sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 17, 2024 1:10 pm  #1

CRTC Issues Call To See If There's Room For New FM Stn. In Vancouver

There's so little room on the FM band in major Canadian cities these days that it's notable when space is still available. Which brings us to Vancouver, where an existing station, Durham Radio's CIWV-FM, has applied for a rebroadcasting transmitter to improve its signal.

The catch? They're asking for 98.7, the last free FM frequency there. 

That request has forced the CRTC to call for comments on whether that market has room for another station, even if it is an existing one. If the Commission decides there is, it could open up applications for others to apply for a licence.

"The Commission expects persons interested in serving the Vancouver radio market to express their interest during the intervention period [Feb. 19th.] Should little or no interest be expressed to serve that radio market, the Commission may publish the application for consideration during the non-appearing phase of a public hearing rather than issue a call for applications."

This one could be interesting to keep an eye on. Vancouver is an attractive market and I have to believe, even with radio's struggles, there would be a lot of broadcasters interested in grabbing that final spot on the dial, if it's decided there's room for more. The CRTC deadline on this is March 5th. 

CRTC Release

January 17, 2024 1:14 pm  #2

Re: CRTC Issues Call To See If There's Room For New FM Stn. In Vancouver

The tricky part would be that should the commission open a call for other applications, those applicants would have to use another frequency other than 98.7. I believe it's still the case that any other use of that frequency would have to be approved by Durham as it's second-adjacent to their own 98.3.

January 17, 2024 1:52 pm  #3

I thought -- maybe incorrectly -- that the CRTC put new applications on hold for quite some time to come...?

January 17, 2024 1:54 pm  #4

Saul wrote:

I thought -- maybe incorrectly -- that the CRTC put new applications on hold for quite some time to come...?

They said this one was received prior to that announcement.

January 17, 2024 2:25 pm  #5

Radio Aaron is right second adjacency is a problem. Adding a peashooter to another peashooter might give Durham a better shot at the market.

January 17, 2024 2:37 pm  #6

For those not familiar with CIWV-FM, it's the former Roundhouse Radio, which attracted a number of posts here in 2018.

Station website

Source: Wikipedia

January 17, 2024 7:45 pm  #7

The Durham Radio playbook seems to be to apply for something and then immediately complain that it won’t work for them.
Is the 5th time they’ve done it?  I recall that it didn’t work last time.

January 17, 2024 10:27 pm  #8

CIWV is HD2 on Durham’s 94.7 and 95.9 here..
Sounds good but is anyone listening??