sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 7, 2024 10:48 am  #1

Today, Good Morning America, CBS This Morning And --- The NFL?

We have BT, CTV's Your Morning, Global's Morning Show and a host of other programs for early risers in Canada. The U.S. has the Today Show, CBS Mornings and Good Morning America, along with a host of local shows. 

So would you watch two hours of morning programming about the NFL every day when you get up? That's what's in the works, as the NFL Network has decided to syndicate its daily early AM cable program called "Good Morning Football." The plan is to make it available to American stations across the country, in either one or two hour lengths. 

I suppose fanatics might tune in. But do you really need hours and hours and hours of news about a league that may not even be playing for half the year?

"Three hours of Good Morning Football have aired on the NFL’s pay TV channel NFL Network since 2016. Starting this fall, the network will produce an additional two hours of the program — which will be called “GMFB” — and stations will have the option of taking one or both hours.

The NFL and Sony are still working to sign new affiliate agreements for GMFB, and additional details are expected to be announced at a later date."

I will be very curious to see who takes this show and whether it winds up being a hit on mainstream TV.

Oh, and whether it constantly runs overtime and interrupts the start time of the show that follows it!

Would you watch this?

NFL bringing “Good Morning Football” to free broadcast TV

March 7, 2024 11:24 am  #2

Re: Today, Good Morning America, CBS This Morning And --- The NFL?

I have watched GMF occasionally during the football season and when the NFL schedule is released in May. During the off season, the show would only appeal to football fanatics who care about head coach, offensive/defensive coordinator hirings and/or firings, the cutting and drafting of players, salary cap issues, league rule change discussions, etc. During the off season I am more interested in the NHL and MLB. The CFL is the appetizer for the NFL main course which is served after Labour Day. Then I am all in, partly because I organize a weekly NFL pool at my local drinking establishment.

March 7, 2024 4:50 pm  #3

Re: Today, Good Morning America, CBS This Morning And --- The NFL?

As we keep rehashing and forgetting on this board all of the most watched programs of the year in the US are NFL related and NFL adjacent. If a low rated station wants a boost, why not?  I could see this on a low rated Ion or Cozi subcarrier in many markets rather than regular programming.