sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 26, 2024 5:11 pm  #1

U.S. TV Guide Informs Viewers About A New Innovation - A TV Antenna

They say everything old is new again. Which may explain why, with the price of cable and streaming services always seeming to go up, the American TV Guide has rediscovered a freebie in these days where everything is expensive - an old fashion but new fangled TV antenna. In this week's issue, it tries to tell viewers who may have never even seen one about the benefits of over-the-air TV. Especially the one time only cost of the antenna itself, after which everything is free. 

I'm not sure how well the ones they recommend would work for getting Buffalo and its various subcarriers here in the GTA. A lot depends on how far away you are from the transmitter. And while not everyone is as lucky as I am to have a 40' tower and a rotor, if you buy one they recommend and it doesn't work (remember to account for weather conditions on various days), chances are you can always send it back.

Here's what they told their readers in this week's edition:

January 26, 2024 5:18 pm  #2

Re: U.S. TV Guide Informs Viewers About A New Innovation - A TV Antenna

Speaking of everything old, here's one of my favourite cartoons from TV Guide back in the mid-60s. Substitute a smart phone for the last image and you'll see why, though they could never have imagined it back then, it still stands up today!

January 26, 2024 5:56 pm  #3

OTA's moment to shine was when HD broadcasts hit critical mass; when much of what people wanted to watch was still on network TV.

Today, it's a useful addition to a TV setup - live sports being the biggest draw - btr that dam is leaking, too.

Any other attempt to grow OTA is too little, too late.

Last edited by RadioAaron (January 26, 2024 5:56 pm)

January 28, 2024 8:46 am  #4

RadioActive wrote:

They say everything old is new again. Which may explain why, with the price of cable and streaming services always seeming to go up, the American TV Guide has rediscovered a freebie in these days where everything is expensive - an old fashion but new fangled TV antenna. In this week's issue, it tries to tell viewers who may have never even seen one about the benefits of over-the-air TV. Especially the one time only cost of the antenna itself, after which everything is free. 

I'm not sure how well the ones they recommend would work for getting Buffalo and its various subcarriers here in the GTA. A lot depends on how far away you are from the transmitter. And while not everyone is as lucky as I am to have a 40' tower and a rotor, if you buy one they recommend and it doesn't work (remember to account for weather conditions on various days), chances are you can always send it back.

Here's what they told their readers in this week's edition:

These antennnas would be ideal for GTA residents who wanted to cut the cord to receive the Toronto channels. However, most residents here have always preferred to watch the Buffalo stations, so an outdoor version is their only option.

January 28, 2024 1:15 pm  #5

I've been using the same antenna for more than three decades. It's on a 30' tower with a rotor too. 
Newer antennas are much smaller and pull in 45 to 55 channels in the Niagara region; all digital and of course, free.  I've installed many as a side hustle I used to have and you can use a small 4 bay (in most cases) to relieve everything from Buffalo, Hamilton and Toronto.

You can connect one single antenna up to as many as four TVs and watch four different channels at the same time.  There are DVR options available too.  (I've been using Tablo for about 8 or 9 years).

For best results, install your antenna outside.  Height does make a difference, but a tower isn't necessary:  a tripod in your roof with a mast will work just as well.  Just remember:  There is  NO SUCH THING AS AN HD ANTENNA. That's a marketing gimmick.

I watch the Superbowl every year and have the option to watch it on an American or Canadian channel...I'm sure you can guess which one I watch it on!

January 28, 2024 4:16 pm  #6

January 31, 2024 7:57 am  #7

I keep seeing this 2-minute long infomercial on Buffalo subcarriers for a product called "Clear TV," an antenna that supposedly will bring viewers a huge array of over-the-air TV channels they couldn't get before. The claims made in this thing are simply incredible. 

It promises "crystal clear" 4K reception of digital signals in your home, your apartment, your RV and even - if you have one - your boat. Sounds great. But then you look at this thing and it appears to be nothing but an FM-like radio antenna in a special case. 

I suppose it could bring in some stations, because it's better than nothing. But anyone who buys this and doesn't live close to a transmitter is likely to be very disappointed. But hey, it's only $19.95 plus $8 shipping and handling! What could go wrong?

They do offer a money back guarantee. I hope they honour it!

Clear TV Antenna