sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 1, 2024 2:23 pm  #1

Another Old Familiar Voice Turns Up On Sauga960

I grazed by the Jack Berkovits Show on Sauga960 just to see what he was up to. His show is normally a 2-hour monologue and generally isn't even live.

So I was surprised on Friday to hear not only was he doing it live, he had a guest on for the entire show - SOWNY member Peter Shurman, who was last heard from after being summarily (and some feel unfairly) dismissed from AM640. 

He had much to say about the late Brian Mulroney, and I have to admit it was nice to hear his voice again. 

March 1, 2024 2:25 pm  #2

Re: Another Old Familiar Voice Turns Up On Sauga960

Pete is a rock star.

March 1, 2024 4:25 pm  #3

I missed part of this, but just after the 2 PM break, they started discussing the Bell Media bloodletting of last month, the sale of 45 radio stations and Shurman's own experiences at Bell Media - and what happened to him at AM640 that cost him the fill-in gig. 

Shurman's story was quite absorbing to hear as he explained how he came to be at 640 and the nature of the incident that led to his sudden departure and it's worth a listen. The station does put up some of their shows for podcast and I expect this one will appear there eventually. The radio stuff starts sometime in the second hour, which would be approx. 60 mins. or so in. 

When and if they put it up, you'll find it here. 

March 1, 2024 6:21 pm  #4

The March 1st segment where they discuss Peter Shurman's departure from 640 and the Bell Radio massacre is now up and begins at 1:04:30 on the podcast. And he explains why some of what happened was personal. There's a bit of buffering, but it eventually comes on.

A really interesting segment that runs about 23 minutes. 

Peter Shurman on what happened at 640

March 1, 2024 6:39 pm  #5

Does that non-entity have a studio big enough for those 2 egos?

March 1, 2024 6:43 pm  #6

I have to admit I laughed out loud when Jack claimed his ratings were soaring and predicted Sauga960, with its miniscule signal and uneven programming, would eventually beat AM640 in the ratings.

March 2, 2024 9:16 am  #7

I'm not particularly a Shurman fan but I have to give him credit for taking ownership and responsibility for the on-air incident that led to his leaving 640.

March 2, 2024 9:25 am  #8

Hansa wrote:

I'm not particularly a Shurman fan but I have to give him credit for taking ownership and responsibility for the on-air incident that led to his leaving 640.

He was rail-roaded by gutless management.  So was Stafford, but he kind of had it coming.

March 2, 2024 10:14 am  #9

I'm reading this really gripping New Yorker story about the cutthroat gold for cash business in Toronto and the time one of his rivals allegedly hired a hit man to kill Jack Berkovits.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2011/10/10/the-golden-age-calvin-trillin

Last edited by Hansa (March 2, 2024 10:32 am)