sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 20, 2024 3:48 pm  #1

Will The Coming Solar Eclipse Be A Bonanza For Daytime DXers?

I love this story, even though I'm not entirely sure if the answer is "yes." On April 8th, a rare total solar eclipse is coming to a sky near you, the kind that creates night in the middle of the day, completely blocking the sun for several minutes. We all know the effects of what happens to radio signals at night when the sun goes down. 

Does that mean that while this celestial event is happening here it will act the same as when radio signals bounce off the ionosphere in the darkness? While there will be no power changes for a nighttime pattern (which should actually make for stronger signals), a group of scientists are going to use the eclipse to try and find out what happens to radio while it's going on.

"Led by Nathaniel Frissell, a professor of Physics and Engineering at the University of Scranton in Pennsylvania, HamSCI participants will share their radio data to catalog how the sudden loss of sunlight during totality affects their radio signals...

“During the 2017 eclipse, we found that the ionosphere behaved very similar to nighttime,” Frissell said. "Radio signals traveled farther, and frequencies that typically work best at night became usable. Frissell hopes to continue the comparison between eclipses and the day/night cycle, assessing how widespread the changes in the ionosphere are and comparing the results to computer models."

So while many will be looking upwards (hopefully, only with special eye protection) others will be tuning their radios to see if nighttime DX can happen in the daytime. I'm pretty sure nothing will happen. But won't it be amazing if it does?

NASA-Funded Science Projects Tuning In to ‘Eclipse Radio’

February 21, 2024 12:10 am  #2

Re: Will The Coming Solar Eclipse Be A Bonanza For Daytime DXers?

WGR Buffalo will be heard near Dayton, OH over top of WKRC on 550. This will be the result of WGR being non directional at that time. 

1450 WLEC Sandusky, OH might be heard as far east as Fort Erie and Buffalo.
Same with 1490 WERE Cleveland Heights.

The interference from 1220 Cleveland towards CFAJ will be a daytime issue during that afternoon.

On 930 WBEN Buffalo will wipe out WEOL Elyria, OH not that far east of its normal coverage area.

In Canada the best location to hear the kind of rare DX will be down around Fort Erie. 

February 21, 2024 12:41 am  #3

Whatever comes in, if anything, you'll have to tune around quickly. According to this, the solar eclipse in and around the GTA won't last long. Not sure about the DX, but I have to assume when the celestial event ends, and daylight returns, everything will go back to normal.

February 21, 2024 1:42 am  #4

Marc1178 describes it well. If I can be at my DX site that day I'll be expecting stations from perhaps 500 miles away ... and trying to hear a few select closer-in types of target stations that have thus far evaded me...

February 21, 2024 1:52 am  #5

We'll still be in Florida then. Not in the path. Could I still expext some DX openings?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

February 21, 2024 9:28 am  #6

Got my glasses. Make sure you have some. A mistake can be very costly.

April 7, 2024 7:50 pm  #7

Some of us will be looking at the radio and not the sky on Monday. And we won't be alone. 

From Newsday:

Long Island ham radio enthusiasts to study out-of-this-world event