Monday. 

The story linked below is amazing, written by the great Mitch Albom. He recounts how a completely inexperienced Smilovitz used what can only be called huge chutzpah to land his first job, when most bosses would have thrown him out of their office.

And how his early sojourns on Detroit TV weren't exactly easy. 

“During that first year, my wife, Donna, had to be hospitalized for seven weeks while she was pregnant,” Smilovitz recalls. “One day I was sitting in the hospital room and I opened the Free Press and there’s an article that says, ‘Get Smilovitz out of town! He’s one of the worst things that’s ever happened to us.’

“My wife looked over and said, ‘Is there anything new in the paper?’ And I closed it and said, ‘No, no, nothing.”

The article is worth a read even if you've never seen him - it's an amazing story of determination and resilience in an industry that doesn't always accommodate both. 

Bernie Smilovitz, after a career of highlights and hard work, signs off

July 1, 2024 7:47 am  #2

Re: Detroit TV Legend Ends 40 Yr. On Air Career Monday

What I find interesting is that the majority of U.S. major market television stations still have a sports department AND a meterologist, or at least a weather presenter, available seven days a week. What CFTO offers viewers in Canada's number one market in the area of weather and sports is an absolute disgrace.

July 1, 2024 10:18 am  #3

Re: Detroit TV Legend Ends 40 Yr. On Air Career Monday

I only get CTV Toronto news through CP24.  Bell Fibe doesn't carry CFTO in their lineup in Kitchener.  What I have seen for the 6:30 weekday news is not the same quality that the station had years ago. 

I receive the Detroit stations and all of them give both weather and sports prominence in their newscasts.  All the OTA Detroit stations do many more hours of local news than any of the comprable Toronto over the air outlets.  However, I don't know if Detroit has an equivalent of CP24 or Rogers new CityNews Channel.  I have never seen an ad or promo for a specific Detroit news channel. 

The Detroit stations also tend to run a lot of boosterism stories and feature reports about Detroit and Michigan.  Even as the lead story in newscasts.  The local ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX stations really push the fact that Detroit has turned itself around and growing again.

Any feel good event that happens downtown that draws even a small crowd will have live reports on local casts. All the stations cover the seedy side of Detroit such as the number of murders, and local politics but these stories aren't usually highlighted more than the lighter events. 

A real contrast to much of Toronto news media which tends to dwell on conflict and people or groups that feel hard done by and know how to get media attention.