sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 9, 2024 6:48 pm  #1

ASK ME ANYTHING

I keep getting told that my name is being brought up on the big yellow board, and that some of the finest commentors in the land have takes and opinions on our stations and my time at CJAD 800 and Newstalk 1010.  Thank you. Appreciated.  I think?

This weekend if you have a question, post it and I will answer it if I can.

If no one has question - that's cool.  I'll watch the Superbowl.

February 9, 2024 7:11 pm  #2

Re: ASK ME ANYTHING

Would you ever operate a radio station with a talk radio format?

February 9, 2024 7:16 pm  #3

Will you put John A. Macdonald's statue back up in Kingston?

February 9, 2024 7:17 pm  #4

I love talk radio.  It's a super viable format.  It can be expensive though and most important - you need a sales team that understands the value of foreground programming.

I love AM radio - but in our company we have avoided AM mostly because the hydro bills can get nuts and our market sizes mean music on FM is a better business model.

We did run a News and Sports mix in Peterbough with EXTRA 90.5 and we were just hitting our stride when the pandemic wiped it out.  Frankly, we learned that we didn't like depending on the CBS programming and couldn't afford to do 24/7 local.

I loved being on CJAD 800 and Newstalk 1010 and AM 800 CKLW as a talk show host - a real career highlight for a radio nerd like me!

Last edited by JON POLE (February 10, 2024 12:50 pm)

February 9, 2024 7:19 pm  #5

The Sir John A statue is above my pay grade.  I will make sure we have a newsroom that covers future news stories like that!

February 9, 2024 7:20 pm  #6

Why do oldie and classic rock  stations play the same 300 songs over and over?

February 9, 2024 7:31 pm  #7

I have noticed that voice tracking is really inconsistent on some stations.  Lousy mix between voice and music and sometimes the announcer tracks are way too loud, overemodulated and sound terrible.  Also why do some announcers only do about five breaks per hour when they voice track.  I have heard some say goodbye over 20 minutes before their program is over.  

Seems odd to me how radio stations can claim to be the best music mix, or playing today's favourites when they don't even mention who they have played or what the song was.  All this emphasis on music and never talking about it.  Another reason why VT is hurting what is going out on air. 

February 9, 2024 7:47 pm  #8

cash wrote:

Why do oldie and classic rock  stations play the same 300 songs over and over?

The very short answer is that you never get hurt playing the hits.

When a station plays a wider variety the listener research always comes back as " you play too many unfamiliar songs".

February 9, 2024 7:49 pm  #9

paterson1 wrote:

I have noticed that voice tracking is really inconsistent on some stations.  Lousy mix between voice and music and sometimes the announcer tracks are way too loud, overemodulated and sound terrible.  Also why do some announcers only do about five breaks per hour when they voice track.  I have heard some say goodbye over 20 minutes before their program is over.  

Seems odd to me how radio stations can claim to be the best music mix, or playing today's favourites when they don't even mention who they have played or what the song was.  All this emphasis on music and never talking about it.  Another reason why VT is hurting what is going out on air. 

Voice tracks are garbage in, garbage out.   Good jocks make it a show live or VT'd.   I suspect your audio issue is caused by jocks using home studios and hoping the processor fixes the issue.

Our average clock is 4 breaks an hour.   We use PlayoutOne which allows jocks to do some pretty cool stuff.

February 9, 2024 8:19 pm  #10

JON POLE wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

Voice tracks are garbage in, garbage out. Good jocks make it a show live or VT'd. I suspect your audio issue is caused by jocks using home studios and hoping the processor fixes the issue.

Our average clock is 4 breaks an hour. We use PlayoutOne which allows jocks to do some pretty cool stuff.

Wow 4 breaks per hour is pretty light on announcing.  Thanks for your answer Jon and continued success.  Good luck with the new stations in Kingston and Brockville.

February 9, 2024 8:20 pm  #11

paterson1 wrote:

JON POLE wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

Voice tracks are garbage in, garbage out. Good jocks make it a show live or VT'd. I suspect your audio issue is caused by jocks using home studios and hoping the processor fixes the issue.

Our average clock is 4 breaks an hour. We use PlayoutOne which allows jocks to do some pretty cool stuff.

Wow 4 breaks per hour is pretty light on announcing.  Thanks for your answer Jon and continued success.  Good luck with the new stations in Kingston and Brockville.

It depends on the hour.  On average it's 4.

February 9, 2024 9:28 pm  #12

Jon, I've listened to several of your stations, and appreciate what you're doing.

Of course you'll likely prefer not to answer this one but, have you ever been approached by some deep pockets to sell? Would you rule out such a sale in the next few years?

Well done on what you've achieved.

February 9, 2024 9:34 pm  #13

Dial Twister wrote:

Jon, I've listened to several of your stations, and appreciate what you're doing.

Of course you'll likely prefer not to answer this one but, have you ever been approached by some deep pockets to sell? Would you rule out such a sale in the next few years?

Well done on what you've achieved.

Thank you, it's a team effort.   We have never been approached in an official way.  I don't think you can ever rule out anything... I would like to retire some day in the future... I don't see anything that would make me think the timeline would be in the next few years.  Of course, if Ed McMahon showed up with a fancy TV sized cheque.... LOL.

February 9, 2024 9:37 pm  #14

Why did you stop your podcast.

The 12 of us that listened loved it

Plus, I’m still game to buy that property in Florida

February 9, 2024 9:40 pm  #15

Would you ever consider the television business?

February 9, 2024 9:59 pm  #16

Long time listener first time caller here. With the new stations you are getting I saw last night there is no job cuts coming, which is good. Will there be any format changes there or elsewhere, maybe to streamline formats or brandings you have? Mainly I am looking to see if there will be any more FREQ stations elsewhere. I understand if you cannot answer yet but I am just curious. As a listener that is what I am curious about the most. 
I appreciate you as an owner of a station coming on and discuss things here. I cannot remember a time when a radio station owner actually listened to what people have to say and wanted to address what is being said. 
As for FREQ, I tell everyone I can about it and have even got friends from BC and Alberta tuning in because of the sound and mixshows. I would love hearing this format at more stations. If I recall one of the stations you are buying in Kingston had a format similar to FREQ previously and was a good station. 

Thank you for what you are doing with local radio and keep up the good work

February 9, 2024 10:07 pm  #17

Mr magoogain wrote:

Why did you stop your podcast.

The 12 of us that listened loved it

Plus, I’m still game to buy that property in Florida

We had a solid 12 and the downloads weren't too bad.   I stopped primarily because I didn't have the time.   It was fun.  I learned alot too.

February 9, 2024 10:12 pm  #18

brian451 wrote:

Long time listener first time caller here. With the new stations you are getting I saw last night there is no job cuts coming, which is good. Will there be any format changes there or elsewhere, maybe to streamline formats or brandings you have? Mainly I am looking to see if there will be any more FREQ stations elsewhere. I understand if you cannot answer yet but I am just curious. As a listener that is what I am curious about the most. 
I appreciate you as an owner of a station coming on and discuss things here. I cannot remember a time when a radio station owner actually listened to what people have to say and wanted to address what is being said. 
As for FREQ, I tell everyone I can about it and have even got friends from BC and Alberta tuning in because of the sound and mixshows. I would love hearing this format at more stations. If I recall one of the stations you are buying in Kingston had a format similar to FREQ previously and was a good station. 

Thank you for what you are doing with local radio and keep up the good work

Thank you.   I love Freq.   Our team does an incredible job.  Graham and Emily get all the credit.  Bill Porter is the king of the mixed shows.  I would love to have more.  We have some really cool ideas on where it should go.

As for Kingston and Brockville - our process is pretty simple, we don't break what isn't broke and we research and fix what is.  They have incredible local teams - so we will start with supporting and listening to them and build from there.

February 9, 2024 10:15 pm  #19

cash wrote:

Would you ever consider the television business?

I originally wanted to get into TV but I love radio.  TV takes too many people    I don't think the TV business model works with our model either.  I'll leave it with smarter guys and gals.

February 10, 2024 12:27 am  #20

I have a follow up question.
Why don’t any of your stations list the on air staff on the websites? I enjoy going to station sites and seeing who works there. In my opinion it gives a personal connection to the talent that entertains us.

February 10, 2024 12:34 am  #21

I'm listening to NY The Sprit tonight but assume it's not a viable business model for you. Have you found an optimal local radio business model to serve your towns that would work these days?

February 10, 2024 5:34 am  #22

brian451 wrote:

I have a follow up question.
Why don’t any of your stations list the on air staff on the websites? I enjoy going to station sites and seeing who works there. In my opinion it gives a personal connection to the talent that entertains us.

Good question.   The answer is two-fold.

1.  Personally, I hate when radio stations put meaning less stuff on their website.   I don't really care which 5 albums someone is taking to a desert island.   More important - the return on the time and effort is not there to "do it right".  We only have so much time.

2.   And this should probably be #1 - our websites are about the user.  They're not focused on "the station" but rather what the user wants.  All of our research shows that is local news which is why we make that the priority. (And ads to pay the bills)  We're building our websites as "second stations" so we have more inventory and reach non-radio users too.

I understand your point, never hurts to go back to the drawing board either.  I appreciate the feedback.  The way we're doing is not "the way", just the best way so far.

February 10, 2024 5:44 am  #23

dsgraham wrote:

I'm listening to NY The Sprit tonight but assume it's not a viable business model for you. Have you found an optimal local radio business model to serve your towns that would work these days?

Something like NY has to be a passion project that grows into something bigger.   It creates its own community.  It's not easy, but possible.  In a loose way you could use Joe Rogan or Barstool Sports as example of passion projects that became very successful.  What I mean is they didn't follow "a model" - they created their own.

For us, we have found great success with our model which is:

1.  You have to have a sales system.  You cannot rely on the old way of selling. 

2.  Your product has to be community focused.   

In the context of a post this sounds easy.  It's not.  We have an amazing team that has to work with limited budgets, smaller markets and all the stuff the world throws at us.  We are not perfect radio stations - we are works in progress.   However, we win way more than we lose.   

I would add... we also try tons of new stuff... and some of it fails.  We're OK with that.

February 10, 2024 9:31 am  #24

Question - looking at ads for a number of small market radio stations recently, it seems that many companies want employees to be a jack/jill-of-all-trades. Host an airshift, read newscasts on occasion, attend community events as a reporter, post stories on social media, even do some sales from time-to-time. Does My Broadcasting have this expectation of its employees?

February 10, 2024 9:43 am  #25

BowmanvilleBob wrote:

Question - looking at ads for a number of small market radio stations recently, it seems that many companies want employees to be a jack/jill-of-all-trades. Host an airshift, read newscasts on occasion, attend community events as a reporter, post stories on social media, even do some sales from time-to-time. Does My Broadcasting have this expectation of its employees?

Being a multi-Tasker is never a bad thing.  Personally, as a kid who wanted to learn everything about the business I can say that curiosity and desire to learn has served me well throughout my career.

We have news people who do remotes, a few do some on-air shifts.  Same with some sales people.   All of these are based on the person wanting to do it for the fun or experience or extra dough.

We encourage our team to be as involved in the business of "what we do" as they like.

That said - it's not an expectation that everyone will do everything.  Most our team are focused on their primary job.  In my experience, in our markets we all have a "can do" attitude.   Radio is fun.  Trying new stuff is fun.

February 10, 2024 10:23 am  #26

My first radio job at 18 was a jack of all type. I did hourly  newscasts, although primarily rip and read from the  wire machine, spun records, and at midnight, changed the master log tape, emptied the waste  baskets, swept the floors and refilled the toilet paper rolls as needed . Also had to lock up, and then take the door key to the GM's house on my way home and leave it under the mat. This was 1974, I made $2.50 an hour for a 6-12 shift . I thought I was in heaven. 

February 10, 2024 11:36 am  #27

Jon, based on your offer to answer questions, plus the manner in which you answer them, tells me that you're a better-than-average boss. I'm betting the majority of your staff appreciates the leadership team they work with.

Keep on truckin'.

February 10, 2024 12:48 pm  #28

Dial Twister wrote:

Jon, based on your offer to answer questions, plus the manner in which you answer them, tells me that you're a better-than-average boss. I'm betting the majority of your staff appreciates the leadership team they work with.

Keep on truckin'.

Thank you.  I appreciate the kind words. I'm sure, like anyone - I have good days and bad   There is no question, it's our people who make the difference.

February 10, 2024 4:11 pm  #29

I'm happily retired and don't need a job, but I can't help but feel a desire to work for Jon Pole 

February 10, 2024 4:36 pm  #30

In Phase wrote:

I'm happily retired and don't need a job, but I can't help but feel a desire to work for Jon Pole 

Ditto (although not a Limbaugh ditto). 😁