sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 17, 2024 12:42 pm  #1

CFOS Owen Sound Wants Off The AM Band

Bayshore Broadcasting has applied to the CRTC to transfer its long time 560 AM CFOS signal to FM, changing to 89.3 with a power of 1,500 watts. That's a far cry from how well the station currently propagates - you can get it most days fairly clearly in Toronto. That will end if the transfer is approved. 

So what happens to the oldies? Turns out the old 50s adage is true - rock and roll will never die.

"The applicant indicated that the station’s programming format would remain the same, consisting of a mix of news, talk, and music targeting the adult population over 50 years of age."

I have to wonder if that will continue once they've been on the new band for a while. The CRTC will consider the request at its hearing on March 25th, but it seems a fait accompli. The Commission notes the "application would have very little or no commercial impact" on the market, which to me says rubber stamp. 

CRTC Release

January 17, 2024 2:44 pm  #2

Re: CFOS Owen Sound Wants Off The AM Band

I lived up in that area for a lot of years. I seldom listened to the station. But I remember driving up around Sudbury and receiving it loud and clear. I also heard it when driving in Eastern ON around Bowmanville.

The land on which their towers are located may be worth something someday. It's too rocky for agriculture. Someone told me once that some of their ground radials are on the surface because the ground is too rocky to dig.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

January 17, 2024 3:01 pm  #3

turkeytop wrote:

some of their ground radials are on the surface because the ground is too rocky to dig.

CFOS is well-positioned to report the big news to the groundhog community on Friday Feb. 2

January 17, 2024 3:28 pm  #4

I discovered the station two summers ago scanning somehow my golf kart radio one day on the AM band searching for 680 and came up some good oldies, this was across in the Midland area. 

I wouldn't get the signal anymore if they do this conversion.  

January 17, 2024 3:35 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

"The applicant indicated that the station’s programming format would remain the same, consisting of a mix of news, talk, and music targeting the adult population over 50 years of age."

I have to wonder if that will continue once they've been on the new band for a while.

They'd be wise to keep it as-is. Veteran sale team with good local relationships. Not a big agency market and not a good time/environment to try to draw a new audience to a previously unoccupied frequency.

January 17, 2024 3:43 pm  #6

An actual stand-alone real 60s and 70s playing oldies station on FM? Never happened in Toronto. (Sorry, but as great as Boom is, it's just not the same.)

Nearly every other market, large or small, including Grimsby, has one. (Hello, The Grand! Wish your signal was better!)  Here, it's either been kiboshed back when the CRTC was handing out licences or never taken up by the Rogers, Bells and Corus' of the world as viable. (The AM740 signal at 96.7 doesn't count, since it's just an AM repeater, not a stand-alone, and a weak one at that.) Yet Owen Sound will possibly have one.

That says everything you need to know about the GTA radio market. 

January 17, 2024 3:53 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

That says everything you need to know about the GTA radio market. 

It's a small market vs. big market thing.

The bigger the market, the more your revenue is dependent on agencies who agnostically sell ratings points and demographics. "Oldies" just doesn't work in that environment.

Smaller markets thrive on the sales relationships and the "listeners as clients" revenue pipeline. 

January 17, 2024 4:37 pm  #8

It may be too late as the Baby Boomers age and advertisers make clear that they don't care about them. But I still believe a true oldies station and a true country station could work in Toronto proper, if it's done properly. But those last four words are the key. No one's ever been willing to spend the money or seriously try. 

(I think the closest we ever came was back in 1987, when CKO and then-mostly gold CKEY made a proposal to swap frequencies. The former would go to 590, while the latter would take its music format to 99.1. I often wonder what would have happened if the CRTC had okayed that swap and whether either would still be on the air today.)

January 17, 2024 5:11 pm  #9

markow202 wrote:

I discovered the station two summers ago scanning somehow my golf kart radio one day on the AM band searching for 680 and came up some good oldies, this was across in the Midland area.      I wouldn't get the signal anymore if they do this conversion.  

Suggestion:   dig your golf kart out of the snow bank and tune it to FM 93.7 which is another Bayshore entity.    You might be pleasantly surprised to catch a strong signal in Midland (across Georgian Bay with little to interfere w. it)

January 17, 2024 5:15 pm  #10

CFOS as an AM station has remained relavent in Owen Sound and area.  They have a good on air staff, news and strong community involvement.  Bayshore tried for a 5,450 watt rebroadcaster at 96.1 about 15 years ago. They were planning to keep the AM on the air and use the FM to fill in areas in and around Owen Sound and Bruce County where their signal was poor.  CRTC didn't buy it back in 2008 and there were interventions against.

This time I agree with RA it will likely get approved since the CRTC has already said that little or no commercial impact will happen in the market.  However this time CFOS 560 will go dark.  The station will be 84 years old on March 1st. 

I don't think CFOS moving to FM will hurt them at all with listeners or the local business community.  It will be an interesting format for FM, True the new signal won't travel like AM, but if it reaches their core market 45-60 km outside of the city they will be happy I am sure.  

Watch for CKNX 920 in Wingham, which traces it's history back to 1926, do the same thing. 

Last edited by paterson1 (January 17, 2024 5:17 pm)

January 17, 2024 6:10 pm  #11

R-S-T-L-N-E wrote:

markow202 wrote:

I discovered the station two summers ago scanning somehow my golf kart radio one day on the AM band searching for 680 and came up some good oldies, this was across in the Midland area.      I wouldn't get the signal anymore if they do this conversion.  

Suggestion:   dig your golf kart out of the snow bank and tune it to FM 93.7 which is another Bayshore entity.    You might be pleasantly surprised to catch a strong signal in Midland (across Georgian Bay with little to interfere w. it)

Yes but dont care so much for country haha. 

January 17, 2024 7:00 pm  #12

markow202 wrote:

Yes but don't care so much for country haha. 

The point was that based on existing FM signals you should be able to also enjoy your favorite Oldies on FM haha

Last edited by R-S-T-L-N-E (January 17, 2024 7:30 pm)

January 17, 2024 7:37 pm  #13

RadioActive wrote:

It may be too late as the Baby Boomers age and advertisers make clear that they don't care about them. But I still believe a true oldies station and a true country station could work in Toronto proper, if it's done properly.

It's not a matter of executing the format properly; it's a matter of trying to operate in markets where true local advertising is incredibly inefficient. 

If a local restaurant advertises on CFOS, much if the audience will have already been aware of it, and all of them can get there easily. Nobody in Toronto's driving an hour to save $2 on alunch special.

Operating in Toronto is also incredibly expensive, which requires ad rates that price all but a few potential local clients out.

And if you're doing "true" oldies, you're going to be completely dependant on local dollars, because the agencies won't be buying.

January 17, 2024 7:39 pm  #14

paterson1 wrote:

This time I agree with RA it will likely get approved since the CRTC has already said that little or no commercial impact will happen in the market.  

This will be the second test of the new regulations allowing 3 FMs in a market. I recall the CRTC had some caveat like "under certain circumstances" under that announcement? 

January 17, 2024 8:41 pm  #15

It looks like the following radio stations could be next.

600 CKAT North Bay
800 CJBQ Belleville
920 CKNX (mentioned)
1220 CFAJ St. Catharines (107.5 FM is open)
1460 CJOY Guelph

January 18, 2024 12:05 am  #16

Aside from CFAJ, which barely made it onto AM, do you see the four AMs wanting to move to FM? Would this only come into play iof the CRTC allows three-fers on FM?

January 18, 2024 1:47 am  #17

RadioActive wrote:

(I think the closest we ever came was back in 1987, when CKO and then-mostly gold CKEY made a proposal to swap frequencies. The former would go to 590, while the latter would take its music format to 99.1. I often wonder what would have happened if the CRTC had okayed that swap and whether either would still be on the air today.)

Interesting that everyone forgets about the late great ZED 97 point three. 
Didn't they try to be something like CKEY and fail...???

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 18, 2024 1:01 pm  #18

Saul wrote:

Aside from CFAJ, which barely made it onto AM, do you see the four AMs wanting to move to FM? Would this only come into play iof the CRTC allows three-fers on FM?

The CRTC does allow "three-fers" on FM, but only in small markets - so yes, 600 in North Bay and 800 in Belleville would fit that qualification, as would CKNX. Guelph and CFAJ could in theory apply at any time to go FM, since it's a 1-AM/1-FM situation in Guelph and CFAJ is a standalone. 

January 18, 2024 3:46 pm  #19

But where would CFAJ go on FM, surrounded by signals from Toronto and Buffalo?

January 18, 2024 5:32 pm  #20

RadioActive wrote:

But where would CFAJ go on FM, surrounded by signals from Toronto and Buffalo?

107.5 has been talked about and I think it's even allocated to the area by Industry Canada. I think one deciding factor will be the station clearly deciding it doesn't want to reach across the lake to Toronto. The old CHSC was all about serving the Toronto market. I can't imagine CFAJ has many listeners in the GTA aside from some of us on SOWNY.

Thank you, Scott F, for the info above...

January 18, 2024 5:57 pm  #21

But isn't WLKK at 107.7 in Buffalo/Wethersfield a bit too close for comfort?

January 18, 2024 6:08 pm  #22

RadioActive wrote:

But isn't WLKK at 107.7 in Buffalo/Wethersfield a bit too close for comfort?

It's probably workable. The WLKK signal isn't protected from interference on Canadian soil, so a hypothetical 107.5 in St. Catharines would have to use a directional antenna to keep its interfering signal off US soil.

It would be very much like the 92.1 that got squeezed into Buffalo - it's a very directional signal with a deep notch toward Brantford to protect CKPC-FM. As you drive up the 190 over Grand Island, you can clearly hear the Buffalo signal give way to CKPC and by the time you're in Niagara Falls NY it's all Brantford.

January 18, 2024 7:42 pm  #23

107.5 is allocated to Welland, not St. Catharines, and the site location is extremely sensitive.  In particular, it is second adjacent to 107.1 CILQ Toronto, and 107.9 CJXY-FM Hamilton, so its 80 dBu contour can't overlap the .5 mV/m of either of those stations without consent. The allotment coordinates are in the south half of Welland, a long way from St. Catharines, and is limited to 3 kW at 100 metres EHAAT or equivalent. Any overlap with CILQ-FM or CJXY-FM would have to be no greater than that from the allotment coordinates at the specified ERP and EHAAT.

There was a previous attempt to use the frequency for St. Catharines in 2001, and it was denied.  From the CRTC archive:

"St. Catharines, Ontario
Application Nos. 2001-0570-2, 2001-0569-4
INDUSTRY CANADA HAS NOT CONFIRMED THAT APPLICATION NO. 2001-0569-4 (FREQUENCY 107.5 (CHANNEL 298B1) IS TECHNICALLY ACCEPTABLE. THEREFORE, THE COMMISSION IS WITHDRAWING THE ABOVE APPLICATIONS FROM THIS PUBLIC HEARING."

When RB Communications applied for a new country station, CKYY-FM,  89.1 was dropped in to work from the existing CIXL-FM tower. Gets into St. Catharines really well.

January 18, 2024 8:24 pm  #24

fybush wrote:

Saul wrote:

The CRTC does allow "three-fers" on FM, but only in small markets - so yes, 600 in North Bay and 800 in Belleville would fit that qualification, as would CKNX. Guelph and CFAJ could in theory apply at any time to go FM, since it's a 1-AM/1-FM situation in Guelph and CFAJ is a standalone. 

The CRTC last year opened up consideration for 3 FMs in all markets.

Last edited by RadioAaron (January 18, 2024 8:25 pm)

January 18, 2024 11:55 pm  #25

CJOY 1460 Guelph has tried at least twice to move to FM and were turned down. CJOY is owned by Corus and the last time it was turned down was because Corus has an FM in Guelph (Magic 106.1) plus two in Kitchener (91.5 The Beat and 107.5 Dave, actually licensed to Cambridge) plus Y108 in Hamilton all of which come in well in Guelph and the CRTC thought that was enough Corus owned FM stations serving Guelph. However, I do hope that one day CJOY will be able to transition to FM. CJOY is a pretty good oldies station with a much broader playlist than most.

January 19, 2024 11:54 am  #26

There is also a 107.5 FM station in Barrie. I am not aware of how far their signal reaches south , I do know Rock 95 can be heard into the north of the GTA . https://1075koolfm.com/

January 19, 2024 1:38 pm  #27

mic'em wrote:

There is also a 107.5 FM station in Barrie. I am not aware of how far their signal reaches south , I do know Rock 95 can be heard into the north of the GTA . https://1075koolfm.com/

Both 107.5 from Barrie and Rock 95 are directional and fade once south of Steeles Ave meanwhile 93.1 booms into the city. 

April 22, 2024 5:12 pm  #28

RadioActive wrote:

Bayshore Broadcasting has applied to the CRTC to transfer its long time 560 AM CFOS signal to FM, changing to 89.3 with a power of 1,500 watts. That's a far cry from how well the station currently propagates - you can get it most days fairly clearly in Toronto. That will end if the transfer is approved. 

So what happens to the oldies? Turns out the old 50s adage is true - rock and roll will never die.

I have to wonder if that will continue once they've been on the new band for a while. The CRTC will consider the request at its hearing on March 25th, but it seems a fait accompli. The Commission notes the "application would have very little or no commercial impact" on the market, which to me says rubber stamp. 

CRTC Release

Remember this story from January? The CRTC came out with a new release on Monday, that relates to this application. It says this:

"The Commission has been informed that a low-power station that would be affected by the proposed new station was not served with the application by Bayshore Broadcasting Corporation, as per the Rules of Procedure.

To ensure that the low-power station, as well as any other applicable respondent, is served with the application and has time to review it and intervene, the Commission reopens the public record of the proceeding and extends the deadline to submit interventions, comments and answers... until 7 May 2024."

Anybody know what the "low power station" referred to is?

Purely by coincidence, the Commission release referred to was also the same one that revealed the sale of Indie88.1, the station that's promising a big announcement on Tuesday

April 22, 2024 6:17 pm  #29

The low power station is VF3000 in Southampton on 89.5.  The technical brief for the CFOS application states that this is for an "exempt" low power (50 watt) undertaking, but they have not been able to identify the licensee.  It has never been on the air, and there is no indication of what kind of exemption it would be claiming (tourist, religious, special event?). The brief goes on to suggest a suitable alternate frequency, so it does not appear that this is a deal-breaker, but rather just ensuring that due process has been followed.

Last edited by Skywave (April 22, 2024 6:18 pm)

April 22, 2024 6:24 pm  #30

Thanks for the info. I'm pretty sure this will still happen. The only question now is when.