sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 13, 2024 12:45 pm  #1

Ottawa Radio Morning Show Crew The Latest Victims Of Bell Cuts

It's not often you see an entire morning show sacked. 

This was posted to Facebook around 11 AM Tuesday, and it affects the morning show on Move 100 (CJMJ-FM) in Ottawa. Co-host Angie Poirier is gone, as well. Not sure about Janel Steeper, but I suspect she may have been shown the door as well. 

The station's website lists its morning show as simply "Move Music Flow" starting at 6 AM.

February 13, 2024 1:03 pm  #2

Re: Ottawa Radio Morning Show Crew The Latest Victims Of Bell Cuts

RadioActive wrote:

It's not often you see an entire morning show sacked.

The most recent one that comes to mind would be CHFI when they sacked everyone to make way for Pooja & Gurdeep.

Last edited by Binson Echorec (February 13, 2024 1:04 pm)

February 13, 2024 3:22 pm  #3

The Ottawa Citizen has picked up this story, and confirms that the two female co-hosts have also been ousted. 

My question: are there more high profile dismissals to come? Richie Favalaro was also recently let go from CHUM-FM. 

Stuntman Stu's mic silenced as Bell Media cuts continue

February 13, 2024 4:23 pm  #4

Broadcast Dialogue reveals Ottawa isn't the only radio casualty in the Bell bloodbath. There's another duo out in Edmonton

February 13, 2024 4:31 pm  #5

Speaking of layoffs, this is actually pretty poignant - as well as sparking a hilarious but all too true reaction.  

Grover the Muppet becomes a journalist, shining a light on the plight of the industry

February 13, 2024 5:19 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

Speaking of layoffs, this is actually pretty poignant - as well as sparking a hilarious but all too true reaction.  

Grover the Muppet becomes a journalist, shining a light on the plight of the industry

When I was of an age where I regularly watched Sesame Street, Kermit the Frog was a news reporter. Did he hang up his mic?

February 13, 2024 6:13 pm  #7

I believe he was caught in a tryst with Miss Piggy and Mr. Snuffleupagus and it destroyed his news career.

February 14, 2024 5:46 pm  #8

Can you imagine the Sesame Street characters as media types...here is a run down of what they would be doing working in the media...

Oscar the Grouch- The bean counter and the CFO who would make the staff cuts

Miss Piggy who would go by "she/her" would be the entertainment reporter

Bert would have a role like Sid Seixeiro on a morning TV Show

Ernie would be the sports guy and ever time he would play a practical joke on his co-hosts, he would do that laugh of his

Big Bird would do traffic giving us the birds eye view

Elmo would do weather if the forecast is inaccurate like it has been for a while now, who could be mad at him, he is cute and likeable.

Kermit would move from reporter to the news director

Count Dracula would do business reports...the number 5, like the Dow was up 5 points, 5!

Cookie Monster would host a cooking show to rival Mary...

Telly Monster would be the news anchor (Telly tends to worry), so he'd fear every news story...

Snuffy would be the station care-taker (janitor), hoping for his big break on air...

That is your Muppet Media Line-up...

Last edited by Muffaraw Joe (February 14, 2024 5:48 pm)

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

February 14, 2024 5:57 pm  #9

Don't forget Guy Smiley, who was a reporter!

February 14, 2024 6:21 pm  #10

So, no announcers? That's why I listen to radio. I want to hear someone speak between the songs and ads and give me context, news or a joke. If I just want a music feed I'll switch on my Sonos and iTunes.

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

February 14, 2024 7:28 pm  #11

Leslieville Bill wrote:

So, no announcers? That's why I listen to radio. I want to hear someone speak between the songs and ads and give me context, news or a joke. If I just want a music feed I'll switch on my Sonos and iTunes.

They’ll be replaced. Probably with a show that moves to Ottawa from somewhere else and has to build that entire  local and audience relationship from scratch.

February 14, 2024 7:39 pm  #12

I bet this was in the works locally before the Bell announcement. Bell execs would not have communicated that they were selling 40+ stations to local management until the morning of. Blame the PD/GM if such a thing exists in the Ottawa cluster.   

February 14, 2024 9:33 pm  #13

Thank you, RA.  I was just going to pipe in with him myself.
(Personally, Grover has always been my favourite.)

RadioActive wrote:

Don't forget Guy Smiley, who was a reporter!

February 16, 2024 1:03 pm  #14

Sophie and Jeff move across the call from PURE Country Ottawa to MOVE 100, and the Kingston PURE Country morning show moves to Ottawa.

Presumably, PURE Country Kingston runs with no show, or the current show simulcast back from Ottawa until MY takes over.

February 16, 2024 2:21 pm  #15

RadioAaron wrote:

Sophie and Jeff move across the call from PURE Country Ottawa to MOVE 100, and the Kingston PURE Country morning show moves to Ottawa.

Presumably, PURE Country Kingston runs with no show, or the current show simulcast back from Ottawa until MY takes over.

Okay, so when MY takes over, maybe the Kingston station can have Stuntman Stu in the morning?  

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 16, 2024 2:39 pm  #16

The economics of that don't really add up.

February 16, 2024 2:48 pm  #17

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Okay, so when MY takes over, maybe the Kingston station can have Stuntman Stu in the morning?  

Perhaps a question for Jon "Asking Me Anything" Pole. 

February 16, 2024 2:57 pm  #18

I feel that the answer to the question "Do you want to spend the same on a single personality as you did on the station itself?" is a pretty safe "no"