sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 14, 2024 7:29 pm  #1

Global Goes Silent

It happened just after Global Toronto went to break around 6:10 PM Sunday. When the show resumed, the sound didn't. There is no audio on anything, from the news show to the spots. Interestingly, the picture and the closed captioning continues on screen, but there's no sound.

Did anyone else notice this? I know Global frequently seems to suffer from these kind of technical screw-ups, but I have to confess I haven't seen - or not heard - this one before. 

January 14, 2024 7:41 pm  #2

Re: Global Goes Silent

I watch over the air and the same circumstance. Don't really mind since I'm already in the habit of muting my screen often.

January 14, 2024 8:14 pm  #3

Anyone on cable? Is it the same? What about on OTA channel 6, which I can't get? 

Still no audio even during 60 Minutes. As I post this, it's now been going on for more than an hour.

January 14, 2024 8:19 pm  #4

Very strange. The silence of Global has allowed for no sim sub with CBS for 60 minutes.
CBS has full audio.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 14, 2024 8:31 pm  #5

You can also watch 60 Minutes online at the 60 Minutes website. All of the current segments - even the ones airing right now - are already there.

January 14, 2024 9:11 pm  #6

The issue is also affecting CHAN Vancouver, CICT Calgary, and CITV Edmonton on cable systems. CIHF Halifax seems to be working.

Global TV stations on the Global TV app, as well as the streaming news channels seem to have audio working fine. 

Last edited by ED1 (January 14, 2024 9:12 pm)

January 14, 2024 11:40 pm  #7

Checked at 10 PM and the audio was back. Wonder what happened?

January 15, 2024 9:27 am  #8

Radiowiz wrote:

Very strange. The silence of Global has allowed for no sim sub with CBS for 60 minutes.
CBS has full audio.

Could be there was no simsub of 60 Minutes because WIVB was running a continuous weather related scroll across the bottom of the screen.

January 15, 2024 10:05 am  #9

How many make goods are they going to owe advertisers after losing more than two hours of primetime programming to this issue? And Sunday is traditionally the biggest HUT (Homes Using Television) night of the week, so this one could sting. 

January 15, 2024 10:15 am  #10

RadioActive wrote:

Checked at 10 PM and the audio was back. Wonder what happened?

Cat sat on the remote

January 15, 2024 10:25 am  #11

mace wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

CBS has full audio.

Could be there was no simsub of 60 Minutes because WIVB was running a continuous weather related scroll across the bottom of the screen.

Other than a live event or show, simsub isn't always a US feed.  Canadian networks have their own feed of a program and copy of a scripted show.  They run the program at the same time but independently with their signal on both the Canadian and US channel.

This is why you don't see the US local affiliate watermark logo coming up during the show or after a commercial break.  I never see any of the Detroit station identification on a simsubed show and often not even the US network logo, unless it is a live program.  I don't receive Buffalo TV and not a Rogers subscriber, so may be there is a difference with Bell.   

January 15, 2024 11:32 am  #12

paterson1 wrote:

I don't receive Buffalo TV and not a Rogers subscriber, so may be there is a difference with Bell.   

Not sure what Bell is doing, but Rogers, once one switches from Legacy cable to Ignite, forces customers to pay an additional $3 to receive the local American channels, NBC, ABC, FOX, and CBS Buffalo. 
I have no idea why they had to start charging that extra fee under Ignite TV, but they do now. 

As for Sim Sub, what I DO mean is that Global normally blocks out the American channel and puts their channel in the American spot. 
Some dish services just go to a blue screen that reads "this program is not available in your area" 
(or sometimes even suggests a channel that is carrying the same program)

It's a good point that maybe CBS was not going to be blocked out by CIII (Global Toronto) because of the BLUE weather scroll at the bottom.

Global National has a strong following. I hope something can be worked out with advertisers. That's a major blow to the bottom line right there!

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 15, 2024 4:51 pm  #13

When I noticed the tv outage, I flipped on the radio and interestingly, the 640Toronto simulcast aired unaffected.

January 15, 2024 11:09 pm  #14

I believe the radio simulcast actually originates at Audacy, the radio company in the US. I don’t believe the TV audio is fed through the radio.