sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 28, 2024 11:32 am  #1

Did you get this e-mail from Bell Fibe?

I don't have it myself, but a friend of mine who does received this in his inbox today. If you're like me and like to PVR your shows for viewing at a later date (and skipping commercials), this may be of interest.

March 28, 2024 11:56 am  #2

Re: Did you get this e-mail from Bell Fibe?

Let me guess - for an extra fee, you can keep those recordings for as long as you want. 

I have some stuff on my DVR from 2014. I should probably delete those shows, but I still believe I'll get around to them someday!

As always, dealing with Bell reminds me of the lesson of the 1983 movie War Games:

"The only way to win is not to play."

March 28, 2024 12:14 pm  #3

As rapacious and callous as Bell might be they have still not gone as far as Rogers did which is why I switched over to Bell.
The last straw for me with Rogers was when I went traveling a few years back and when I came home my phone was not working.
It was a land line which I still have.
Anyway when I called Rogers I was told they had rendered my phone incapable of making phone calls except for 911, but I could receive incoming calls.
This was because I missed ONE PAYMENT on my phone bill.
I had been travelling for about a month.
So I called Bell and asked them what would be involved in switching over..
They did it for free.
I told the person I was dealing with why I was switching and she said something like, "Oh, Bell would never cut off your phone just for missing one payment."
So far that has proven true.
I have missed a payment with Bell and I got a polite email saying so and thanking me if I had already made the payment.
Has anyone else had a similar experience?

March 28, 2024 12:27 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

I have some stuff on my DVR from 2014. I should probably delete those shows, but I still believe I'll get around to them someday!

Me and my Netflix playlist 😄

March 28, 2024 1:31 pm  #5

newsguy1 wrote:

As rapacious and callous as Bell might be they have still not gone as far as Rogers did which is why I switched over to Bell.
The last straw for me with Rogers was when I went traveling a few years back and when I came home my phone was not working.
Anyway when I called Rogers I was told they had rendered my phone incapable of making phone calls except for 911, but I could receive incoming calls.
They did it for free.
I told the person I was dealing with why I was switching and she said something like, "Oh, Bell would never cut off your phone just for missing one payment."
I have missed a payment with Bell and I got a polite email saying so and thanking me if I had already made the payment.

Rogers Ignite land line today does not get disconnected for missing only one payment.  

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 28, 2024 1:59 pm  #6

I think Rogers Ignite still goes for a full year. 
It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Bell decides to restore more than 60 days for a fee.
That's Bell for ya! lol

March 28, 2024 4:07 pm  #7

My Bell Fibe cloud storage has always been set to 60 days. I also happen to have a physical receiver box that allows storage until the thing is full, no time expiry per se.

March 28, 2024 7:35 pm  #8

Unfortunately, they do cut landlines for missing a single payment. It may be the policy for landlines.

This same situation happened to me about 18 years ago. Could only dial 911 and incoming calls.

Radiowiz wrote:

newsguy1 wrote:

They did it for free.

Rogers Ignite land line today does not get disconnected for missing only one payment.  

March 29, 2024 12:48 am  #9

DOPEfm wrote:

Unfortunately, they do cut landlines for missing a single payment. It may be the policy for landlines.
This same situation happened to me about 18 years ago. Could only dial 911 and incoming calls.

It's 2024 now.
I have never had my Rogers Ignite phone disconnected.
Then again,
I have only held (at worst) late payment status, paid in full (interest and all) before another bill could come due. 
Maybe that's why my phone was never disconnected.
I've never had to owe for two bills (in full) 
I'm not going to try testing this to see what happens though. 

March 29, 2024 8:24 am  #10

Radiowiz wrote:

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Bell decides to restore more than 60 days for a fee.
That's Bell for ya! lol

Correct. When signing up for Ignite, I was informed that all recorded programs would automatically be deleted after one year. I always used the excuse for not switching because there were recorded shows I hadn't viewed yet, which was true. I was able to get the space used down from 45% to 6% before finally making the switch.

March 30, 2024 11:58 am  #11

mace wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

That's Bell for ya! lol

Correct. When signing up for Ignite, I was informed that all recorded programs would automatically be deleted after one year. I always used the excuse for not switching because there were recorded shows I hadn't viewed yet, which was true. I was able to get the space used down from 45% to 6% before finally making the switch.

Nobody should be forced to binge watch due to fear of loss after only 60 days. 
This is why I LOVE Rogers. a year is more than enough time to finally watch things from a year ago. 
(or binge watch if one must...)

March 31, 2024 12:34 pm  #12

I have a physical PVR VIP2262 box.  It can keep recordings indefinitely.  Talk to bell to see about getting one. I can understand Bell setting a limit. 

April 8, 2024 1:58 pm  #13

The reaction to Bell's new 60-day PVR restriction has been swift - and predictably angry. 

But will the disaffected users actually consider switching to another provider?

"This is not the service I signed up for on contract, and yet I am still continuing to pay increasing prices," complained one. 

"Wish I knew this before I traded PVRs to change to cloud storage! No one told us that !!!," a forum user known as Crazy aunt said.

Among those bringing their concerns to light on Twitter/X is one "SimonDingleyTV," who is - or was - a well known reporter for CBC, CTV and Global before he recently retired. 

After pushing cloud storage, TV provider to auto-delete 61-day-old DVR recordings