sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 17, 2024 4:30 pm  #1

Toronto Mike with update on Reshmi Nair and The Rush

https://www.torontomike.com/2024/01/of-reshmi-nair-and-1010s-the-rush/

Congrats to Toronto Mike on his detective work.

I wish Reshmi Nair well and hope she finds a good broadcasting job that allows her to shine.

Any guesses as to what happens with 1010's afternoon drive, and who'll take over the show?

Last edited by betaylored (February 17, 2024 4:37 pm)

February 17, 2024 8:08 pm  #2

Re: Toronto Mike with update on Reshmi Nair and The Rush

betaylored wrote:

Any guesses as to what happens with 1010's afternoon drive, and who'll take over the show?

My money is on John Tory, sooner or later. 

February 17, 2024 8:11 pm  #3

This is not surprising 

February 17, 2024 8:41 pm  #4

I suppose John Tory is a possibility.
He's certainly got lots of knowledge about the workings of business, government and all levels of government.
But it would be good to be able to inject a new fresh voice who also has solid credentials.
Also The Rush has tended to have two hosts who play off each other, so really would be best with two new voices.

February 17, 2024 8:56 pm  #5

newsguy1 wrote:

Also The Rush has tended to have two hosts who play off each other, so really would be best with two new voices. 

John Tory and Deb Hutton as the male/female duo?

Restoring John Moore to the afternoon shift and Tory/Hutton do that AM shift?

February 17, 2024 9:14 pm  #6

AspectRatio wrote:

newsguy1 wrote:

Tory and Hutton? That would cover the entire political spectrum from A to B.

February 18, 2024 11:21 am  #7

Hansa wrote:

AspectRatio wrote:

newsguy1 wrote:

Tory and Hutton? That would cover the entire political spectrum from A to B.

That would end it for me for 1010 morning shows because the last thing I want to hear in the morning is political babble between those two.   IMO, there's already too much political content through the day on 1010 as it is.   

February 18, 2024 11:33 am  #8

Well, if it was Tory, I doubt it would be Hutton. The best thing to do if you want a duo would be to have one right-leaning and another left-leaning host debating each other on the air over a variety of topics, with callers disputing one or the other. 

That would be interesting, but it precludes Hutton. Maybe Scott Reid as the second co-host?

February 18, 2024 12:14 pm  #9

One of Tory's strengths would be his contacts.  He is the one who could get Ford, Trudeau, Singh, Harper, any of the premiers, Chow, business leaders etc. on air with him.   Other hosts don't have the personal contacts. 

Tory knows all of these people, past and present, and they know that they will be treated fairly by him.  Because of this they would be much more likely to come on air for an interview.  I wouldn't be surprised if he could even get some international politicians to come on his show.  He has met many of them.  

John even knows many sports personalities and entertainers through his time as mayor and other positions he had, so all of these big "gets" don't always need to be political. 

Tory could loosen up a bit and not sound so much like a lawyer.  He does have a good sense of humour and this comes through once in a while.  Contrary to what some on here think, generally he is liked by most in Toronto.  Even during the last election, polls showed that most voting Torontonians would cast the ballot for him again, even after his personal issues and him stepping down.

Not sure a co-host would be a good idea.  Maybe in the afternoon but not in the morning if he does a flip with John Moore.