sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 2, 2024 10:38 pm  #1

A Canadian team makes the Stanley Cup final

Good luck Oilers. Rogers must be happy. 

June 2, 2024 10:54 pm  #2

Re: A Canadian team makes the Stanley Cup final

Exciting game and series.  Edmonton looks to have really good fans. Go Oilers Go!!

June 3, 2024 12:36 am  #3

It should be a good finals. A Canadian team against a team that has never one the cup

June 3, 2024 7:08 am  #4

brian451 wrote:

It should be a good finals. A Canadian team against a team that has never one the cup

True. However, the Panthers did at least make it to the 1996 Final before being swept by the Colorado Avalanche and only in their third year of existance. In other news, the Leafs are ready to start their 58th rebuilding program.

June 3, 2024 7:10 am  #5

mace wrote:

brian451 wrote:

True. However, the Panthers did at least make it to the 1996 Final before being swept by the Colorado Avalanche and only in their third year of existance. In other news, the Leafs are ready to start their 58th rebuilding program.

The Panthers lost to Vegas last year, too

June 18, 2024 10:55 pm  #6

The Oilers win game 5 in Florida and make a series out of it. 

June 19, 2024 12:41 am  #7

I can't believe how ridiculously happy I am that the Oilers won. Or how superstitious I am about game 6.

June 21, 2024 10:53 pm  #8

There will be a game 7. 

Go Oilers!

June 22, 2024 6:38 am  #9

Some Stanley Cup history for you. IF Florida loses game seven it will be back to back Cup losses for them. That hasn't happened since 1977/78 when the Bruins lost twice to Montreal. Detroit lost twice to the Leafs in 1963/64 and the Leafs went down to Montreal in 1959/60. The last threepeat loser was St. Louis who lost to Montreal twice and Boston once between 1968-70. No team has ever lost four consecutive Cups but the Leafs came close losing six of eight between 1932-40. However, the majority of those losses came before the NHL introduced the best of seven format.

June 23, 2024 12:03 am  #10

I have to admit being a bit surprised by what The Fan 590 did on Friday. They carried the Blue Jays game as usual, another disastrous night in Cleveland. (Which one of the sportscasters on 680 insists on constantly calling “The C-L-E” for some reason.) Then they did Jays talk. And only then, around the 10:15 PM or so mark, they signed off and picked up the Stanley Cup final coverage for the last few minutes of the Oilers-Panthers game.

This was, of course, the possible game where the Cup could have been won. It might literally have been the Stanley Cup Final.

Look I get it, the Leafs aren’t in it, but given the remarkable Edmonton comeback, the interest in this series and the status hockey in general has in Canada, why wouldn’t they shunt the game over to 680? Instead, Toronto listeners without access to a TV at the time it was on couldn’t hear anything but the final few minutes. I was frankly stunned that they didn’t carry it anywhere else.

I certainly hope they don’t make that same mistake on Monday night. But the Jays are playing the Red Sox at Fenway, which means The Fan is obligated to take the Jays game. Knowing this is definitely the last NHL game of the season with historic implications, if this doesn’t end upon TSN 1050, will 680 take it?

June 23, 2024 11:08 am  #11

RadioActive wrote:

if this doesn’t end upon TSN 1050, will 680 take it?

Rogers owns the rights, so it will either be on 680 or nothing. I seem to recall a game getting shafted to 92.5 the other year. Must've been a Rogers rights Leafs/Raptors/Jays overlap or something similar.

June 23, 2024 11:24 am  #12

I know that the Jays have priority on the Fan and their games always come first. But to have a situation where the seventh game of a possibly historic Stanley Cup Final that involves a Canadian team and has attracted so much interest nationwide might not be heard in Toronto strikes me as insane.

No one will remember the outcome of the Jays-Red Sox game Monday night, regardless of what happens. But because of the Oilers' remarkable comeback, no one will ever forget this series. I'm not even a hockey fan, but I would say it needs to be on the radio in its entirety here. 

June 23, 2024 1:18 pm  #13

But I imagine most people will want to watch it on TV.  Certainly every bar with a TV set (s) will be tuned either to a channel or streamer or something.

June 23, 2024 1:28 pm  #14

I realize that. But there are always people who are in their car driving somewhere who might like to follow the game. Even if they're on their way home to see the rest of it. Hockey works very well on radio. The final game of the season should be there somewhere - and not just the last fifteen minutes. 

June 23, 2024 2:48 pm  #15

As a non hockey person I will not be going anywhere near a bar or establishment with TV's on Monday evening.
That includes my local pub.
Just can't stand men (mainly) who screech and slam their fists on the table for these events.
Haarumphh!

June 23, 2024 8:10 pm  #16

newsguy1 wrote:

As a non hockey person I will not be going anywhere near a bar or establishment with TV's on Monday evening.
That includes my local pub.
Just can't stand men (mainly) who screech and slam their fists on the table for these events.
Haarumphh! 

I feel the same way about bar patrons who are fans of the "Beautiful Game"