sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 31, 2024 2:07 pm  #1

Which GTHA Station Would You Bring Back If You Could?

I was reading yet another article lamenting the loss of a beloved radio station, this time a rock and roll outlet called WKDF in Nashville, Tennessee. It was a place that attracted a lot of devoted fans and boasted community involvement, memorable personalities and promotion of local talent. 

But when the ratings slipped, the format was abruptly changed to country on April 1, 1999. Fans at first thought it was an April fool's joke.

It wasn't. 

Many still miss being able to tune in that version of the station to this day. 

Which leads me to wonder: if you could resurrect one Toronto radio station the way it was, even if it's still on the air today, which one would it be? 

If forced to chose, I might pick the now defunct CKFH 1430 in its "#2 Radio" days. ("We must be, because everybody else is #1.") They had terrific jocks (including the great John Donabie and for a time, Steve O'Brien and John Rode), a wider playlist than CHUM and - after 1050 switched to the Drake system - a lot more personality. It was a great station to listen to and the one I wish could somehow return. 

Is there one you'd pick over all the others? Maybe CFNY's "Spirit Of Radio" or CFGM's country? How about CHUM-FM in its prog rock format? I was actually a fan of CHAM in Hamilton during its Top 40 days, a kind of training ground for CFTR, another station I really enjoyed in its music days. I was also a huge fan of Top 40 WGRQ, before the last consonant was replaced with a "F."

The station you pick may still be around, but not quite like it used to be. If you could listen to it again, which one would it be?

March 31, 2024 2:57 pm  #2

Re: Which GTHA Station Would You Bring Back If You Could?

If I could bring back a radio station, it would be CFRB 1010.  It was a respectable news source.  Other than Vassy, that mess currently broadcasting is pathetic.

March 31, 2024 2:58 pm  #3

The station I would bring back is 99.9 CKFM the sound of our Toronto fron the 1970s and 1980s with the likes of Don Daynard, Russ Thompson and Carl Banas.  This was light & easy soft rock at its best. I can still recreate these sounds thanks to Spotify which has a stream dedicated to CKFM from that era as well as other streams bringing back the easy listening sounds of 60s 70s and 80s FM radio.

March 31, 2024 3:19 pm  #4

Definitely CKFH in their #2 radio days. Great jocks, great tunes AND Chickenman! I'd also love to bring back the BIG 8 with their tight jingles and legendary 20/20 newscasts. How can anyone ever forget the "Motor City Murder Meter"

March 31, 2024 4:23 pm  #5

You know what? I really like the way CHOG 640 did their news back in the day. (June 1990)
"BM the PM wants people in the Cell Hotel to stay there a little longer..."
It was creative writing at it's best!  
I don't know about the Rock 40 music though. Maybe the Hog would be better as a Variety Rock station today.  
I also wish Toronto could have a Breeze station, but softer, with a lot more instrumentals. 
Sort of like the original CJEZ 97.3, or 94.9 FM CKQT.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 31, 2024 4:42 pm  #6

CKLN 88.1

At least CJTM 1280 is established & has a presence on the air.

March 31, 2024 5:18 pm  #7

mojo55 wrote:

The station I would bring back is 99.9 CKFM the sound of our Toronto fron the 1970s and 1980s with the likes of Don Daynard, Russ Thompson and Carl Banas.  This was light & easy soft rock at its best. I can still recreate these sounds thanks to Spotify which has a stream dedicated to CKFM from that era as well as other streams bringing back the easy listening sounds of 60s 70s and 80s FM radio.

These are all great suggestions, but to tell you the truth, I'd completely forgotten about CKFM back in the day. It was a great sounding radio station with some amazing personalities. Both Daynard and Banas were terrific but the night owl I was back then recalls Fred Napoli telling one of his half hour long "stories" late into the night. Sometimes, they were worth staying up for. Try finding something like that on the radio now. 

A real class act and a wonderful voice.

March 31, 2024 7:06 pm  #8

Without a doubt the 1980s CFNY spirit of radio.
When I first came to Toronto in the early 80s I was blown away by CFNY.
It played the same music my old UBC radio station was playing.
It was edgy, the jocks were great.  Pete and Geets were superb.
It even featured Ted Woloshyn when Ted was really funny and not a bitter old man turned into a right wing shill for obscure mediocre Toronto musicians and boring restaurant owners.
Remember the satirical award show, the Youknow Awards?
Hilarious.
It was the closest thing to a land bound version of the British pirate station Radio Caroline.

March 31, 2024 7:36 pm  #9

Thumbs up for CKFM and those already mentioned plus, in later years, Dan Williamson.

However....

CFTR & "Brady In The Morning"...

Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout would not take the garbage out
She'd scour the pots and scrub the pans
Candy the yams and spice the hams
And though her daddy would scream and shout
She simply would not take the garbage out!

...and I'm pretty sure this is the theme for The Elegant Weather...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqKN2x59uaw

March 31, 2024 8:42 pm  #10

Honourable mentions go to CFNY back in the Pete and Geets days, they had Live Earl Jive, David Marsden, Jim Reid, Rob Bruchal and James Scott, it was a great line-up., 

Then I loved Q107 when Scruff and Geets hosted, and they had shows like Barometer, Donabie,  Bob Mackowycz, it mixed humour with great rock and foreground programming. 

But to me, CHFI was pretty special, with Dazzling Don in the mornings, Sandy Hoyt (the nice man on the radio) and then Brian Master and Don Jackson's lovers and other strangers, Ben Steinfeld and Arlene Bynon did news and news talk shows as well.

The music was on in every (almost every) dental office in Toronto too,

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

April 1, 2024 9:31 am  #11

I would vote for CKFM as well.  Never could put my finger on it but even as a teen, I really liked the station.  Great on air announcers, good news, and their music choice was always interesting.  They were not a rocker by any means but Carl Banas would play a little rock on his show when he was doing a theme of songs.  And of course the "Sounds of Our Toronto" vignettes with their sound effects and well written copy were always worth listening to.   Even if you didn't live in the city, you could relate.  

I always liked the later years of CFTR, maybe 1986-1992.  Outstanding on air talent, unique sound, totally committed to top 40, excellent news and promotions, the station was always upbeat and fun to listen to.   Like I have said many times, CFTR became an even better radio station in my opinion after 1050 CHUM dropped being a head to head competitor in the summer of 1986.  

April 1, 2024 10:20 am  #12

paterson1 wrote:

I always liked the later years of CFTR, maybe 1986-1992.  Outstanding on air talent, unique sound, totally committed to top 40, excellent news and promotions, the station was always upbeat and fun to listen to.   Like I have said many times, CFTR became an even better radio station in my opinion after 1050 CHUM dropped being a head to head competitor in the summer of 1986.  

I wouldn't mind hearing a 68 second news break today. It's too bad Kiss 92 won't bring it back.  
("from the 680 news room")

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 1, 2024 11:32 am  #13

Speaking of CFTR nostalgia, here's a video aircheck of Bob Callahan working a Commercial Free Sunday in 1988...

April 1, 2024 1:08 pm  #14

The Callahan Man was one of the best.  Never heard him stumble on air, and he always hit the post or vocal.
Thought I read somewhere he later became an officer or worked for the Toronto Police after leaving radio. 

Have to give credit to CFTR.  After all these years, the station remains one of Toronto's most popular.  They got out of music exactly at the right time, TR was still a good money maker and near the top when they flipped to all news.  The only AM station in Toronto that has remained successful moving to a talk format, and they have never looked back.