sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 25, 2024 6:13 am  #1

The Lights Were On, But Nobody Was Home

The Toronto St. Pau's byelection was won in a stunning upset by Conservative candidate Don Stewart around 4:40 am this morning. The Toronto Star appears to have been the first to break the news on line.  But there is absolutely no video footage by any mainstream media of the moment of the stunning upset when the count flipped. CBC Morning Live  this morning had footage from last night.  Everybody thought that the Liberals would win, but with a smaller majority, so all the reporters went home.

As Yogi Berra was known to say, "it ain't over 'til it's over". 

June 25, 2024 6:36 am  #2

Re: The Lights Were On, But Nobody Was Home

I remember a long time ago when our TV station did coverage of the race for the federal Liberal leadership. It was important because it was believed the person chosen was expected to be elected the next Prime Minister of Canada.

But the counting of the vote was delayed for some reason and the race went on and on and on into the night - and the following morning. Eventually, most of the stations cut their losses and signed off their coverage, saying it was clear they wouldn't have a winner till the morning shows came on. 

Even the CBC gave up. But our news director insisted we stay on until a winner was named. It wasn't until 4 AM that the official result finally came in, and we were the only station on the air still covering this thing. By which time I feel confident to say at least several dozen people were still watching. 

If you had been in the control room that night, you would have heard the cursing and aggravation of the crew, who felt this was an exercise in futility by that point. And we'd all been there since before 4 PM the previous day. The guy in charge had a huge ego and wanted to be able to say we were the only ones with live coverage until it ended. And we paid the price for it. 

But at least the overtime was nice - if you could keep your eyes open to see the cheque. 

So when everyone signed off in this latest race, I can't say I blame them. At some point, you have to make a call to say this is no longer worth it, especially a single albeit important by-election. It was of intense interest to me, but I was not up at 4 in the morning to see it! And I'm guessing most people weren't, either. 

Although they all should have had some kind of story up on their websites, with the overnight skeleton crew writing a brief article on it or using CP copy. No excuse for that not being there, because every newsroom is staffed 24/7. You just didn't want the folks who'd been there since yesterday afternoon to be the ones doing it.

June 25, 2024 8:10 am  #3

CBC.ca had excellent coverage last night with Power and Politics host David Cochrane.  They were streaming for about 4 hours and wrapped up shortly after 12:30am when only 56% of the results in.

Coverage was the same as they would have had on a broadcast with three guests, a Liberal, Conservative and NDP commentator and a reporter at both Liberal and Conservative headquarters.  Rosie Barton was also on part of the evening. 

Cochran is a good interviewer and personable on air.  He seems fair and has a good sense of humour to keep a long evening with slow election results interesting. He kept viewers posted on the hockey game and he could see a monitor that was carrying the game. 

84 candidates were on the Toronto-St. Paul's ballot which was a record for a federal election and this slowed the results.  As Skywave mentioned above final results came in at about 4:40 this morning.  
CBC made the right call wrapping up the stream at 12:30.   

June 25, 2024 6:04 pm  #4

This major byelection upset  (and the Stanley Cup final) has been the big story on CTV News Channel and CBC News Network all day.  Both networks have had pundits and presenters for the Liberals and Conservatives on all day.  If you are a political junkie, it has been an interesting day on the news channels. CP24 was the first to get Tom Mulclair on with his assessment this morning. 

June 25, 2024 9:10 pm  #5

Last night after the game, I found coverage of this on CBC News Explore on Roku. I was surprised to see it there. The results were delayed and they ended the coverage around midnight. 

June 26, 2024 6:32 am  #6

When I watch Provincial or Federal election result coverage, I usually bounce from network to network until I find the one that has the best information display. I also look to see who CBC/CTV/Global has as a talking head representative for each of the political parties.

June 26, 2024 9:31 am  #7

paterson1 wrote:

84 candidates were on the Toronto-St. Paul's ballot which was a record for a federal election and this slowed the results.  As Skywave mentioned above final results came in at about 4:40 this morning.  
CBC made the right call wrapping up the stream at 12:30.   

I voted early in that by-election and the ballot was so many pages long that it took me more time to re-fold the dam ballot so it could be submitted than it did to vote!     Finding the name of my candidate wasn't as hard.

Last edited by SpinningWheel (June 26, 2024 9:32 am)