sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 19, 2024 7:49 am  #1

CFRB Morning Show Live On Family Day But Not AM640

I always find it interesting the choices that radio companies make when it comes to holidays. I was actually pleasantly surprised to wake up early Family Day Monday and discover John Moore live on NewsTalk 1010. While it's too early to know if the rest of the day that follows will be the same, Moore has hinted most of RB's personalities will likely be in.

AM640 has opted for an all-day Best Of.

Everyone is certainly entitled to their time off, but technically, Family Day doesn't apply to broadcasting. It's a provincial-only holiday that isn't marked across the country, and therefore doesn't cover federally regulated broadcasting. So in theory, it should be just another day for radio stations in Ontario.

I'm not entirely sure if Bell has to pay overtime to its workers who go live on Family Day, but as Moore's producer, new Canadian Joe Cristiano indicated on his show, if he took the day off, it would just eat into his future holidays and he doesn't want it in the middle of a dismal winter February Monday. A man after my own heart! (Or is that iHeart?)

February 19, 2024 10:07 am  #2

Re: CFRB Morning Show Live On Family Day But Not AM640

I too was “pleasantly surprised” to hear John Moore live this morning, was full expecting CP24. Let’s see who else shows up live today. Have a good Family Day everyone!

February 19, 2024 10:59 am  #3

Jerry Agar will be doing a live show as well today, I’m impressed for a Family Day!

February 19, 2024 11:51 am  #4

They should be doing live shows today.  Radio is federally regulated; not provincial.  This is a provincial holiday.

Last edited by AMFM (February 19, 2024 12:04 pm)

February 19, 2024 12:53 pm  #5

Meh. Either way.

If the majority of your audience is off, it could be a waste of resources to have the morning team in. Probably better to bank the day if you need them in on an otherwise off-day for some reason.

Now, the majority of the audience for these two stations is retired, but that's another matter altogether. 

February 19, 2024 1:24 pm  #6

AMFM wrote:

They should be doing live shows today.  Radio is federally regulated; not provincial.  This is a provincial holiday.

Banks are also federally regulated but they're closed today. I believe provincial stat holidays apply to all workers in the province (unlike fed stats that aren't recognized provincially). I'm not a labour lawyer though so I could be wrong. 

February 19, 2024 1:30 pm  #7

It continues into the Rush, when Deb Hutton and her husband Tim Hudak, do a "Family Day" co-hosting gig together on 1010, something they do annually. AM640 is "best ofs" all day. 

Just for comparison, the pattern continues at Bell and Corus TV stations, as well. CTV did a noon news show, while Corus ran two home improvement type reality shows instead of its usual Global News at 12PM. Frankly, I didn't think either would have a newscast so the CTV one is a bonus. 

One last note - Michelle Jobin was back doing the weather. Anchor Andria Case noted she's been ill and that's why she hadn't been on for a while. Which may explain all those days of anchor weather. 

February 19, 2024 2:03 pm  #8

Kudos to the MITM team for playing special bumpers using songs from musical artists that were/are family. A bit of extra effort that added a nice touch to 1010's live Family Day show.

February 19, 2024 5:03 pm  #9

I just heard AM640 run its newscast, with the anchor saying, "This is Global news at 12 o'clock." The problem? It aired at 4 PM. I've heard of doing rerolls on a holiday but this is ridiculous.

February 19, 2024 6:34 pm  #10

Good for newstalk 1010.
Actually offering Family Day live programming means in cities that are not in a province where it is not a holiday will not have to listen to "best of " programs and old news.
On an unrelated note... I am disgusted beyond belief to learn that the city of Toronto has now cancelled free street parking on stat holidays as they have since time began.
This was done without any warning to the car driving public... no public service announcements, nothing.
So today many people will be parking at metered streets and getting tickets because they don't know.
Free parking on stat holidays used to be to me a way for the city to say, thanks to its tax paying citizens.
This new move is simply money grubbing and mean spirited.
Parking will not be free ever -- even on Christmas Day.

February 19, 2024 6:46 pm  #11

I think they're handing out mostly warnings for the first day. But beware of the stats that follow. 

February 19, 2024 8:50 pm  #12

newsguy1 wrote:

This was done without any warning to the car driving public... no public service announcements, nothing.

I wouldn't say it's been without warning. I've been hearing about it on talk radio for what seems like daily for the last week, to the point I'm sick of hearing about it every day. They issued a press release on Monday, February 12th:

https://www.tps.ca/media-centre/news-releases/58764/

And been picked up by much media including:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/toronto-police-parking-enforcement-statutory-holidays-1.7113219
https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/no-free-parking-in-toronto-starting-on-family-day-1.6765356
https://toronto.citynews.ca/2024/02/12/toronto-on-street-paid-parking-stat-holidays/
https://mobilesyrup.com/2024/02/13/toronto-police-will-enforce-paid-parking-on-public-streets-this-family-day/

February 19, 2024 9:11 pm  #13

Yes, but my point is there was no warning up until the last week or so.
Something like this should have been months ago and there should have been a transparent process.
And anyway, regardless of all that I still maintain it is a mean spirited move.
Oh, sure it no doubt fills civic coffers with more money from parking fines, but not charging for on street parking on stat holidays was a good natured concession on the part of the city.
It meant that on Christmas Day, New Years Day, Family Day, Easter Good Friday,Victoria Day Canada Day  Simcoe Day, Labour Day, Thanksgiving Day citizens who drive could get a break.

February 20, 2024 7:36 am  #14

This reflects Chow's war on the car. 

February 20, 2024 9:20 am  #15

Also reflects Chow's war on the huge deficit she inherited . This is just beginning, the 9.5% property tax hike is the first shot. I would feel for Toronto property owners, but sorry, I don't. 

February 20, 2024 11:33 am  #16

mic'em wrote:

Also reflects Chow's war on the huge deficit she inherited . This is just beginning, the 9.5% property tax hike is the first shot. I would feel for Toronto property owners, but sorry, I don't. 

Agreed. The problem started when Rob Ford was in power.
Eventually one has to pay the piper. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.