sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 29, 2024 5:16 pm  #1

"Big" Don Biefer

Just got word that "Big" Don Biefer died this morning after a long illness. Big Don jocked all over southern Ontario and New York state, including stints at CKFH and CFTR Toronto and FM 108 in Burlington. He was also at WOLF in Syracuse, CKLC Kingston, CKLB Oshawa, CHIC Brampton, CHAM Hamilton, CJSS Cornwall and CHSJ St. John, N.B. He was 74.

I've known Don for years. A great guy, always upbeat and a source of many very funny radio stories. He told me how he would do a Sunday shift at CHAM from 7-midnight, then drive like mad to Toronto to do 1-6 a.m. at CFTR. Don told me he was never late and never got a speeding ticket.

Big Don was a treasure. R.I.P.

http://rockradioscrapbook.ca/ckfh-biefer-73.mp3

Last edited by Dale Patterson (March 29, 2024 8:17 pm)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

March 29, 2024 10:01 pm  #2

Re: "Big" Don Biefer

Sad. I didn't realize he had been at so many stations. I first heard him at CHIC in Brampton in the early seventies then much later at CING in Burlington.

Great presence, on-air.

March 30, 2024 10:44 am  #3

Don was someone I knew.  We never worked together at the same venue at the same time.  He was indeed a very kind man.  RIP

March 30, 2024 6:43 pm  #4

I also met Don, in somewhat recent years. He was very kind and genial and will be missed. I never heard him on the radio, but in person he struck me as a natural storyteller and conversationalist.

March 30, 2024 11:08 pm  #5

I knew of Don although I never worked with him nor met him.
He had a very good sound IMO.

There was a story going around years and years ago concerning his stint at CFTR.
Several people confirmed it and swore it was true.
Don apparently had a "bowel eruption" while on the air.
Talk about time to put on MacArthur Park! 
Anyway I'm sure he handled it like a pro & as I said he sounded great to me
RIP Don