sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 24, 2024 12:54 pm  #1

CHML 50th Anniversary Guide Features A SOWNY Legend

This special publication was put out in 1977 - the 50th anniversary of CHML Hamilton. It features a lot of info, ads and pics, all of which would now be called "vintage." It's certainly a memory flogger of a station that's long since changed. Among those saluted in the tribute issue are classic names like Paul Hanover, Lee Dunbar and Bob Bratina.

And there's also a familiar voice who also happens to be a SOWNY member. All these years later, I'm sure he hasn't changed a bit!

You can see the special edition here

January 24, 2024 4:50 pm  #2

Re: CHML 50th Anniversary Guide Features A SOWNY Legend

900 CHML is nothing but a clone of AM640 now, especially since Bill Kelly was dropped.

January 24, 2024 5:05 pm  #3

I still have my copy. It was an insert in the Monday, February 28, 1977 edition of the Hamilton Spectator. There was also a great series of one-hour specials focusing on each decade... Something that wouldn't happen today. I recorded each one but interference compromised quality.

January 24, 2024 6:02 pm  #4

What an amazing amount of talent in that publication. I feel honoured to have worked with many of them.

January 24, 2024 6:09 pm  #5

Thanks for this, RA. CHML has always been a special station for me, with stints in the early ‘60s, later ‘60s,
mid ‘70s and a fourth time during the first half of the 1980s.
It’s said you are known by the company you keep; how could you go wrong with ‘ML?
Look at the talent in every department through the years and you know they could work anywhere. Many
didn’t want to be anywhere else.
Damn right, I wanted to work at 900…CHML. I couldn’t wait.

January 24, 2024 7:42 pm  #6

It wasn't that long ago that if you wanted to work in major radio news it was either CHML, CFRB or CBC.