sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 30, 2023 5:33 pm  #1

Uncle Earl's Classic TV Site Gone ?

This great streaming site for old TV shows seems to be down or gone for the last three days. A big loss for fans of the old shows.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

December 30, 2023 6:30 pm  #2

Re: Uncle Earl's Classic TV Site Gone ?

Sad loss. Hope the owner of the site is OK and maybe can revive it.
Reminder that the Twilight Zone marathon is back on SyFy channel and lasts until Jan 2.
Unfortunately WSBK has lost the rights to the Three Stooges, so sadly no more Stooges marathons on TV38.
At least Three Stooges are still on daily on AMC and Twilight Zone airs nightly at midnight on CITY-TV.

December 30, 2023 6:52 pm  #3

Unfortunately, SyFy isn't available in Canada. Neither is H&I, aka Heroes & Icons. Both are U.S. cable only, to my extreme frustration. The only reason I note this, by the way, is that both are doing Twilight Zone marathons on New Year's Eve and the next morning. Weird that there are two of them running the same marathon at the exact same time. 

Submitted for Your Approval: All the Episodes Featured in Syfy and H&I Network’s 2023 ‘Twilight Zone’ New Year’s Eve Marathons

December 30, 2023 6:58 pm  #4

Fitz wrote:

This great streaming site for old TV shows seems to be down or gone for the last three days. A big loss for fans of the old shows.

Yes, this is a sad loss if it's permanent. By the way, there's still an Uncle Earl's YouTube site. It doesn't offer anywhere near what the original did, but at least that's still there.

Uncle Earl's YouTube Site

December 31, 2023 9:22 am  #5

According to the message board on sitcomsonline, there may yet be hope for a resurrection. A user there who has been in touch with the proverbial "Uncle Earl" says he received a message from that gentleman. Here's what he said:

"I wanted to let everyone know that the Uncle Earl site is down. There appears to be some problems with my web server - at the moment I am working to solve the problems, but it could be down for a while. I will let you know if and when I get it back up."

So don't delete the URL (or should that be the "Earl?) and keep trying! This great vintage TV site may yet be back.

December 31, 2023 11:32 am  #6

Great news!  Thanks for this information.  By the way the SyFy Channel is available online at thetvapp.

January 1, 2024 9:03 pm  #7

mojo55 wrote:

Reminder that the Twilight Zone marathon is back on SyFy channel and lasts until Jan 2.

Here's an episode of The Twilight Zone I'll guarantee you've never seen. In fact, many fans haven't. Because it's not actually a TZ episode at all. 

It's from the Jack Benny Show around 1963 and features Rod Serling complaining about not being able to do the kind of scripts he likes, which prompts criticism from Benny. Jack then goes out for a walk and ends up - you guessed it - in the Twilight Zone, where everything is the same - but also completely different. 

And Serling plays the leader of the place called "Mayor Twilight Zone." It shows off his otherwise rarely seen comedic talents. You can see this rarity below, which is "Submitted for your approval..."

Rod Serling Played The Mayor Of The Twilight Zone On The Jack Benny Program

January 2, 2024 7:33 am  #8

Interesting State Farm Opera commercial built into the script. Burns & Allen were famous for doing this several times per episode with their sponsor Carnation Evaporated Milk. "From Contented Cows"

January 2, 2024 8:25 am  #9

Back then that was common in sitcoms. They'd build the major sponsor into the script so you wouldn't be tempted to change the channel or head to the fridge during the break. Because there was no break!. And often they'd laden it with punchlines, to make it even better. It sometimes made it hard for later syndication, when the spot had to be cut out, but it was a technique that worked. 

And with it so easy to tune out and skip the spots these days (back then you actually had to get up and turn the channel!) I often wonder if it's an idea that could be brought back on a limited basis. But the days of a show being "brought to you by" anyone and actors being used as pitchmen or women are long gone!

January 8, 2024 5:42 pm  #10

The latest from Uncle Earl via Reddit:

"I have lost the domain because my web service provider failed to renew it when it expired a few days ago. The current owners bought host server a couple of years ago and everything has been going south since then. My original web provider would automatically renew it when it expired, but these idiots failed to do that. I am currently looking for a new web service provider and hope to have the site back up in a few weeks. Once it is up and running I will let everyone know the new web location here on Facebook."

January 8, 2024 5:45 pm  #11

An update to that update, which unfortunately seems far less optimistic. 

"At this point I am trying to decide whether or not I really want to restore the site. I have been working on it for 23 years. and I am a 75 year old man with memory issues and other problems to deal with. I am seriously considering letting it go. I realize this will disappoint a lot of people - and I am very sorry for that, but I have a 1 and 1/2 acre farm property to maintain and my job as a professional musician. I sing in restaurants all over the Mendocino Coast area and that is my real passion. So I am still deciding what I want to do. In any case, if I do decode to restore the site it will take a while to get it done, so don't expect anything to happen soon."

January 9, 2024 8:18 am  #12

RadioActive wrote:

An update to that update, which unfortunately seems far less optimistic. 

"At this point I am trying to decide whether or not I really want to restore the site. I have been working on it for 23 years. and I am a 75 year old man with memory issues and other problems to deal with. I am seriously considering letting it go. I realize this will disappoint a lot of people - and I am very sorry for that, but I have a 1 and 1/2 acre farm property to maintain and my job as a professional musician. I sing in restaurants all over the Mendocino Coast area and that is my real passion. So I am still deciding what I want to do. In any case, if I do decode to restore the site it will take a while to get it done, so don't expect anything to happen soon."

I love his frank, brutal honesty. If the Uncle Earl's site is gone for good, at least I know the reason. I can live with that.