sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 12, 2024 10:53 am  #1

U.S. Fans Furious By Streaming-Only NFL Playoff But Cdns. Not Affected

For once, Canadian fans have an advantage over their American counterparts. They'll be seeing the Miami/K.C. playoff game Saturday night on TSN with a cable subscription. Most down south won't - unless they're willing to put out some bucks to subscribe to Peacock.

The big game will only be available on the streaming service, which is not sold in Canada. Only the two cities where the teams play will see it over free TV. The rest will have to pay up. (It's not the first NFL game to be only on a streaming service, but it's the first playoff contest.) Needless to say, this is not sitting well with die-hard football fans, who are furious with both NBC and the league for putting the match out of reach for many. Peacock reportedly paid an eye-popping $110 million for the privilege.

Fans Rightfully Crush NFL and NBC for Putting AFC Playoff Game Exclusively on Peacock

But as a completely disinterested party who is not a football fan (in fact I've grown to hate it since it interrupts shows I actually want to see), I can only say 'get used to it.' You can't watch many baseball games for free anymore. The Jays, for example, are on Sportsnet only. Pony up to the plate or you're out. It's like that in most other markets, as well. 

It's unfortunate, but the days of free sports are coming to an end. Some hockey is still around, but almost solely on Saturday night. For now, the Stanley Cup is on free TV and I suspect there would be rioting in the streets if they forced Canadians to pay for it.

Will the Super Bowl ever leave free TV? I'm betting it will one day, although there is far too much money to be made from $1 million+ spots on network television to see it depart just yet. But I suspect for sports fans, the worst is yet to come.

One more thing about the Peacock-only game. The streamer has announced there will be no commercials at all during the fourth quarter of the big game. I wonder how the folks at TSN are planning to handle that?

January 12, 2024 12:25 pm  #2

Re: U.S. Fans Furious By Streaming-Only NFL Playoff But Cdns. Not Affected

For once??  Please RA take off the blinders.  Every weekend Canadian NFL fans have an advantage over their American counterparts with a superior choice of NFL games on CTV and TSN.  Same with the NHL coverage with Rogers and CBC.  With time shifting even more.  And we are seeing homegrown networks running sports occasionally that need to be purchased south of the border, but free here. 

During the Olympics it is a given that the coverage north of the border is more varied, and much more extensive than what is offered to the south. Same with World Cup Coverage.

And you could argue that CTV and Global both have superior prime time programming than the US networks any given night.

Since they are not NBC ,CBS ,Fox or ABC affiliates they can purchase and run programming from various networks and are not tied down to whatever one network is showing.

All US networks have had their weak seasons with few hit shows.  If you are affiliated with the network, you are stuck with poor programming in prime time.  The Canadian networks can move on and run the better shows from other networks, even sometimes from streamers. 

January 12, 2024 12:53 pm  #3

RadioActive wrote:

One more thing about the Peacock-only game. The streamer has announced there will be no commercials at all during the fourth quarter of the big game. I wonder how the folks at TSN are planning to handle that?

I wondered the same thing during the Dec. 23 Buffalo Bills game, when they said that the fourth quarter would be commercial-free. I was doing other things for some of the time that the game was on, but I don't recall any commercials being aired during the fourth quarter.

January 12, 2024 12:59 pm  #4

paterson1 wrote:

For once??  Please RA take off the blinders.  Every weekend Canadian NFL fans have an advantage over their American counterparts with a superior choice of NFL games on CTV and TSN.  Same with the NHL coverage with Rogers and CBC.  With time shifting even more.  And we are seeing homegrown networks running sports occasionally that need to be purchased south of the border, but free here. 

During the Olympics it is a given that the coverage north of the border is more varied, and much more extensive than what is offered to the south. Same with World Cup Coverage.

Well as far as the sports are concerned, I'll cede that to you. I simply don't pay enough attention to it to know if this is a one-off or the way things work. Maybe Canadians are better off in this area, although they still have to pay a cable bill to see a lot of it. 

paterson1 wrote:

And you could argue that CTV and Global both have superior prime time programming than the US networks any given night.

Since they are not NBC ,CBS ,Fox or ABC affiliates they can purchase and run programming from various networks and are not tied down to whatever one network is showing.

All US networks have had their weak seasons with few hit shows.  If you are affiliated with the network, you are stuck with poor programming in prime time.  The Canadian networks can move on and run the better shows from other networks, even sometimes from streamers. 

And here's where you lose me. When it comes to regular OTA programming, I couldn't disagree more. Are there any shows Canadian networks don't purchase in their annual buying spree down south known as the "upfronts?" They may be spread amongst different networks, but with rare exceptions not only do they buy almost everything on sale down south, but thanks to simulcasting, they show them all at the exact same time on the exact same night.

I.E. City TV's Chicago Wednesdays and Law & Order Thursdays - the exact same line-up as NBC. And that's not the only time it happens in any given week. Global simulcasts every FBI show with CBS on Tuesday nights. And on and on it goes. 

How is that any improvement to what's available down south? It's essentially the exact same programming, only on different channels. I happen to prefer U.S. shows, but to argue we're somehow better because of it doesn't make any sense to me. Check the schedule. They're almost all the same. Not better. Exactly the same. 

January 12, 2024 1:57 pm  #5

It is not a maybe.  Canadian sports fans have more choice than their US counterparts, with NFL, NHL and event sports programming like the Olympics, World Cup Soccer.  And as your initial article shows even with some games that are only on streaming services stateside but still free here or at no additional cost if you have TSN or Sportsnet.

Prime schedules have had much less simsub over the past three years, largely because of COVID and the strike.  Even this week I have been surprised that other than some blocks, there hasn't been as much simbsub as normal, especially on CTV.  I am sure it will ramp up into February. 

CTV, Global and even CTV2 usually have stronger schedules overall, including in the daytime.  Affiliated US stations are married to one network and especially in prime time carry what the network has, good bad or in between. Canadian networks don't have that issue as much and can bounce between US networks.  This is an advantage.

Often on weekend afternoons prior to sports the Canadian stations will at least show a movie or sitcoms like Big Bang Theory, Seinfeld, Modern Family, or some cancon home improvement shows, or cancon from one of their specialty channes etc.  Detroit affiliates have infomercials, paid programming or maybe a local news interview show, but never any sitcoms or a movie. 

Since Canadian channels can show a larger variety of programming, when something is simsubed makes it even better. That's one reason why (up until we could actually see the numbers from NUMERIS) that Canadian OTA networks had higher ratings prime time per capita than the US OTA big 4.   And yes even some of the cancon was popular and had top 30 ratings. 

Last edited by paterson1 (January 12, 2024 2:02 pm)

January 12, 2024 2:41 pm  #6

I constantly have to explain to my friends that when Amazon or Peacock get the rights to US sports in the US it doesn’t affect us up here. Other than two or three Jays games a season most of our sports programming remains on sports channels.
For regular programming, the best of ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox and the CW are on three networks, not five.
Other than the sim sub we make out pretty well.

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (January 12, 2024 2:42 pm)

January 12, 2024 3:06 pm  #7

The Saturday night Peacock only game in the U.S. will be shown on CTV.  So, any Americans near the border should be able to pick it up via cable or over the air.

January 12, 2024 4:34 pm  #8

paterson1 wrote:

Prime schedules have had much less simsub over the past three years, largely because of COVID and the strike.  Even this week I have been surprised that other than some blocks, there hasn't been as much simbsub as normal, especially on CTV.  I am sure it will ramp up into February. 

Affiliated US stations are married to one network and especially in prime time carry what the network has, good bad or in between. Canadian networks don't have that issue as much and can bounce between US networks.  This is an advantage.

Ah, but that assumes the stations have choices. In fact, most of the schedules on the main Canadian networks are almost majority simsub. That means they don't control when they air, just that they bought them. It's easy to just discount that, but in fact when an American network or in many cases networks control when you put on the shows you bought in the U.S., it severally limits your options. 

I'm sure you remember the good old days before cable when Canadian stations would use the 7-8 PM hour to show multiple pre-released American shows and then could program other down south programs whenever they wanted. Now they're slaves to NBC, CBS, ABC and to a lesser extent, Fox's timetables. 

That clearly doesn't give them an advantage because they're forced into a schedule that they may otherwise choose not to follow. 

I'm not talking about daytime or afternoons. My point was strictly about primetime, And as the chart below shows, there's a lot of same old same old going on between countries. (The math is solely an estimate, but it does serve to demonstrate how similar the two are. And once the regular season returns next month, this list will really change to prove my point. But for now, here's the coming week. I left out Saturday, because everyone has pretty well given up programming anything new on that night.)

Sunday:

NBC: NFL Football
CTV: NFL Football
Simulcast: 100%

CBS: 3 Hours of Yellowstone
Global: 3 Hours of Yellowstone

ABC: Funniest Videos/Lion King
Simulcast: 0

Fox: We Are Family, Bob’s Burgers, Family Guy
City TV: Hudson & Rex, Bob’s Burgers, Family Feud, Hudson & Rex
Simulcast: 10%

Monday:

NBC: America’s Got Talent, The Irrational
City TV: Hudson & Rex (2 Episodes), The Irrational
Simulcast: 10%

CBS: NCIS X3
Global: NCIS X3

ABC: NFL Football
CTV: NFL Football

Fox: Emmy Awards
CTV 2: Emmy Awards

Tuesday:

NBC: Night Court, Extended Family, La Brea, Found
CTV2: La Brea
City TV: Found
Simulcast: 20%

CBS: NCIS: Sydney, FBI, FBI International
Fox: Name That Tune, The Floor
Global: NCIS Sydney, The Floor, FBI International

ABC: Celebrity Jeopardy, Only Murders In The Building
CTV: Celebrity Jeopardy, Only Murders In The Building

Wednesday:

NBC: Chicago Med, Fire, PD
City TV: Chicago Med, Fire, PD

CBS: Price Is Right, Raid The Cage, FBI True
Fox: I Can See Your Voice, We Are Family
Global: I Can See Your Voice, We Are Family, Raid The Cage
Simulcast: 70%

ABC: NBA Basketball

CTV: America’s Got Talent, Magnum P.I.

Thursday

NBC: Law & Order X3
CityTV : Law & OrderX3

CBS: Young Sheldon, Ghosts, Seal Team X2
Fox: Hell’s Kitchen, Gordon Ramsay’s Road Trip
CTV: Young Sheldon, Gordon Ramsay’s Road Trip, Big Bang Theory X2
Simulcast: 50%
Global: Goldbergs, Ghosts, Seal Team X2
Simulcast: 80%

ABC: Press Your Luck, Primary Debate Special

Friday

NBC: Transplant, Dateline NBC (2 hours)
CityTV: Hudson & Rex, Dateline NBC (2 Hours)
Simulcast:  70%

CBS: SWAT, Fire Country, Blue Bloods
Global: SWAT, Fire Country, Crime Beat
Simulcast: 70%

ABC: Shark Tank, 20/20 (2 hours)
CTV: Shark Tank, Transplant (Series Finale), Little Bird
(CHCH: 20/20)
Simulcast: 20%

January 12, 2024 5:33 pm  #9

CTV and CTV2 give Canadians a good variety of NFL games each Sunday while simsubbing as many as possible. CTV Atlantic over Boston, CTV Montreal over Burlington/Plattsburg, CTV Toronto/Kitchener over Buffalo, CTV Ottawa over Detroit, CTV Winnipeg over Minneapolis, CTV Edmonton/Calgary over Spokane and CTV Vancouver over Seattle. Much better than the folks in Buffalo who are limited to the three games at 1pm and/or 4:25pm.

January 12, 2024 5:51 pm  #10

Other than event programming like sports and the Emmy Awards there actually wasn't that much simsub.  

Friday and Saturday normally have little simsub and Sunday none of ABC's programming and very little FOX was simulcast or shown here.  Already this is 3 days out of 7 with not a lot of simulcasting other than NFL football.

Even on Tuesday only 20% of NBC's 8-11pm schedule was simulcast.  On Wednesday only 50% of CTV's 8 to 11pm schedule was lined up with US network programming.  Prime time certainly should be beyond only 8-11pm and more like 6pm-11:30 pm.  When you include those high rated hours then the percent of simulcasting plummets further. 

And if you consider that City tv is limited, CHCH has very little simsub anytime and CBC has none at all there isn't as much simulcasting as years ago.  I do agree it will increase come mid February when the brief new season begins.  However it will dip again during the summer. 

I do also agree that simulcasting does have some limitations but the benefits outweigh the negatives for advertisers and the Canadian networks who have paid for the programming.  Still maintain that OTA networks here have an advantage during the day and prime time since they can mix programming between all four US OTA networks and their best homegrown shows either from the network or sister specialty channels. 

January 14, 2024 2:39 pm  #11

Lorne wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

I wondered the same thing during the Dec. 23 Buffalo Bills game, when they said that the fourth quarter would be commercial-free. I was doing other things for some of the time that the game was on, but I don't recall any commercials being aired during the fourth quarter.

Just to follow up on this, I didn't see any commercials on TSN during the fourth quarter of last night's game either.

January 14, 2024 11:48 pm  #12

The game is over but the fallout continues.

NFL fans blast NBC for touting Peacock streaming viewership numbers from Chiefs-Dolphins game

They can complain all they want, but the fact that it set a record for streaming viewership only means it's going to keep happening. 

Peacock’s wild-card broadcast drew 23 million viewers, becoming most-streamed NFL game ever