sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 17, 2023 10:11 am  #1

The Christmas Songs You Love To Hate The Most

From Paul McCartney to David Bowie and Wham!, the list is long and infuriating. It's why I avoid CHFI like the plague during the holiday season. (Although, truth be told, I never listen to them during the rest of the year, either!) 

CNN puts together the list of the worst Yule tunes you love to hate and can't stand hearing one more time. But I have to admit, I've never heard of "Dominick The Donkey." (Lou Monti was famous for "Pepino The Italian Mouse," which is not Christmas but made the charts in 1962.)

The Christmas Songs You Love To Hate The Most

December 17, 2023 10:42 am  #2

Re: The Christmas Songs You Love To Hate The Most

They're all tied for first.  Season's Greetings!

December 17, 2023 11:41 pm  #3

I had never heard of Dominick either until I saw references to it on The Oldies Music Bulletin Board, the predecessor of The Oldies Music Board that I administer. And going by what's shown at 45cat.com, I think I know why. Their listings of 45s are categorized by the country where they were released, and they only show Dominick as having been released in the US and not in Canada. Monte was from New York City, and the following comment at the 45cat listing for this record might also be of interest:

Didn't chart nationally, but I swear, everyone in the NYC area my age and up knows it.......eee-awww, eee-awww, eee-awww, eee-awww!....John

December 18, 2023 7:10 am  #4

At one time, I could handle one or two Christmas songs [Original version only. Absolutely No Remakes] per hour mixed in with regular tunes. But after having to listen to 8 hours of this seasonal shit at work, the Grinch in me is here to stay until December 26th arrives. Please hurry.

December 18, 2023 10:17 am  #5

In case you are able to listen to it once, maybe twice - try ten hours worth of listening...

Last edited by DeepTracks (December 18, 2023 10:18 am)

December 18, 2023 11:35 am  #6

Speaking of songs you've never heard of (and hope never to hear again) there's this: a Christmas tune about KITT, the car from the TV show Knight Rider, being called out to rescue Santa Claus.

One listen was enough and I didn't even get all the way through it. 

‘A Knight Rider Christmas’ at 40: The Story of the Most Delightfully Ridiculous Holiday Song Ever

December 18, 2023 12:40 pm  #7

OMG I had never heard that Knight Rider one before.  That is dreadful.
As for traditional songs I loathe The Little Drummer Boy.
I find it extremely creepy, probably written by some pedophile.
Overall I can't stand any Christmas song except for some old traditional ones like Good King Wenceslas.
If I must listen to one, let it be Jingle Bell Rock by Patti Page.

December 20, 2023 12:28 am  #8

Actually, "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" is one of those few Yule tunes I don't hate. But wow, I had no idea the original lyrics of this thing were so grim and depressing. Who knew?

How “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas” Went From Morbid Omen to Holiday Mainstay

December 20, 2023 7:51 am  #9

I've no problem enjoying me some Dave Edmunds : )) ..  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ExuPO-TzdE&ab_channel=lesselp