sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 1, 2024 6:39 pm  #1

CKCO (CTV Kitchener) Celebrates 70th Anniversary

CKCO TV in Kitchener will have a special this evening to celebrate the stations 70th Anniversary.  The special is part of the news package this evening at 6pm.  All week long they have been running vignettes from the stations past..
https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/ctv-kitchener-celebrates-its-70th-anniversary-1.6783798

March 1, 2024 6:46 pm  #2

Re: CKCO (CTV Kitchener) Celebrates 70th Anniversary

March 1954:

March 6, 2024 11:07 am  #3

I never watched CKCO much. Being a CTV affilliate, I could watch the same programs, and a clearer picture, on CFTO. However, there is one thing I will always remember about CKCO. The electric red jackets worn by their news and sports presenters. I came across a small article in the Kitchener Waterloo Record around Christmas 1988 announcing that the red jackets would be retired in January 1989 to be replaced with more appropriate business attire. January 16th was the official date.

March 6, 2024 12:31 pm  #4

The original CKCO wasn't a TV station and it wasn't even in Kitchener. Not only that, the original idea was to put it on Channel 6, which was designated as a Toronto frequency, and in the days when UHF was practically unheard of, it could have wound up on Channel 45!

June 1949:

April 1953:

March 6, 2024 4:38 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

The original CKCO wasn't a TV station and it wasn't even in Kitchener. Not only that, the original idea was to put it on Channel 6, which was designated as a Toronto frequency, and in the days when UHF was practically unheard of, it could have wound up on Channel 45!

June 1949:

April 1953:

If I’m not mistaken, Channel 13 was originally allocated to Hamilton and was the original channel CHCH planned to use when it signed on later in 1954. It was only once Channel 11 got allocated to Pittsburgh and Kingston that CHCH could use it, and that would have opened up 13 for CKCO.

Channel 45 eventually went to Wingham and was used by the CBC after CKNX disaffiliated from the network in 1988.