sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 28, 2024 7:20 am  #31

Re: Are There Too Many Panel Shows On Toronto Talk Radio?

paterson1 wrote:

Zoomer maybe doing as well as they could ever do given they are AM and offer a variety mix of programming.  What other format would give them more listeners?  And does it matter since I doubt that "the book" is very important to them regardless.  Zoomer will never have a lot of national ads or agency buys. 

Just how well (or poorly) is Zoomer Media doing? Here's a peek at its latest financial results. 

ZoomerMedia Limited Announces First Quarter 2023-24 Financial Results

January 28, 2024 8:23 am  #32

RadioActive wrote:

AM 740 reminds me, in a way, of the old CFRB - announcers who don't rush, a full newsroom, talk shows as well as music. What they used to refer to as a Variety format. 

I'm not a frequent listener, but my older sister often tunes it in over the air. That may not seem like anything, until you realize she lives in Staten Island, N.Y.!

All those incredible New York City radio stations and she often listens to AM 740 at night. Not sure what that means but it says something about who they're reaching.

NYC is well within Zoomer's 750 mile night coverage  protection zone.

January 28, 2024 11:34 am  #33

paterson1 wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

What is the sample size?  How many?  

What number isn't going to make you say "Aha! There's the problem!"?

It's not sample size. If it were sample size, we'd see wild swings from book-to-book. We don't.

There is little to no appeal to this radio station for much of anyone under 70.

I wasn't trying to set anyone up.  Just curious what the sample size would be.  I know it isn't high for 55+ and especially those 65+. 

Zoomer maybe doing as well as they could ever do given they are AM and offer a variety mix of programming.  What other format would give them more listeners?  And does it matter since I doubt that "the book" is very important to them regardless.  Zoomer will never have a lot of national ads or agency buys. 

All the other comments I absolutely agree with.  740 is a station that puts more than an honest effort into their programming.  Or as pro sports athelete's like to say.."give 110%."

Their newscasts are excellent given they aren't a news station.  As mentioned the delivery and the casts themselves are thorough and professional.  I like what Shorty Wave mentioned that the overall sound and attitude of Zoomer is positive.  And the variety of programming is outstanding and everything I have heard well done.

And that is important to all of the old cranks like myself and a few others on here that enjoy and appreciate the station..

You’d be surprised. Those are the people who answer their land line when Numeris calls.
Also, I don’t mind panels especially if the guests have experience in handling the topics being discussed.
I’ll take that over an hour of uninformed listeners blaming federal politicians for local and provincial issues.

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (January 28, 2024 11:39 am)

January 28, 2024 12:19 pm  #34

RadioActive wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

Just how well (or poorly) is Zoomer Media doing? Here's a peek at its latest financial results. 

ZoomerMedia Limited Announces First Quarter 2023-24 Financial Results

This paragraph is very interesting, and represents a pretty big departure from the original "Zoomer" target.

ZoomerMedia focuses on Canada’s most powerful audiences — the 17.2 million Baby Boomers and Gen Xers over the age of 45 (which we coined Zoomers) and the 13.2 million Millennials and Gen Zs under 45 (which in the US have recently also been coined Zoomers). The term Zoomer now represents the whole family, from old to young. Wherever our audience is in Canada they're local and wherever they turn there's Zoomer.