sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 23, 2017 12:23 pm  #1

Radio In Pictures: The Hidden Treasures In The City Of T.O. Archives

Some here may know I’ve always been fascinated with TV and radio history, especially local stations. But sadly, most of them saved almost nothing from their own past, which is where great aircheck sites like Dale Patterson’s RockRadioScrapbook comes in.

But when it comes to pictures, there aren’t as many artifacts. Except, perhaps, at the City of Toronto Archives, which has a vast library of images from the GTA's past. And while many aren’t available online (you have to physically go down and search them) some great radio stuff has been scanned in. What follows below are just a couple of them. Hope you enjoy this treasure trove as much as I did.

Jack Sharpe at CFRB Control Board Nov. 1930
This may be my favourite of all of the ones I could find. Imagine having to learn this control board.

Mickey Lester Outside CKEY 1958
Mickey was the morning man at the old CKEY, but what’s really great about this pic is the amazing sign, which I’ve never seen before. Just wish it was in colour! 

Lorne Greene on EY for Alka Seltzer
Before he made his big Bonanza in Hollywood, Lorne Greene was an announcer, most famously as the “Voice of Doom” at the CBC. Never knew he worked for CKEY, but here’s the proof that he did.

Carl Banas on CKEY April 1957
One of the great voices from CKFM in his earlier days on the AM side.

CHUM Charity Dinner Table 1962
It’s not that this is such a great pic, it’s that I only recognize one of the guys seated at the table – Bob McAdorey. Anyone know who else is in the photo?

CFRB & CHUM At Yonge & St. Clair

Finally, a last look at two now gone iconic radio locations. The first is CFRB, the other, the nifty 1050.

January 23, 2017 12:43 pm  #2

Re: Radio In Pictures: The Hidden Treasures In The City Of T.O. Archives

RadioActive wrote:

Some here may know I’ve always been fascinated with TV and radio history, especially local stations. But sadly, most of them saved almost nothing from their own past, which is where great aircheck sites like Dale Patterson’s RockRadioScrapbook comes in.

But when it comes to pictures, there aren’t as many artifacts. Except, perhaps, at the City of Toronto Archives, which has a vast library of images from the GTA's past. And while many aren’t available online (you have to physically go down and search them) some great radio stuff has been scanned in. What follows below are just a couple of them. Hope you enjoy this treasure trove as much as I did.

Jack Sharpe at CFRB Control Board Nov. 1930
This may be my favourite of all of the ones I could find. Imagine having to learn this control board.

Mickey Lester Outside CKEY 1958
Mickey was the morning man at the old CKEY, but what’s really great about this pic is the amazing sign, which I’ve never seen before. Just wish it was in colour! 

I guess they didn't just "spin gold".  The clock and thermometer 'spun' too.  That's 1/2 Mickey's show prep right there.

Lorne Greene on EY for Alka Seltzer
Before he made his big Bonanza in Hollywood, Lorne Greene was an announcer, most famously as the “Voice of Doom” at the CBC. Never knew he worked for CKEY, but here’s the proof that he did. 

Where are his guns?  And his horse?  Hoss is there...to move the appliances.

Carl Banas on CKEY April 1957
One of the great voices from CKFM in his earlier days on the AM side. 

Carl was also a pretty nice fella...in addition to the talent factor.

CHUM Charity Dinner Table 1962
It’s not that this is such a great pic, it’s that I only recognize one of the guys seated at the table – Bob McAdorey. Anyone know who else is in the photo?

Is that Dave Johnson position just left of the 45 included on the table sign?  45 indeed.

CFRB & CHUM At Yonge & St. Clair

Finally, a last look at two now gone iconic radio locations. The first is CFRB, the other, the nifty 1050.

That's not me white the white hair.  But... ... ...I was there...and also shopped often in that Cigar shop.  And then just below?  That's Roger Ashby walking his dog.  Stoop and scoop Rog.

January 23, 2017 1:22 pm  #3

Radioactive and Old Codger wrote: CHUM Charity Dinner Table 1962

"It’s not that this is such a great pic, it’s that I only recognize one of the guys seated at the table – Bob McAdorey. Anyone know who else is in the photo?

Is that Dave Johnson position just left of the 45 included on the table sign?  45 indeed."

Nope, it's not Dave Johnson.  It's mainly CHUM newsmen.  From bottom of table left is CHUM News Director Bill Drylie, Bob McAdorey, CHUM Promotion Director Allen Farrell, CHUM newsman Peter Dickens, I have no idea who this next gentleman is, then it's CHUM newsmen Lloyd Lockhart and Ron Knight aka Steve Hunter.  This was the CHUM table for the 11th annual sports celebrity dinner for Crippled Children in 1962. 

As for radio archive photos, I have over 500 in the CHUM Archives from the 1950's through to the 2000's, many of which will be displayed on a new website that will be announced in a few months.

Last edited by Doug Thompson (January 23, 2017 1:45 pm)

January 23, 2017 5:53 pm  #4

What a memory Mr. Thompson has! Can't wait to see your new site.

BTW, did anyone notice that in the Carl Banas pic, the sign reads "C.K.E.Y.", with periods after each letter, as if it's an abbreviation or stands for something. As far as I know, they were just call letters without any meaning. 

January 23, 2017 6:25 pm  #5

Fabulous photos!  Regarding CKEY, was this picture taken when their studios were on the south side of Davenport, just steps west of Avenue Rd. and almost directly across from the Avenue Road Diner? Add me to the list of people looking forward to the CHUM archive photos "coming soon"

January 23, 2017 6:33 pm  #6

does the gal w. a white scarf look like Erin Moran/Joannie Cunningham (Richie Cunningham's sister) to you?

January 23, 2017 6:54 pm  #7

Great finds!  Thanks.

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

January 23, 2017 7:04 pm  #8

The Lorne Greene CKEY photo was taken at the CNE sometime in the early 1950's before Lorne moved to New York.  Apparently, Lorne was working for Alka-Seltzer at the time.  CHUM newsman Richard Scott was a student at the Lorne Greene Broadcasting Academy.and was a regular housewifes DJ "Hello kitten" on CKEY before turning his chops to news at CHUM.

As for knowing who all the CHUM people were in that photo, I worked with them all, except for newsman Lloyd Lockhart, who'd left by the time I got there in February of 1965. 

January 25, 2017 1:36 pm  #9

the  radio section of  Vintage Toronto on facebook

https://www.facebook.com/VintageToronto/photos/?tab=album&album_id=488951134508209AlbumsRadio Radio103 Photos ·Toronto's Radio Broadcasting History.

January 25, 2017 1:57 pm  #10

Some nice pictures on the Facebook page. Many that I had not seen before like these three. Thanks for the tip::

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/