sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 24, 2024 9:08 pm  #1

At Last! CTV Toronto's Dream Line-Up Comes True!

A friend of mine and I always joke when CFTO does that "Coming Up Tonight" graphic right after the weather promo on the 6 o'clock news, that throws to spots. Jessica Smith usually says "And we'll have a great night of shows for you tonight right here on CTV," followed by a board showing their primetime line-up. 

My friend and I think it's hilarious when three reruns of "The Big Bang Theory" come up in important time slots where they simply don't have anything else and schedule a repeat of the same sitcom for the 20th time. He actually once said "Their wet dream is to show nothing but BBT all night." 

I thought that was amusing until I saw the graphic below going into the 6:30 PM break on Monday. I originally believed it was a mistake but no, sure enough - an entire night of an old sitcom.

My guess? They didn't want to waste anything new against Game 7 of the Stanley Cup, so it was All Big Bang All The Time. At least, that's the "Theory!"

June 24, 2024 9:17 pm  #2

Re: At Last! CTV Toronto's Dream Line-Up Comes True!

What...  they couldn't intersperse a few episodes of "The Trouble with Tracey" anywhere?

I'm saddened.... it is CanCon after all

June 24, 2024 10:16 pm  #3

Well, look at it this way. On his "Under The Influence" show last week, Terry O'Reilly noted that The Barenaked Ladies, who are Canadian, get paid every time that theme song gets played. So at least there's some Canucks making money off of the network on Monday night. 

June 25, 2024 8:28 am  #4

When I saw that screen last night, I was a bit surprised. Usually there are only one or two episodes of BBT in CTV's primetime schedule. But then I quickly came to the same conclusion as RA that most people will be watching hockey. CTV could have run a test pattern, if they still exist, or colour bar and got just as many viewers.

June 25, 2024 10:05 am  #5

Such a crap show too never got into it. 

June 25, 2024 4:23 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

A friend of mine and I always joke when CFTO does that "Coming Up Tonight" graphic right after the weather promo on the 6 o'clock news, that throws to spots. Jessica Smith usually says "And we'll have a great night of shows for you tonight right here on CTV," followed by a board showing their primetime line-up. 

My friend and I think it's hilarious when three reruns of "The Big Bang Theory" come up in important time slots where they simply don't have anything else and schedule a repeat of the same sitcom for the 20th time. He actually once said "Their wet dream is to show nothing but BBT all night." 

I thought that was amusing until I saw the graphic below going into the 6:30 PM break on Monday. I originally believed it was a mistake but no, sure enough - an entire night of an old sitcom.

My guess? They didn't want to waste anything new against Game 7 of the Stanley Cup, so it was All Big Bang All The Time. At least, that's the "Theory!"

Are you sure that's not the TBS lineup at night?

June 25, 2024 6:47 pm  #7

This is appallingly lazy.
And TBBT was actually quite good for the first few seasons before they began turning the nerds into happily married middle of the road married couples.
It was a boring Hollywood admission that, OK it's OK to be weird when you're young, but you better smarten up and conform when you near middle age.

June 25, 2024 6:56 pm  #8

newsguy1 wrote:

This is appallingly lazy.

It's not lazy, it's pragmatic. 

Based on the numbers in the other thread, CTV would have been fighting for scraps. A marathon of your best rated syndicated show makes perfect sense.

June 25, 2024 9:14 pm  #9

I stand behind my lazy comment.
OK so TBBT is very popular, but people who are real fans of the show will watch it on many other ways and streaming services when they want to, where they want to, and not really need to tune in to CTV at one fixed time.
It's sort of like when CITY used to show all-weekend long marathons of movies like Star Wars or Indiana Jones.
Why on earth would real fans of movies like that not already own them on CD.
Why would anyone want to watch them crammed with commercials?

June 25, 2024 9:20 pm  #10

You can disagree with the tactic, but "lazy" doesn't make any sense.

What else could they have done given that ratings were going to be low regardless? 

They plugged a leak with the best tool at their disposal.

June 25, 2024 9:26 pm  #11

newsguy1 wrote:

OK so TBBT is very popular, but people who are real fans of the show will watch it on many other ways and streaming services when they want to, where they want to, and not really need to tune in to CTV at one fixed time.

Yeah, that's the entire problem for "TV"