sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 16, 2024 10:26 pm  #1

Record Store Day is this Saturday...which means...

It is National Record Store Day in Canada on Saturday...here is the link...

https://recordstoredaycanada.ca/index.php

I am throwing it to the members to share their most memorable record store experience...for me it was buying my first 2 Albums at 13. I spent some of my Bar Mitzvah money on Goodbye Yellow Brick Road by Elton John and then Can't Buy a Thrill by Steely Dan. It was at Sam the Record Man at Bayshore Shopping Centre in Ottawa. Looking back at that moment, I had some pretty good taste in music.

Now it's your turn Big Yellow! 

Last edited by Muffaraw Joe (April 16, 2024 10:33 pm)

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

April 16, 2024 10:45 pm  #2

Re: Record Store Day is this Saturday...which means...

The first record I ever "bought" was actually not bought by me, but by my mother.
However it was the first time I went to a record store and asked for a record.
It was "All My Loving" by The Beatles.
It was on a 45.
Growing up in Vancouver we had several great record stores, including A and B records, Sight and Sound and even the record section of the downtown Hudson's Bay was very large and comprehensive.

April 16, 2024 10:52 pm  #3

Paul McCartney, Ram
My tastes in pop evolved considerably after that. But I was about 10 and liked it...
Would go to Sam's on Yonge with my brother on occasional Saturday mornings.

April 17, 2024 9:40 am  #4

newsguy1 wrote:

The first record I ever "bought" was actually not bought by me, but by my mother.
However it was the first time I went to a record store and asked for a record.
It was "All My Loving" by The Beatles.
It was on a 45.
Growing up in Vancouver we had several great record stores, including A and B records, Sight and Sound and even the record section of the downtown Hudson's Bay was very large and comprehensive.

Same here. I asked my mom if she could buy "Good Vibrations" by the Beach Boys at Sam The Record Man as she was going downtown. She did, and that was my first record, 66 cents. Don't think if I ever paid her back. Sorry mom.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

April 17, 2024 9:44 am  #5

The first album I bought was “The Magician’s Birthday” by Uriah Heep. I was 12 and my sister had introduced me to “Heep” with their “Demons and Wizards” album. Hey, they weren’t bad and the albums had great cover art by Roger Dean, best known for his Yes album covers. I then bought Ziggy Stardust by Bowie and Heep went on the heap…!

April 17, 2024 9:49 am  #6

The first record I ever "owned," I didn't buy. It was a birthday present from my parents back in 1962 - "The Monster Mash" by Bobby 'Boris' Pickett. Probably the only single they could have purchased that's guaranteed to get played on the radio every single year. 

Please ask paterson1 to sit down - the very first 45 I bought with my own money - all 69 cents of it - was "Unless You Care" by Terry Black on the ARC label. Yes, my first record was Canadian content! And I still like the song. (I didn't find out until years later that the infamous "Wrecking Crew" played on the record, which explains why it sounded so good.)

April 18, 2024 8:10 am  #7

The first record I ever bought was "For You Blue" by The Beatles, at my local Sam's when I was 10 years old. Of course, it was the flip side of "The Long and Winding Road", but that wasn't of much significance to me ... I had heard, and was continuing to hear, the A side more than enough on the radio, whereas that wasn't the case with "For You Blue".

April 18, 2024 9:12 am  #8

I had bought a number of singles in the 70s but never albums because my folks never had a proper stereo, just something I would charitably describe as a portable record player.

By 1980 I had scraped enough together to buy a very cheap second hand Viking stereo with a vinyl destroying turntable and an AM/FM tuner, but it was a real step up for me.

The first album I bought was Max Webster's "Universal Juveniles," followed quickly by Bruce Springsteen's "The River."

I still have them.