sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 3, 2024 12:45 am  #1

Radio Giant Audacy Prepares To File For Bankruptcy

It's one of the biggest radio owners in the U.S. and it merged with another giant, CBS Radio, seven years ago. But now Audacy is getting ready to file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, amid uncertainty about what will happen to the hundreds of radio stations it owns down south. 

The company is a huge player in the Buffalo radio market, controlling six stations there, including WBEN, WGR, WKSE, WWKB, WLKK and WWWS. Holdings in Detroit include WWJ, WOMC and WXYT. 

And that's not all. It also owns legends like WCBS, WINS, WFAN and WNEW-FM in New York City along with KNX, KROQ, and KRTH in Los Angeles - just to name a few. 

The Wall Street Journal claims Audacy is facing almost $2 billion in debt and can't pay what it owes creditors. It's not immediately clear what the long term fate for all of its 227 stations in 45 markets will be when this happens, although it will be business as usual for most of them for now. But could some of them eventually be sold off to new owners, potentially changing the stations as we know them? 

As they say in the radio biz, stay tuned. This one may wind up becoming a big story in 2024. 

Radio Broadcaster Audacy Prepares to File Bankruptcy Within Weeks

January 3, 2024 1:05 am  #2

Re: Radio Giant Audacy Prepares To File For Bankruptcy

Both iHeart and Audacy took on an incredible amount of debt when they each bought hundreds of stations. Each company owns some of the top billing stations in the US but even after laying off hundreds and hundreds of people both companies are penny stocks with no prospect of ever reaching profitability.
Radio is facing crises of its own making in North America. Debt in the US, and penny pinching and lack of know how and interest by phone and cable company ownership in Canada.  It’s a sorry state of affairs when declining listenership is the second biggest threat to your existence, behind your own mismanagement.

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (January 3, 2024 1:31 am)

January 3, 2024 10:56 am  #3

Same old nonsense. Buy up a bunch of stations, often while making the previous owners wealthy, then mismanage the hell out of the new assets...then further decline and bankruptcy.

Oh, and let's not forget the massive bonus the buying-CEO, probably off to his/her next conquest by now, received for pulling this monstrosity together.

SSDD.

January 3, 2024 11:44 am  #4

Ooh! Where and when will the equipment auctions occur?

Last edited by Chrisphen (January 3, 2024 11:44 am)

January 3, 2024 11:58 am  #5

WHAT??? Selling several stations off to a Christian radio source wasn't enough to rescue them? Oh...I get it...they forgot to pray.  

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 3, 2024 12:13 pm  #6

I certainly agree that these giant corporations who don't care about quality is a major problem, especially in U.S. radio. One company owning over 270 stations? You can see the possible complications right away. But unfortunately, that's allowed south of the border.

But here's my hope. If (and it's still only an "if") Audacy was forced to sell some of its stations in order to save this sinking ship, perhaps there's a Buddy Shula waiting in the wings that could take them over and perhaps inject new life into them. 

In case that name doesn't ring a bell, Shula is the guy who took over tiny WECK in Cheektowaga, a station on a local-only horrible 1230 AM frequency (1,000 watts day, only 250 at night) and - with the help of a few FM translators - has managed to turn this long time money loser into an actual player in Buffalo. 

In the last Nielsen ratings, from Sep.-Nov. 2023, the little station that could came in at eighth place, with a 4.8 amongst 12+. OK, so not the biggest in town, but compared to what they once were, placing into the Top 10. They also boast a lot of experienced and entertaining veteran announcers who are well known in the city. 

Could that happen again if Audacy was to let go of the moribund forever-last-in-the-ratings WWKB? A great 50K signal that nobody seems to know what to do with (0.5 at last count.) Well, nobody at Audacy at least. Perhaps new independent owners could help even slightly restore these stations to their former glories.

I, for one, would love to see them try.

January 3, 2024 12:48 pm  #7

At what point is it cheaper (and easier) for a new station owner to apply for a new station than to buy one that's otherwise going to close. The frequency in principle is going to become available...

On that note, three members of the OZ network are shutting down in Newfoundland. Economic reasons cited. In smaller communities like Marystown and Bonavista. These are FM, not AM ...

January 3, 2024 2:32 pm  #8

The purpose of this is to restructure debt, and assets are unlikely to be sold-off under Chapter 11.

January 3, 2024 3:45 pm  #9

Yes, I'm aware of how it works. But with the current state of the industry, if they can't get out from under after some time, I was speculating on what happens if they decided to sell some of their underperforming stations. I can't think of a bigger waste of a frequency than the 50K blowtorch at 1520 in Buffalo. I'm sure someone with fresh ideas who actually cares and doesn't have 200+ other outlets to worry about could do something with this station. 

Audacy sure isn't. Sports betting? I'm hopeful that one day, all bets will be off. 

January 3, 2024 3:54 pm  #10

RadioActive wrote:

Yes, I'm aware of how it works. But with the current state of the industry, if they can't get out from under after some time, I was speculating on what happens if they decided to sell some of their underperforming stations. I can't think of a bigger waste of a frequency than the 50K blowtorch at 1520 in Buffalo. I'm sure someone with fresh ideas who actually cares and doesn't have 200+ other outlets to worry about could do something with this station. 

Audacy sure isn't. Sports betting? I'm hopeful that one day, all bets will be off. 

The natural cure for 1520 would be to move WECK to it. There aren't really any other AM opportunities.

January 3, 2024 4:00 pm  #11

Shula might well consider that if it came up for sale. I'd love to see it happen. Right now, it's just taking up space. 

January 3, 2024 4:08 pm  #12

The problem, of course, with selling under-performing stations is that a new owner might do better with them, which then siphons revenue from your other stations.  Best to exit markets entirely or sell to a non-comm.

January 3, 2024 4:21 pm  #13

I realize it's pie-in-the-sky to wish for the so-called "Good Old Days," which I admit I do far too often. But worth noting that the big Buffalo stations - WGR, WBEN and 'KB (all Audacy owned) - were never as good as when they were all owned separately and bashing each other's brains in competing against each other.

It produced some of the best radio I've ever heard, including WGR-AM being named Billboard's #1 Station of the Year multiple times. They were incredible.

January 3, 2024 4:46 pm  #14

RadioAaron wrote:

The purpose of this is to restructure debt, and assets are unlikely to be sold-off under Chapter 11.

They already sold off a very strong signal @ 102.5. 
Making an exit from the Buffalo market is entirely possible. 

January 3, 2024 5:03 pm  #15

It will be interesting to see what Corus Entertainment releases on January 12th.  This will be their first quarterly release in 2024. Corus stock today is trading at .73/share.  One year ago it was $2.27/share.

The three OZ frequencies in Newfoundland that went dark were all rebroadcasters of 94.7 CHOZ St. John's.  The owner couldn't afford spending money on transmitter upgrades or to keep them on the air. 

Audacy overpaid for many of the stations they bought a few years back.  Now some of them, especially many of the AM stations aren't worth nearly what they paid for them. 

Chapter 11 doesn't necessarily mean that they will be selling off or closing a lot of radio outlets, or become  a much smaller company.  iHeartradio, the largest American radio operator  declared bankruptcy in 2018 and they were  $20 billion in debt.  iHeart was able to refinance half of the debt and are still around today.

Audacy is "only"  looking at $2 billion in debt, but had a big amount coming due in November this year of $632 million which they were doubtful about paying. They also have missed at least one interest payment apparently.   

January 3, 2024 7:44 pm  #16

Let’s not forget that closer to home, Bell put up over 50 radio stations for sale.  In the coming weeks, as the applications are filed with the CRTC it will become clearer the extent to which Bell is abandonning its bad investments in radio.  In some markets the land where the transmitters (were) located will fetch far more money than a sale of the assets of the stations.

January 3, 2024 7:53 pm  #17

What stations?   Is there a kijji listing?

January 3, 2024 8:55 pm  #18

RadioQuiz wrote:

What stations?   Is there a kijji listing?

It’s going to be a big year.

January 3, 2024 9:01 pm  #19

Wouldn't be surprised if Bell gets rid of more stations.  They haven't mentioned anything about radio in the BCE financial quarterly reports for a while now.  Not usually a good sign.  Bell Media is not where the money is for BCE.  Haven't heard anything about over 50 radio stations up for sale but wouldn't be a big surprise.  I can see them phasing out of television too.

Between Bell and Corus there must be lobbying on the government and CRTC to open up to foreign ownership.

January 3, 2024 9:05 pm  #20

Bell is done with small markets and AM

January 3, 2024 9:31 pm  #21

Desjardins Financial handled the virtual data rooms and solicited offers.  Nothing has been publicly stated by Bell regarding the recent process.   There was a time limit in the RFP, for CRTC filings after acceptance of offers.  The CRTC would only announce the identities of the buyers, when the CRTC staff have vetted the applications and designated them for public hearing.  Most if not all would be asset transfers, meaning they will have to be placed on a public hearing.   The CRTC is required to publish the application(s) at least 55 days prior to the designated public hearing date.  Many of the applications will be dealt with as “non appearing” items.  But it takes 4-6 months for the staff to process applications before they are designated for hearing.  That means, you will start to see applications (made public) by late spring or early summer 2024.  To the best of my knowledge, Desjardins contacted potential buyers directly.  I assume that someone at Bell pre-vetted some of the potential buyers, and gave Desjardin a list of parties.  In a few cases parties who were not originally contacted by Desjardins, “found out” about the RFP process, and entered into NDAs.

Last edited by tvguy (January 3, 2024 9:33 pm)

January 4, 2024 12:48 am  #22

So who is a likely buyer.  50 is alot of stations.    Maybe a few dogs in there too.

January 4, 2024 11:00 am  #23

RadioQuiz wrote:

So who is a likely buyer. 50 is alot of stations. Maybe a few dogs in there too.

Hopefully the 50 will be broken up and some smaller operators will pick up a few stations.  One good thing that Bell has done over the years is update studios and equipment for their smaller stations and in mostly leased facilities. 

I am wondering what small markets would be.  I know that Woodstock NB, Midland ON and Osoyoos BC are small. What is the cut off point and will they get rid of any medium markets like Regina or Victoria?

We will see how badly Bell wants to get rid of these stations since on some they are going to take a haircut.   Just five years ago they were still buying smaller stations.

Last edited by paterson1 (January 4, 2024 11:11 am)

January 4, 2024 4:55 pm  #24

tvguy wrote:

Let’s not forget that closer to home, Bell put up over 50 radio stations for sale.  In the coming weeks, as the applications are filed with the CRTC it will become clearer the extent to which Bell is abandonning its bad investments in radio.  In some markets the land where the transmitters (were) located will fetch far more money than a sale of the assets of the stations.

So I have heard from other sources Bell offered up all stations including ones that they have now shut down. But then I heard the list was cut down to 50 or less. It will be interesting to see what happens because currently on the Pure, Move, Bounce and Virgin branded stations a lot of hosts run shows on multiple stations across those networks. If for example Bell sells off the Manitoba to BC stations (except Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton) would hosts on those stations who originate from Ontario stay on the stations. Or for instance any hosts that originate in Winnipeg or Victoria that originate on a station that is sold what will happen then. For example Johnny Novak does mornings on Virgin Victoria but if that station is sold but not Virgin Edmonton (where he does afternoons now) what happens to his Edmonton show? 
I think there is going to be a lot of changes this year if Bell does sell 50 stations. But it could also be a nice boost for Pattison who currently has zero stations in Ontario or east. 

In the US to get this thread back on track, I don't think Audacy will be forced to sell stations. From what it sounds like is the creditors will take ownership of the company. I think Audacy will sell stations or at the very least take offers. Depending how many creditors there are that may take over the company, maybe it gets split into multiple companies. If that is the case there will be a lot of new changes to on air lineups as many stations across the Audacy family either have no on air staff at certain times of the day or they have one host on many stations. 
I predict a lot of big changes in Canada in terms of radio. Bell, Corus for sure
In the US maybe a lot depending on how the creditors want to go with Audacy. I think the changes at Audacy will be later in the year or into next year. 

January 4, 2024 5:10 pm  #25

I still believe that Audacy will make an exit from the Buffalo and Rochester markets, concentrating on larger markets, possibly until a time comes when they wash their hands of this business altogether. 

Sort of like what Price Communications did... 

January 4, 2024 7:03 pm  #26

This isn't Buffalo, but here's a similar view from Philadelphia, where Audacy owns multiple radio stations. The consensus seems to be the stations will stay on the air - but with a lot less original programming and even fewer on-air talents. 

And in that market, at least, the exodus has already begun. 

94.1 WIP parent company Audacy reportedly will file for bankruptcy. What does that mean for its Philly radio stations

January 7, 2024 10:55 am  #27

It's now official.

Audacy cuts debt by 80% in prepackaged bankruptcy plan

"[President and CEO David] Field expressed confidence in the company's long-term growth prospects, emphasizing Audacy's transformation into a scaled, multi-platform enterprise with a focus on premium audio content."

Whatever that means.

January 7, 2024 11:01 am  #28

Basically I assume it means the creditors get stiffed and shareholders win. 

January 7, 2024 11:42 am  #29

Even with almost $2 billion in debt, Audacy should be ok.  2024 is an election year in the US and the total ad spend is projected to be over $16 billion.  Unlike Canada, where political parties have largely abandoned traditional media for advertising, radio TV and print In the US will all profit from this huge influx of advertising campaign money over the year.  So with restructuring and the windfall of political advertising, Audacy is set to be in a much better financial situation by the end of the year.  

As mentioned earlier, closer to home Corus Entertainment will be releasing their latest financial quarter results this Friday.  Four months ago the company was carrying a bit over $1 billion in debt.  

January 9, 2024 10:32 am  #30

There's a radio columnist I read every week in the U.S. Richard Wagoner covers the Los Angeles and California market, but every now and then, he veers into a more general category. He's been railing for a long time about the destruction of the industry by the mega-corporations owning 500 stations or more - and then neglecting and penny-pinching them into oblivion. 

I like what he said about the Audacy bankruptcy.

"In my opinion, the deal should be rejected, and Audacy should be forced to sell stations to those who know how to run them … including, perhaps current local management. Like all major radio groups, Audacy is too large to be successful; radio’s few success stories these days center on small, locally-focused owners. Time to break up the monopolies."

Among others, Audacy owns KNX, KROQ and KRTH in L.A., some once powerhouse stations.