sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 29, 2024 7:04 am  #1

Another Reason To Keep AM: Making Hot Dogs Talk

This has to be one of the silliest things you'll see today. But it happened. 

It comes with a stern warning: don't try this at home (or really, at a tower...)

From the YouTube page description:

"We devised a test to see just how dangerous the RF energy can be on an AM tower, if someone were to touch it while it was transmitting. This tower was operating under 10 kW. There are many AM towers broadcasting at much higher power levels, so they are even more dangerous. RF burns can kill, and there's a reason there are fences around these towers."

Yes, but think of how well done those hot dogs are...

March 29, 2024 8:00 am  #2

Re: Another Reason To Keep AM: Making Hot Dogs Talk

I never knew AM towers were so dangerous. Wonder which radio station that was.

March 29, 2024 3:29 pm  #3

The father and son behind this stunt never say what station it is, but in a separate post, the son indicates it's on a frequency of 1460 AM and is 10,000 watts. He also expresses surprise that the meat wasn't all that hot after coming in contact with the metal, despite the shower of sparks and half the thing being blown off.

Oh, and one more thing, and this may be the most important fact of all: the hot dog used was an Oscar Meyer Uncured Beef Frank. So now you know. 

Talking Hot Dog gives new meaning to 'Ham radio'

March 29, 2024 3:37 pm  #4

I've never had a hot dog talk but if I put on too much saurkraut sometimes they repeat on me.  (hee hee).

March 29, 2024 3:39 pm  #5

I'm just glad they didn't burn their buns.

March 29, 2024 4:48 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

The father and son behind this stunt never say what station it is, but in a separate post, the son indicates it's on a frequency of 1460 AM and is 10,000 watts. He also expresses surprise that the meat wasn't all that hot after coming in contact with the metal, despite the shower of sparks and half the thing being blown off.

Oh, and one more thing, and this may be the most important fact of all: the hot dog used was an Oscar Meyer Uncured Beef Frank. So now you know. 

Talking Hot Dog gives new meaning to 'Ham radio'

The brand of hot dog probably rules out Guelph's CJOY as the station in question. 

March 29, 2024 5:14 pm  #7

I may have the answer.

Geerling Engineering is based in St. Louis.

There's a Catholic-formatted radio station in nearby St. Charles, Missouri, essentially a suburb of the Arch City.

It's called KHOJ and it's at 1460 AM. Its tower is located in St. Charles. 

My guess is that's the one they used. 

March 29, 2024 5:23 pm  #8

I'd listen to a hot dog, before I'd suffer through one more syllable of John Tory.  The wiener has more credibility.

March 29, 2024 5:28 pm  #9

Walter wrote:

I'd listen to a hot dog, before I'd suffer through one more syllable of John Tory.  The wiener has more credibility.

So in your mind, the wiener is still champion...