sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 18, 2024 2:22 pm  #1

One New Scripted Show That Has Outstanding Ratings

CBS has a winner with their new drama Tracker.  Live viewers in a seven day window Tracker has been picking up over 10 million viewers.  Over a 35 day period including streaming on Paramount+ over 20 million.  In Canada the show is popular for CTV with almost a million overnight watching and likely double that over the same 35 day time frame.

So far Tracker is the most successful new network show in six years.  More details from Bill Brioux of brioux.tv.
https://brioux.tv/blog/2024/04/17/cbs-success-story-time-to-keep-tracker-the-ratings/

April 18, 2024 2:52 pm  #2

Re: One New Scripted Show That Has Outstanding Ratings

I am enjoying watching "Tracker" in a sort of guilty pleasure way.
It is good mindless entertainment, and it tells its stories in small 50 minute bites.
I watch on Bell On Demand.
But I do realize the scripts are absurd
The hero, Colter Shaw, seems to be a master of all things.  He's never wrong.
He seems to be able to fight and easily defeat bad guys with guns.
He also walks onto crime scenes where actual police officers, gruffly ask "who are you" and he gives some vague answer about being a missing persons expert and the cops say, "oh, well, that's OK then."
Or his client tells police, "it's OK officer he works for me."
I wish I could have had that kind of experience when I covered crime stories as a reporter.
"It's OK officer I'm a crime beat reporter, just tell me everything."
"You got it, sir."

April 18, 2024 2:57 pm  #3

"Tracker" has already been renewed for next season, a decision that was made by CBS very early. 

But it can't hold a candle to the feat achieved by the original Dick Wolf drama "FBI," (the original, not the spinoffs) which has been renewed for three more years, keeping it on the network until at least 2027. I think The Simpsons managed the same thing, but outside of that, I'm not sure I've ever heard of a series given that kind of long term commitment.

Pretty amazing in this era when network cancellations seem to come almost by the minute. 

April 18, 2024 3:00 pm  #4

newsguy1 wrote:

I am enjoying watching "Tracker" in a sort of guilty pleasure way.
It is good mindless entertainment, and it tells its stories in small 50 minute bites.
I watch on Bell On Demand.
But I do realize the scripts are absurd
The hero, Colter Shaw, seems to be a master of all things.  He's never wrong.
He seems to be able to fight and easily defeat bad guys with guns.
He also walks onto crime scenes where actual police officers, gruffly ask "who are you" and he gives some vague answer about being a missing persons expert and the cops say, "oh, well, that's OK then."
Or his client tells police, "it's OK officer he works for me."
I wish I could have had that kind of experience when I covered crime stories as a reporter.
"It's OK officer I'm a crime beat reporter, just tell me everything."
"You got it, sir." 

He also seems to be an expert mathematician, constantly giving odds of survival.

"I'd say you have a 23% chance of survival if you stay here. Come with me, and it rises to 87%." Where these magic numbers come from are never explained. 

April 18, 2024 9:37 pm  #5

https://youtu.be/kQg16PnPpF8?si=UfFYI33F5uoZPwa2

I need something new and fluffy to watch so after reading these posts about Tracker I had to see what it was all about. It IS goodish. A not unattractive main character with the charm, grin and looks of Ben Affleck, emotional payoff every episode, semi-witty quips and affectionate banter between co-stars and a fair amount of risk and physical action. It's like an oddball mix of maybe Magnum PI, MacGyver?, and another popular show... I can't quite figure out which one??? 📺🤔

The Tracker trailer is posted above in case you're curious. Depending on how the Leafs perform in the next month, some alternative programs might come in handy. 🙏🏒

April 19, 2024 8:13 am  #6

RadioActive wrote:

"Tracker" has already been renewed for next season, a decision that was made by CBS very early. 

But it can't hold a candle to the feat achieved by the original Dick Wolf drama "FBI," (the original, not the spinoffs) which has been renewed for three more years, keeping it on the network until at least 2027. I think The Simpsons managed the same thing, but outside of that, I'm not sure I've ever heard of a series given that kind of long term commitment.

Pretty amazing in this era when network cancellations seem to come almost by the minute. 

I think SVU and part of the Chicago Wednesday gang have received a two year renewal in the past, but in this era where a renewal could mean a full season of 22 episodes or a cautious 13 episodes, muti year renewals are extremely rare.

April 19, 2024 11:36 am  #7

If you like Tracker you might want to check out a French series called The Traveller.  But you will have to subscribe to streamer MHZ Choice and Topic to get it.
I would recommend that anyway since the European streamer has amazing shows and movies from all over the world.
The Traveler is about a brilliant national police inspector who becomes disillusioned with the police and decides to take a leave by driving around France in a house van, and his dog, seeking out serious crimes in places where small police forces can't cope with them.
It seems everyone knows him because of his reputation as a master investigator.
The shows are full movie length, 90 minutes.