sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 24, 2024 9:20 pm  #1

Melanie Safka Of "Brand New Key" Fame Dies at 76

The first time I ever heard Melanie's rather unusual voice, it was on a music show hosted by Lloyd Thaxton and she did a really dumb novelty song called "Animal Crackers" and another called "I'm Back In Town." They were terrific but I never guessed at the success she would have just a few years later.

She finally made the charts with "Brand New Key," a huge hit centered around roller skating, and likely her greatest success, "Lay Down (Candles In The Rain)," partially based on her experience performing at Woodstock in 1969. 

Her death was announced on Wednesday although no cause was given. She was only 76.

Melanie, ‘Brand New Key’ Folk Singer Who Played Woodstock, Dead at 76

I believe SOWNY member John Donabie knew her and was a fan, so my condolences to him. 

January 24, 2024 10:21 pm  #2

Re: Melanie Safka Of "Brand New Key" Fame Dies at 76

Toronto's Dave Foley brought this song back to "life" in the post-apocalyptic radio skit in the Kids in the Hall's excellent Amazon Prime comeback a couple years ago.

Last edited by RadioAaron (January 24, 2024 10:25 pm)

January 24, 2024 11:48 pm  #3

Melanie was one of my favourite interviews. We spoke for over an hour and she was very giving. I'm in the process of digitizing my over 1000 interviews with celebrities. Haven't digitized Melanie's tape yet, but now I will. Sad news. Very wonderful woman, writer and singer.

January 25, 2024 8:09 am  #4

RadioAaron wrote:

Toronto's Dave Foley brought this song back to "life" in the post-apocalyptic radio skit in the Kids in the Hall's excellent Amazon Prime comeback a couple years ago.

Loved this skit, although somewhat disturbing! Thought it was one of the standouts from the Kids in the Hall comeback.

January 25, 2024 10:58 am  #5

I am absolutely devastated, RA. We were indeed very close in the 70s and later we reunited in person at Hugh's Room.  I remember going food shopping with her in Kensington Market.  Only fresh vegetables and herbs for her.  But no Booze.  This was for a record launch party that Quality records was putting on by Scott Robbins.  I was her MC at Massey Hall shows, and she and her late husband Peter Schekeryk kept in touch.  I am deeply, deeply saddened to hear this news.  Too soon gone.  RIP

January 25, 2024 2:17 pm  #6

John D wrote:

I am absolutely devastated, RA. We were indeed very close in the 70s and later we reunited in person at Hugh's Room.  I remember going food shopping with her in Kensington Market.  Only fresh vegetables and herbs for her.  But no Booze.  This was for a record launch party that Quality records was putting on by Scott Robbins.  I was her MC at Massey Hall shows, and she and her late husband Peter Schekeryk kept in touch.  I am deeply, deeply saddened to hear this news.  Too soon gone.  RIP

John sent me this pic from 1969, featuring the two of them together. It looks like they were both having a grand old time. 

January 25, 2024 5:44 pm  #7

The above picture was taken at the Hampton Court across from the old CBC building on Jarvis St.  Elwood Glover did his TV show from that location.

January 25, 2024 6:38 pm  #8

My favourite song of hers was her first, "Beautiful People", originally released in 1967 but got no national chart action. Should've been a bigger hit, IMHO.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

January 25, 2024 6:47 pm  #9

Dale Patterson wrote:

My favourite song of hers was her first, "Beautiful People", originally released in 1967 but got no national chart action. Should've been a bigger hit, IMHO. 

January 25, 2024 6:53 pm  #10

I recall "Lay Down (Candles In The Rain)" being a Psychedelic Psunday favourite. The full 7-minute version of course.

January 30, 2024 9:04 pm  #11

January 30, 2024 9:20 pm  #12

Thanks for that link, RA.

January 31, 2024 9:24 am  #13

Thank you very much RA.

February 1, 2024 9:11 pm  #14

John D wrote:

Thank you very much RA.

John, you may find this piece on Melanie, by Bob Lefsetz, to be enlightening. And, given the number of us moving into older age, there's a pointed message that should be of interest.

"It was a whole subculture, and Melanie was part of it. We had no idea her last name was Safka. That kind of information was not available. And I didn’t know anybody who owned the album, the one with the large letters and her picture on the cover, although I saw it in the bin every time I went to the record store, which was a lot.

And then came the Woodstock movie" ...

https://celebrityaccess.com/2024/01/29/the-lefsetz-letter-melanie/

February 1, 2024 9:36 pm  #15

What I find curious is that Melanie's name was not listed in the original Woodstock program guide about the acts playing at the concert. Was she a late add? If not, why wasn't she on there?

February 1, 2024 9:54 pm  #16

RA, I think that, although she was doing well in Europe, she was not well known in America prior to Woodstock...thus her name wouldn't have helped with promotion.

February 1, 2024 11:02 pm  #17

You could be right, but I thought they would put all their performers in their list of who's on when. That page above is from the actual Woodstock program. It surprises me she's not there. I'm not sure, but is she the only act at that legendary event that was left off the list?

February 2, 2024 9:06 am  #18

Mystery solved, RA. The reason that Melanie didn't appear on the event promotional material is that she was a fill-in, not a scheduled act.

February 2, 2024 9:46 am  #19

Thanks for your prodigious research skills! That explains it, for sure. 

February 2, 2024 10:07 am  #20

Sorry to say this, but my spidey-senses are tingling.

A couple of days after Melanie's death, I began wondering why the cause of death wasn't being announced. Now, more than a week after her death, I 'think' I know what may have killed her. The clues begin at 4:26 in this interview...

From 2020...

I hope I'm wrong. To lose your life over disinformation is sad and, frankly, irresponsible to family, friends and fans. Please let me be wrong.

February 2, 2024 11:02 am  #21

Dale Patterson wrote:

The New Seekers had some minor success [#67] with their version in January 1971.