sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 12, 2024 5:08 pm  #1

The Coming Streaming Service You Definitely WON'T Want To Subscribe To

You've heard of Netflix, Crave, Disney+, even Britbox. But hopefully not coming soon to a TV near you is the latest entity to try to get an audience via streaming - the only official TV station in North Korea. 

Yes, North Korea.

Apparently, Kim Jong-Un believes not only will somebody want to watch the endless propaganda his one TV channel turns out, but you'll pay for the privilege to watch it. I'm guessing no one in their right mind will. Although unless the government here acts to ban it, it apparently will be available in Canada.

But exactly what DOES constitute "entertainment" in one of the most repressive places on the planet? This is from the British newspaper The Telegraph, which advises you can set your DVR to watch these gems:

"Korean Central TV, North Korea’s only legally accessible channel, shows a steady stream of missile launches, military parades and bad news about everywhere which isn’t North Korea...

There’s Our Neighbours, a sitcom centred around a modern and shiny apartment building in Pyongyang with the heartfelt message that those loyal to the regime will be rewarded with fashionable clothes and household appliances.

Young Researchers follows a group of schoolchildren who use laptop computers and other advanced technology, including drones, to solve problems in the reclusive rogue state...

There was also footage of fields, hopeful children and skyscrapers and trains, despite reports that North Korea is once again facing food shortages."

Sounds riveting!

But I shouldn't joke. This is one of the most horrible, hellish places on earth. And I'm disappointed to read in the article that one of the people helping to bring this about is apparently Canadian. 

North Korea’s state-run TV to be beamed around the world

March 12, 2024 5:34 pm  #2

Re: The Coming Streaming Service You Definitely WON'T Want To Subscribe To

I'm almost too curious to watch this even though I have no grasp of the language.

March 12, 2024 5:43 pm  #3

The descriptions remind me of the infamous SCTV episode when the USSR took over the satellite and forced Melonville residents to watch Russian television. That was hilarious. I doubt, however, that the real thing would be.

Here are a few examples if you've never seen it.

March 12, 2024 7:21 pm  #4

Enjoy an episode of Clever Raccoon Dog, comrade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56mvJajHfVg

March 12, 2024 7:26 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

The descriptions remind me of the infamous SCTV episode when the USSR took over the satellite and forced Melonville residents to watch Russian television. That was hilarious. I doubt, however, that the real thing would be.

"Uzbeks drank my battery fluid?!?" remains my go-to pickup line.

Last edited by Chrisphen (March 12, 2024 7:29 pm)

March 12, 2024 7:54 pm  #6

Top TV shows in North Korea right now:
"No Friends."  Show is about how if you have any friends, you and your family will be killed.
"The Big Bang Theory." It is not a theory, North Korea has the most powerful atomic bombs in the world.
"Saturday Night Live."  This show follows the last Saturday nights that prisoners of the state have left alive, before they are killed early Sunday morning.
General Hospital."  A show about where North Korean military generals get the very best health care, but everyone else is left to die.
"Kim's Convenience."  Everything is dedicated to the convenience of the Dear Leader Kim Jong Un. Everything.
"Park and Recreation." Movie about a man name Park who tries to get some recreation not approved of by the state and is arrested and executed.
Finally, North Korea's top-rated TV show" "Tucker Carlson Tonight."

March 13, 2024 7:48 am  #7

Oh the irony...  

March 13, 2024 9:33 am  #8

I would watch this from time to time. I wasn’t too happy when the Russian channel RT was dropped at the start of the Ukraine invasion as I found Moscow’s propaganda was interesting to watch. Don’t get me wrong, hate both dictators, but find propaganda amusing!

March 13, 2024 9:53 am  #9

I presume they don't air reruns of Mash ?!

March 13, 2024 10:29 am  #10

Shorty Wave wrote:

I would watch this from time to time. I wasn’t too happy when the Russian channel RT was dropped at the start of the Ukraine invasion as I found Moscow’s propaganda was interesting to watch. Don’t get me wrong, hate both dictators, but find propaganda amusing!

You say you hate both dictators, but we're not so sure and will be investigating. You say you find propaganda amusing, but we're not so sure you do, and we will be investigating that too. 

March 13, 2024 10:48 am  #11

Jackson Armstrong was "Your Leeeeader!"

Kim Jong-Un is "Our Dear Leader."

Personally, I prefer the former!

March 13, 2024 12:44 pm  #12

Saul wrote:

Shorty Wave wrote:

You say you hate both dictators, but we're not so sure and will be investigating. You say you find propaganda amusing, but we're not so sure you do, and we will be investigating that too. 

Please do investigate, that will also amuse me!

March 13, 2024 1:13 pm  #13

Shorty Wave wrote:

Please do investigate, that will also amuse me!

The whole thread reminds me - and if you DX shortwave you might have experienced this too - of stories I'd hear from fellow DXers (I stuck mainly with AM, FM and TV) about their QSL reception report verification packages from the likes of Radio Moscow and Radio Habana being opened (at our end) prior to delivery.

Also reminds me of an old joke I hear from eastern Bloc sources ... someone watching a state address on Channel 1 would flip to Channel 2, see the same address, flip to Channel 3, same address; then on channel 4 there'd be a cop with a nightstick, saying sternly: "Flipping channels, are we?"

Last edited by Saul (March 13, 2024 1:13 pm)

March 13, 2024 1:20 pm  #14

Saul wrote:

The whole thread reminds me - and if you DX shortwave you might have experienced this too - of stories I'd hear from fellow DXers (I stuck mainly with AM, FM and TV) about their QSL reception report verification packages from the likes of Radio Moscow and Radio Habana being opened (at our end) prior to delivery.

As a young high-school reprobate, I was constantly receiving QSL cards / letters from Soviet Bloc countries. Bulgaria, East Germany, Poland, Romania, etc., and of course Mother Russia. My conservative father warned me that' "Someday the RCMP will be knocking on our door!"

Dad is long gone. The Mounties never showed up. 

March 13, 2024 1:23 pm  #15

I admit to owning a Radio Moscow T-shirt, not because I ever listened to it on shortwave, but just because I collected radio station tees - and this one was pretty exotic. 

March 14, 2024 1:13 am  #16

I would like to see both available in Canada with a border around them letting the viewer know they’re propaganda.
I think it’s important to know what is being said by our adversaries.