sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 15, 2024 7:18 am  #1

Will New ESPN Baseball Broadcast Change Eventually Come To All Games?

I wonder what Pete Rose will think of this. ESPN, the U.S. cable giant, has confirmed it will be putting a new "stat" on its scoring bug that appears on its screen during every baseball game. It's a "win probability" indicator and posts whether the odds are in a certain team's favour of winning.

It will stay up for the full broadcast and is designed to appeal to an increasingly popular sports betting crowd, among others. 

Even ESPN execs who've decided to go with this aren't sure how it will be received, but they're determined to stick with it. 

“I think it just speaks to the way people think about sports right now, the consciousness of it, it’s on every website,” [the network's Phil Orlins] said. “People who obviously have a wager on the game have maybe a little  more thought about it as well. After a lot of debate, we want to embrace the differentiation there.”

With sports betting now an established thing in Canada, how long before this "new" stat infiltrates coverage here on Sportsnet or other services? Will it also spread to other sports, like hockey, basketball or football? I'm not sure but if it does, all bets are on. 

You can get a look at what the logo looks like here. 

March 15, 2024 8:59 am  #2

Re: Will New ESPN Baseball Broadcast Change Eventually Come To All Games?

When FOX was awarded the NFC portion of the NFL broadcast contract in 1993, they introduced the score bug immediately. Pushback was swift. If viewers can jump in to see the current score, they may not stick around for the entire telecast. Eventually, all the networks followed suit for the major sports. Now it is expected by viewers. In early March, during the majority of the first period of a HNIC telecast of a game between TB and Montreal, the score bug was absent. Could have been a technical issue, but viewers noticed and were vocal about its disappearance. This new addition to the score bug will eventually be accepted just as balls/strikes in baseball and shots on goal in hockey were.

March 15, 2024 11:12 am  #3

Re: Will New ESPN Baseball Broadcast Change Eventually Come To All Games?

I don’t have a problem with it. It’s not intrusive at all. It would be different if it had a giant Bet365 logo attached to it.