sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 7, 2024 8:12 am  #1

CFRC Radio Is Queen University’s Best-Kept Secret

At least according to its student newspaper. I loved my time in college radio. You can make mistakes, learn a lot and decide if this crazy industry really is for you.

For some it wasn't. But those who got the bug and couldn't let it go tried to make a living out of it.

If you can call that living...

CFRC Radio Is Queen University’s Best-Kept Secret  

February 7, 2024 9:03 am  #2

Re: CFRC Radio Is Queen University’s Best-Kept Secret

In 2006, while in Kingston visiting family, I was able to check out CFRC's studios at Carruthers Hall. Just inside the station entrance was a display of vintage equipment, and in the two control rooms, lots of gear, and no real automation in sight, just a Mac with iTunes to play recorded content. What impressed me the most was the acoustics in the rooms - no echo/reflections at all!

Campus radio for me was a good stepping stone to commercial radio, first with a Grade 12 co-op placement at Trent Radio in Peterborough, followed by more than a year on Loyalist College's CJLX. The latter was primarily a "teaching station" for the college's radio broadcasting and broadcast journalism students, mostly programmed like a commercial station, and when I was there, was the only station in the area playing any kind of rock format... 'LX ran rock/alternative for the majority of the week, with a maximum of 25% hits, not counting newer Canadian hits.

We in the radio class of '03 had a lot of fun running CJLX in the 2002-2003 academic year, and it was one of my favourite times in the early part of my radio career.

February 7, 2024 9:22 am  #3

I found it interesting that in 1954, CFRC had an FM signal on 91.9 which simulcast 1490. Probably very few FM  receivers available back then.

February 7, 2024 7:11 pm  #4

College radio represents the headwaters of the industry. There are efforts by some to eliminate it. These must be crushed.