sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 28, 2024 3:19 pm  #1

Numeris

A guy from Numeris called and asked me to participate in their Radio Ratings Survey. I listen to a lot of radio, so I agreed. Have any of you ever been in that?

My package arrived in the mail today. I thought it would be in the form of a printed log I could fill out and mail back. But it is just instructions as to how to do it online.

Do you do it in real time, while you're listening? Or can you just sumarize at the end of the day?

It says to begin on July 8. But it doesn't say how long it goes on

After all is said and done, more is usually said than done.

June 28, 2024 6:07 pm  #2

Re: Numeris

My bride and I were part of the Numeris survey a few months back.

I would sometimes jot down my listening through the day (time and station) to ensure accuracy or on a day with a lighter listening load I'd make a mental note of my listening for the day. But I always filled in the survey late night.

Your survey should last one full week.

I enjoyed the process. It was as I wrote at the time I posted my Numeris call on this board my opportunity to "reward" my favourites radio hosts with my tangible support. I was happy to do so

June 28, 2024 6:58 pm  #3

I was contacted several years ago and agreed to participate. Back then you received an actual log book to fill out in 15 minute intervals and yes it was for a seven day period. I think they paid me $5 for my time.

June 28, 2024 7:05 pm  #4

mace wrote:

I was contacted several years ago and agreed to participate. Back then you received an actual log book to fill out in 15 minute intervals and yes it was for a seven day period. I think they paid me $5 for my time.

They contacted me several years ago too. But after I told the guy my age, he said they weren't interested in what I listen to.

June 28, 2024 7:09 pm  #5

I've also been-there, done-that Numeris-wise. But I'm not sure they liked my response. As most here know, I'm a chronic channel changer, hopping from station to station frequently to see what the other places are doing. 

But the diary (and later the online entry, I've done both) insists you have to fill out quarter hour increments of what you heard. I phoned them to ask, "what if I listened to station "A" for eight minutes and station "B" for seven - shouldn't they both get credit?"

But it doesn't let you enter that. It's one station every 15 minutes only. I was told "Just write down the one you listened to longest in that time period." Which really irritated me, because it meant it was not an accurate representation of my actual TSL or Time Spent Listening. I told them this was not a true way to do this, but they didn't care - and they also never contacted me again!

It was fun, though as Uncle Fester noted in his post, it was a nice way to reward your favourites. I recall giving AM640's Mike Stafford a little extra ratings love in one of the surveys, because at the time CFRB was trouncing him in the ratings. 

June 28, 2024 7:14 pm  #6

I just remembered this - there was a time I just happened to be filling in a diary on one of those bizarre DX days, long before the advent of online Internet listening. When they asked me to fill out what stations I had listened to, they must have been very confused when I wrote out FM outlets from Florida, Alabama and Ohio. 

But they were coming in like locals that week and there was no way I was going to listen to Toronto stations when that was going on! I always wondered what they made of that diary. 

June 28, 2024 7:16 pm  #7

What if I listen to short wave? Radio Havana? WRMI?

June 28, 2024 7:37 pm  #8

mace wrote:

I did one of these, back in 2004. I got a Toonie.

June 28, 2024 8:11 pm  #9

turkeytop wrote:

I believe they want you to accurately fill out what you listened to. Even if it's Shortwave. It will probably be listed as "out of market." In the case of the station you mentioned, way out!

June 30, 2024 7:24 am  #10

RadioActive wrote:

turkeytop wrote:

I believe they want you to accurately fill out what you listened to. Even if it's Shortwave. It will probably be listed as "out of market." In the case of the station you mentioned, way out!

Agreed. I listened to a great deal of Buffalo FM's during my survey period, which were considered to be "out of market"

June 30, 2024 1:09 pm  #11

I took part a few years ago. I have not been invited back since.

July 14, 2024 8:24 pm  #12

So now, it's Sunday evening and my diary is just about complete. I was surprised at how simple it was. If I start to type in that I was listening to 680, a drop down menu appears listing stations that are on 680 and you just have to click on the right one.

Later tonight I'll be listening to my regular Sunday evening program on WRMI, 5950 KHZ. It will be interesting to see how it will handle that.