sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 13, 2024 11:04 am  #1

CFRB Upside Down: Tory In The Morning; Moore In The Afternoon

It's a one day only anomaly, but it's a strange one. On Wednesday, John Tory will be subbing again for John Moore on the morning shift. But unlike last week, Moore isn't off. He'll be taking "The Rush" afternoon shift, the latest in a long, long line of replacements for the mysteriously departed Reshmi Nair, now gone for several months. 

There's no explanation as to why they'd displace Moore and not just let Tory do his old afternoon drive shift, the one he did when he worked at 'RB.

Everything should be back to normal on Thursday.

Well, as normal as things get these days at 1010. 

February 13, 2024 12:29 pm  #2

Re: CFRB Upside Down: Tory In The Morning; Moore In The Afternoon

RadioActive wrote:

It's a one day only anomaly, but it's a strange one. On Wednesday, John Tory will be subbing again for John Moore on the morning shift. But unlike last week, Moore isn't off. He'll be taking "The Rush" afternoon shift, the latest in a long, long line of replacements for the mysteriously departed Reshmi Nair, now gone for several months. 

There's no explanation as to why they'd displace Moore and not just let Tory do his old afternoon drive shift, the one he did when he worked at 'RB.

Everything should be back to normal on Thursday.

Well, as normal as things get these days at 1010. 

Rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic, or in 1010's case, the 'Minnow'.

February 13, 2024 12:47 pm  #3

Occam's Razor - they need a fill in for The Rush but Tory is unavailable for the afternoon, hence the swap. As stated in the OP, it's a one day anomaly. While not ideal, nobody will get hurt.

February 13, 2024 12:55 pm  #4

Binson Echorec wrote:

Occam's Razor - they need a fill in for The Rush but Tory is unavailable for the afternoon, hence the swap. As stated in the OP, it's a one day anomaly. While not ideal, nobody will get hurt.

Except if there are morning commuters who fall asleep during the morning rush.

February 13, 2024 1:04 pm  #5

John is going to a Canadian citizenship ceremony for I believe Joe Cristiano.
He mentioned it on his show this morning.

February 13, 2024 1:27 pm  #6

denisecanuck wrote:

John is going to a Canadian citizenship ceremony for I believe Joe Cristiano.
He mentioned it on his show this morning.

Yes, I believe I do recall hearing him talk about this a few days ago on his show. If I remember it correctly, there was some issue about the number of guests a New Canadian could take with him, and his producer was understandably going to take his lady to the ceremony. I recall Moore saying he was disappointed he wouldn't be able to go. If what you say is correct, and I'm sure it is, it appears they've resolved this issue.

February 13, 2024 1:35 pm  #7

I guess we will find out tomorrow.

Didn't hear the location for room for guests.

February 13, 2024 3:27 pm  #8

Why do so many of us wring our hands over the latest developments on, or about, CFRB?

Given its noble history, it's somehow still shocking to observe the spectacular fall from grace due to both fading (no pun intended) technology and a series of outstandingly inept management teams.

February 13, 2024 6:57 pm  #9

I'm wondering what it would be like if John Moore returned to the afternoon drive, either for a few months to give him a breather from the constraints of getting up early and doing MITM, or full-time to give him more scope.

It would be seen by some as a step back but are the powers that be at 1010 looking at this as a possibility.

Because this John Moore/John Tory switcheroo even as a one time event feels.....off? odd? when you factor in John Moore's recent absences from Moore In the Morning even if it is for such an important and happy ceremony. And congratulations to Joe Cristiano! 🇨🇦😁

Last edited by betaylored (February 13, 2024 7:01 pm)

February 13, 2024 7:39 pm  #10

With all these changes and layoffs that are happening with Bell perhaps  John Moore is seeking other options.

February 14, 2024 10:02 am  #11

Dial Twister wrote:

Why do so many of us wring our hands over the latest developments on, or about, CFRB?

Given its noble history, it's somehow still shocking to observe the spectacular fall from grace due to both fading (no pun intended) technology and a series of outstandingly inept management teams.

Agreed Dial Twister. CFRB has taken a beating as of late. I still enjoy MITM, Sunday Morning Trivia and quite often tune in to Jim Richards. Technology and bad management has a lot to do with their demise. Still, Bell made over 2 Billion profit last year, guess that wasn’t enough for them. Greedy bastards.

February 14, 2024 8:38 pm  #12

Rather enjoyed John Moore in the afternoon. That shift is an entirely different animal than the AM run and is slightly more laid back, so it provides extra time for some different kind of features. He sounded a bit more relaxed and with it, and while I doubt he'll ever be back on it full time, it might be good for him. 

As for who could take over the all-important morning run, that's anyone's guess.

February 14, 2024 9:52 pm  #13

I loved John Moore in the afternoons.  Cocktail Hour, the entertainment stuff with Ann Chatillon, John's way of telling a story or explaining something.  Plus I miss the theme from Kill Bill played at the beginning.  Talk radio still had me between 2003 and 2009.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

February 15, 2024 4:19 pm  #14

I used to enjoy Mr. Tory, but since he's been back doing fill-in hosting on RB his talk just seems to be endless, almost to the point where he does not even take a breath or pause.  He seems to just drone on and on.
Is it just me, or do any others feel the same?

February 15, 2024 4:39 pm  #15

JB866 wrote:

He seems to just drone on and on.

He has for decades. The sound of his own voice is some strange ASMR therapy for him.

February 15, 2024 4:43 pm  #16

During the shift as John was taking calls on a few different topics, several listeners commented on how much they were enjoying hearing him during the afternoon and how he was more relaxed and cheerier.

I'll be happy as long as John's on the radio, mornings or afternoons, Moore In the Afternoon! MITA works too, but it was a lot of fun and interesting to be able to hear him chat for a reasonable length of time about all sorts of things, including attending Joe Cristiano's citizenship ceremony.

I'm a big believer in tone of voice as an indicator of subconscious feelings (example: the last and currently MIA host of The Rush) and even though John Moore is an actor and on-air personality, and capable of putting a positive game face on, he sounded extremely comfortable to be on-air during the afternoon, almost like he was back home.

February 15, 2024 5:03 pm  #17

JB866 wrote:

I used to enjoy Mr. Tory, but since he's been back doing fill-in hosting on RB his talk just seems to be endless, almost to the point where he does not even take a breath or pause.  He seems to just drone on and on.
Is it just me, or do any others feel the same?

Tory's always had a case of verbal diarrhea, and after his many failures, has no place pontificating on any subject.  I will never listen to him again, regardless of station or time slot.

February 15, 2024 5:10 pm  #18

Chrisphen wrote:

JB866 wrote:

He seems to just drone on and on.

He has for decades. The sound of his own voice is some strange ASMR therapy for him.

And, sadly, as mayor it was all talk. Major accomplishments? Not so much.

Last edited by Dial Twister (February 15, 2024 5:10 pm)

February 16, 2024 6:12 pm  #19

I listened to John Moore this morning and he talked about doing the afternoon show earlier this week.  Sounds like he really enjoyed it!  Who knows, maybe he will be sitting in that seat permanently.

February 16, 2024 8:21 pm  #20

Listener wrote:

I listened to John Moore this morning and he talked about doing the afternoon show earlier this week. Sounds like he really enjoyed it! Who knows, maybe he will be sitting in that seat permanently.

But what will Rushmi do?