sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 1, 2024 9:47 am  #1

Local Weekly Radio Feature Celebrates 20 Years On Air

It's one of my few can't miss segments and on Friday, it celebrates 20 years on air. CFRB's "Touchdowns and Fumbles" has been fronted by Bob Reid for two decades, even predating many of the hosts who help present it - including Jerry Agar, on whose show it currently appears. 

The weekly feature has media expert Reid assessing stories, politicians and brands in the news and how they succeeded from a PR point of view. I always find it interesting, but I've been disappointed to watch how it's shrunk over the years. It used to be a half hour every Friday, then collapsed to about 15 minutes. Now it's barely 10 minutes at the end of the final hour. But hey, at least it's still there. 

Reid will be co-hosting the show with Agar on Friday to celebrate the milestone. It's not often the same feature runs this long on the same radio station. I guess we'd have to give it a Touchdown.

March 1, 2024 10:20 am  #2

Re: Local Weekly Radio Feature Celebrates 20 Years On Air

I agree RA. It is a feature I have enjoyed for a number of years. But the only two words in Bell's vocabulary are "cut" and "trim" and that probably means everywhere.

March 1, 2024 11:00 am  #3

Just to give you an idea how long it's been on, John Moore has only been at 'RB for 15 years, while Agar is at 14 years and counting. The Reid segment has many years on both of them. 

March 1, 2024 11:05 am  #4

RadioActive wrote:

Just to give you an idea how long it's been on, John Moore has only been at 'RB for 15 years, while Agar is at 14 years and counting. The Reid segment has many years on both of them. 

Actually Moore started in September 2003 doing afternoons.  At least that's when I first heard him.
He started mornings after Bill Carroll was taken off mornings, and I think that was 2009/

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

March 1, 2024 11:07 am  #5

Jody Thornton wrote:

He started mornings after Bill Carroll was taken off mornings, and I think that was 2009/ 

Correct. Based on his Wikipedia entry, "Moore in the Morning began airing on October 5, 2009"

March 1, 2024 11:44 am  #6

Jody Thornton wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Actually Moore started in September 2003 doing afternoons.  At least that's when I first heard him.

John Moore himself stated he'd been there 15 years on his show Friday morning. That's where I got the date from. Unless he was misspeaking, I'd tend to take his word for it! I think he was referring only to his morning time, not the afternoon shift, although admittedly, he didn't specify which date he was referring to. 

March 1, 2024 1:16 pm  #7

Well, I remember bouncing between 680 and John Moore the day that John Ritter died, so it had to be around that time, and fifteen years is only 2009.  I think he means his mornings.

Anyway, it's been awhile.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

March 1, 2024 3:33 pm  #8

It's still a long way to go before he catches up to Wally.