sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 5, 2024 10:26 am  #1

Radio Hosts Taking Monday Off To See The Eclipse

Right now, I only know of one who has publicly stated she won't be doing her show on Monday. AM640's mid-morning host Kelly Cutrara announced several days ago that she intended to take April 8th off specifically so she wouldn't miss the solar eclipse.

Her show will be over once the celestial event reaches its apex, but she won't have time to get to a place where she can watch it. So she's taking the entire day.

No word on who will be sitting in that chair in her absence. 

I wonder if any other member of Toronto's radio community will also be absent on Monday. Will anyone here be taking special pains to see it? (Or rather not see it, unless you have special glasses!)

April 5, 2024 11:32 am  #2

Re: Radio Hosts Taking Monday Off To See The Eclipse

After listening to the weather expert on MITM this morning tell John we shouldn't count on clear skies for Monday's eclipse, I'm mildly interested.

What should be interesting is all the news coverage and twitter posts from people who made the effort and traveled to the "zone of totality" and the stories they'll tell about the traffic jams, uncivil behavior and mild to major hiccups that can occur when large groups of humans congregate.

Last edited by betaylored (April 5, 2024 11:36 am)

April 5, 2024 12:10 pm  #3

I can't wait for the outrage of those who spent $1000 for a hotel room to stare at nothing but cloud cover.

I'm now waiting for the petition to appear on change.org to learn who will be blamed for the overcast sky.

Last edited by Binson Echorec (April 5, 2024 12:13 pm)

April 5, 2024 12:30 pm  #4

If it's cloudy on Monday it will be so sad -- truly a total eclipse of the heart.

April 5, 2024 2:00 pm  #5

It might be a great marketing / sales opportunity...

"Couldn't see the Eclipse on Monday? Don't blame it on the cloudy weather. It might be your eyes and Laser eye surgery could help. 

To find out if Laser Eye Surgery is right for you call (insert potential client here).....  for a complimentary assessment".

April 5, 2024 2:37 pm  #6

If overcast skies lead to an eclipse bummer, maybe the folks who were bumped from their hotel rooms in Niagara
will feel a bit better.

April 5, 2024 3:10 pm  #7

Or you could just watch ABC's two hour eclipse special. I am sure somewhere along the path of totality the skies will be clear. Outside my apartment building there will be 99.706 coverage. If I walk the 4 blocks to my local pub, it jumps to 99.726 coverage. If Monday is overcast, it only cost me $19 for my solar glasses. I can always save them for the next GTA solar eclipse on Oct 26, 2144. Or maybe not.

April 5, 2024 3:26 pm  #8

Binson Echorec wrote:

I can't wait for the outrage of those who spent $1000 for a hotel room to stare at nothing but cloud cover.

I'm now waiting for the petition to appear on change.org to learn who will be blamed for the overcast sky.

I'm already seeing veteran radio people politicizing the eclipse and blaming Trudeau for it.

April 5, 2024 3:28 pm  #9

Glen Warren wrote:

It might be a great marketing / sales opportunity...

"Couldn't see the Eclipse on Monday? Don't blame it on the cloudy weather. It might be your eyes and Laser eye surgery could help. 

To find out if Laser Eye Surgery is right for you call (insert potential client here).....  for a complimentary assessment".

'Be good to yourself... Promise me!'

April 6, 2024 10:58 am  #10

Walter wrote:

'Be good to yourself... Promise me!'

Yes Doctor!

April 6, 2024 8:16 pm  #11

No DJ's off on Monday at Giant 91.7 FM. Niagara's classic rock station is the go to station for the mass of people coming to get a great view of the pass-over of the Eclipse. It is a big event and has been declared an emergency in the region, in case any one becomes un-hinged as a result of the Eclipse energy.

Here is more.

https://www.giantfm.com/2024/04/05/extra-go-trains-added-for-mondays-solar-eclipse/

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

April 7, 2024 1:06 pm  #12

It's all for not if the weather forecast for tomorrow holds true. 

April 7, 2024 2:13 pm  #13

Forward Power wrote:

I'm already seeing veteran radio people politicizing the eclipse and blaming Trudeau for it.

And this is why I've given up on humans.