sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 25, 2024 1:37 pm  #1

Bad Boy Furniture Officially Bankrupt

Not really a direct media story, but Bad Boy has been a major advertiser on TV, radio and newspapers for decades.  Appears the company is officially bankrupt...NNNNOOO MMMONEY.  More from Zoomer Radio..
https://zoomerradio.ca/news/2024/01/25/lastmans-bad-boy-officially-bankrupt-after-failing-to-restructure/

January 25, 2024 3:26 pm  #2

Re: Bad Boy Furniture Officially Bankrupt

What a great scam. Collect all that money, then tell people they have to pay the liquidated price (pay twice) to get their stuff.

Not only that, but they'll probably open up a new store under a new name and repeat this crap all over again...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 25, 2024 3:31 pm  #3

Mel must be turning over in his grave. This was his baby.

Don't know if you heard, but they dug him up and you what they found?

No Body!

January 25, 2024 4:50 pm  #4

The fact checker in me is a bit annoyed that the media is reporting that Bad Boy is going out of business "after 70 years". In fact, Mel Lastman sold the original Bad Boy in 1975 and it was eventually taken over by The Brick. In 1991 son Blaine Lastman started a new furniture chain and was able to use the old Bad Boy name and logo as the trademark had lapsed so really the company is going out of business after 30 years.

Last edited by Hansa (January 25, 2024 6:32 pm)

January 25, 2024 5:38 pm  #5

Good news for The Brick and Leon's 

January 25, 2024 7:17 pm  #6

1977: The new Bad Boy owners were petitioned into bankruptcy by an unhappy creditor, the Star reported. Creditors were owed $6 million

Hansa wrote:

The fact checker in me is a bit annoyed that the media is reporting that Bad Boy is going out of business "after 70 years". In fact, Mel Lastman sold the original Bad Boy in 1975 and it was eventually taken over by The Brick. In 1991 son Blaine Lastman started a new furniture chain and was able to use the old Bad Boy name and logo as the trademark had lapsed so really the company is going out of business after 30 years.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

January 25, 2024 10:00 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

Mel must be turning over in his grave. This was his baby.

Don't know if you heard, but they dug him up and you what they found?

No Body!

That's Terrible ... LOL
Haaaaaaaaaaaa!
:D

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

January 26, 2024 3:34 am  #8

ig wrote:

1977: The new Bad Boy owners were petitioned into bankruptcy by an unhappy creditor, the Star reported. Creditors were owed $6 million

Hansa wrote:

Okay, as long as Bad Boy had nothing to do with Stewart's. 
I remember their over use of the word FACT like it was yesterday. (I was very young. I remember tons of Brick ads replaced Stewart's ads on TV after Stewart's left the scene)
FACT: Stewart's is going out of Business  FACT: Every furniture and appliance must go. 
FACT: Hurry before Stewart's Closes their doors forever!

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 26, 2024 5:29 am  #9

Radiowiz wrote:

Okay, as long as Bad Boy had nothing to do with Stewart's. 
I remember their over use of the word FACT like it was yesterday. (I was very young. I remember tons of Brick ads replaced Stewart's ads on TV after Stewart's left the scene)
FACT: Stewart's is going out of Business  FACT: Every furniture and appliance must go. 
FACT: Hurry before Stewart's Closes their doors forever!

I remember the Stewart's TV commercials very well...   it seemed like they were "Going out of business... The doors are closing forever!" for the better part of three years...

January 26, 2024 8:06 pm  #10

Bad Boy is still advertising their "liquidation sale"

Saw an ad on tonight's CTV Toronto 6pm newscast

January 27, 2024 5:19 pm  #11

Ironically, Bad Boy was recently featured on Terry O'Reilly's Under The Influence show. 

Interesting stuff about Mel Lastman and the history of the store starts at about the 6:45 mark here:

https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radio/1-70-under-the-influence/clip/16036082-hurts-so-good-when-bad-commercials-become-cult

How could Hell be worse?

January 27, 2024 5:54 pm  #12

The Barrie store was taking people's money right up to the moment the announcement of the bankruptcy was made. A young couple with small kids were interviewed on CTV2 out in front of the store after they were asked to leave and the door locked in their faces. They had 6500$ basically stolen from them. This  was just one example, there was a crowd out front demanding  refunds.