sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 4, 2023 2:06 am  #1

CBC/Radio-Canada Lays Off At Least 600 Employees

Journal de Quebec is citing sources saying that there may be a wave of layoffs coming that may affect up to 700 positions at the public broadcaster (article in French)

https://www.journaldequebec.com/2023/12/03/compressions-a-venir-a-cbc-radio-canada--jusqua-700-postes-pourraient-etre-abolis

EDIT: La Press has also come out with an article about possible layoffs at CBC:
https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/2023-12-03/cbc-radio-canada/des-compressions-annoncees-lundi.php

Last edited by ED1 (December 4, 2023 2:09 am)

December 4, 2023 8:08 am  #2

Re: CBC/Radio-Canada Lays Off At Least 600 Employees

Here's a very condensed version of the CBC story in English. 

Major Job Cuts Expected At CBC Radio-Canada

This comes out just as the government openly speculates that the CBC will be cut out or given less money from the new Google agreement to help fund Canadian media. Coincidence?

December 4, 2023 4:13 pm  #3

Reports indicate at least 600 jobs were cut during the Monday meeting held by CEO Catherine Tait. Some 250-300 or more were at the CBC's French arm Radio-Canada. The Sun's Brian Lilley tweets that R-C accounts for 40% of the Corp.'s budget, so it's no surprise their ox got gored.

Still no word on which departments - radio, TV or online - got axed the most. 

It's not exactly the Christmas bonus many at the CBC were expecting this close to the holiday, always a horrible time for this sort of thing. 

CBC/Radio-Canada layoffs: Public broadcaster cutting 600 jobs nationwide  

December 4, 2023 4:17 pm  #4

The Star reports that the cuts amount to around $125 million, with at least $40 million hitting programming. In addition, some 200 vacant positions will remain empty.  

CBC and Radio-Canada to cut up to 10% of workforce: Sources

December 4, 2023 4:20 pm  #5

So, does this affect only the French network?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

December 4, 2023 5:56 pm  #6

turkeytop wrote:

So, does this affect only the French network?

CBC and Radio-Canada will each lose 250 positions. The rest will come from shared services units that serve both branches.

https://twitter.com/fagstein/status/1731775901254238513

December 4, 2023 6:25 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

Here's a very condensed version of the CBC story in English. 

Major Job Cuts Expected At CBC Radio-Canada

This comes out just as the government openly speculates that the CBC will be cut out or given less money from the new Google agreement to help fund Canadian media. Coincidence?

The CBC is funded by Canadian taxpayers.  They shouldn't be eligible for a dime of Google's token payout.

December 4, 2023 6:34 pm  #8

Its about time.  The bloated bureaucracy of the CBC should be  cut considerably.   The discussion continues regarding Radio on this forum.  It is time that many should realize that it is dead.  Sorry for the few left working and the many soon to be without jobs.

December 4, 2023 6:34 pm  #9

A CBC press release indicates where most of the jobs are being chopped and when they'll start.

"...the balance coming from Technology & Infrastructure and other corporate divisions. Each division will begin phasing-in reductions based on their business plans and operational requirements. Some will begin immediately; most will take effect over the next 12 months.

"The Corporation will also be reducing its English and French programming budgets for the next fiscal year, including approximately $40 million in independent production commissions and program acquisitions. This will result in reduced renewals and acquisitions, fewer new television series and episodes of existing shows, as well as fewer digital original series."

CBC Press Release On Job Cuts

December 4, 2023 8:27 pm  #10

Is CBC/RC actually eliminating 800 jobs?  The press release reads like 600 union and non union jobs will be cut.  But it says "furthermore" 200 jobs that are currently vacant will not be filled.  Or is it the other way that the 200 is included in the 600 total?

When Bell eliminated 1,300 jobs it included almost 400 positions that were vacant.  The CBC release doesn't really imply that the vacant positions are included in the total. 

December 4, 2023 8:43 pm  #11

According to the Canadian Press, which is usually accurate, about 600 existing jobs are being eliminated, with another 200 already vacant not being filled. Which is why some are calling it 800 jobs in total, although some don't actually exist at the moment and won't in the future.

December 4, 2023 9:02 pm  #12

Yes, I just checked the story on CBC.ca and it says 600 jobs cut plus an additional 200 positions currently vacant that won't be filled.  Could be this is why Heartland isn't showing up on the CBC schedule for next year.  Would have been it's 18th season. 

December 4, 2023 11:37 pm  #13

From what I gather, having read some articles and watching the Tait interview on The National, the nitty gritty on exactly what jobs will be chopped and who will be laid off hasn't happened yet.
That makes me wonder why today's announcement couldn't wait until after the holidays.

December 5, 2023 8:09 am  #14

paterson1 wrote:

Yes, I just checked the story on CBC.ca and it says 600 jobs cut plus an additional 200 positions currently vacant that won't be filled.  Could be this is why Heartland isn't showing up on the CBC schedule for next year.  Would have been it's 18th season. 

"The broadcaster says the move would result in fewer renewals and acquisitions, new television series, episodes of existing shows and digital original series."

CBC cuts could change what programming you see on TV: Tait

December 5, 2023 8:39 am  #15

Having worked at the CBC, I can honestly say that they are overbloated staff-wise. They have probably 2-3 more people per position than any other broadcaster I have worked for. However, I think Catherine Tait picked a really crappy time to lay off staff, 3 weeks before Christmas? Bah humbug!
Speaking of Tait, I think she has been ineffective for the Corp, but most of them have been, so nothing new here.

December 5, 2023 2:11 pm  #16

The Canadian Press did a follow-up on the job losses at CBC, which is facing a $125 million budget crunch. 

When CEO Catherine Tait appeared on the network to talk about the 600 jobs that will be cut, she was asked a direct follow-up by one of the CBC's own hosts. And the answer, while not specific, was somewhat jaw dropping. 

"I’m going to presume no bonuses this year,” said CBC host Adrienne Arsenault. “Can we establish that’s not happening this year?”

“It’s too early to say where we are for this year. We’ll be looking at that like we do all our line items in the coming months,” Catherine Tait responded."

What? No, Ms. Tait. No. You just cut 600 people. There is only one right answer to that question. And it's "no bonuses." Period. 

No wonder so many people are down on the CBC. That's not only a ridiculous response, it's an affront to those about to be on the unemployment line. Shame on her.

December 5, 2023 3:06 pm  #17

Far removed from the days when they were pulling people in off the streets to work.

December 5, 2023 4:28 pm  #18

Nice that Adrienne was concerned about her bonus.

December 5, 2023 4:42 pm  #19

Not getting fired is probably considered a bonus this year.

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

December 5, 2023 6:37 pm  #20

An absolutely unintended hilarious moment on the John Oakley Show Tuesday. He was talking about the CBC layoffs and the future of the network with Jonathan Kay of The National Post and the online site Quillette. At one point, Kay was commenting on the statements made by CBC CEO Catherine Tait after 600 jobs were cut. 

I was out walking the dog so I don't have a completely accurate quote, but here's a close paraphrase. "Imagine if the president of the company that owns your radio station - and I confess I'm not sure which company owns you - had to explain to investors why your stock keeps collapsing and your ratings are down. He wouldn't be there very long."

Of course, Corus' stock has been hammered over the last few years and 640's ratings are nowhere. I began to laugh out loud at how he nailed it without even realizing how true that was!

And Oakley? Well, there was dead silence. 

December 6, 2023 8:09 am  #21

You can see the 10 minute "The National" interview with CBC CEO Catharine Tait, in which she talks job cuts - and bonuses - here, and decide for yourself if what she says makes sense to you. 

December 6, 2023 11:21 am  #22

I think this will be the first of a few more cuts for CBC.  Could very well be that the corp. could be heavily defunded regardless who wins the next election.  Canada is going to be making huge interest payments on government debt in 2024 ($50-55 billion). The billions for these yearly new and much increased interest payments will need to come from somewhere.

CBC is certainly much more open about their situation than the private networks.  Always interesting when Adrienne Arsenault puts Catherine Tait through the wringer.  Notice how CBC also publishes the negative comments about the network in the comments. Even the CBC haters who don't have a clue what they are talking about.   The private networks don't do this.  However since CBC/RC gets most of their money from the taxpayer, this should be expected. 

Catherine Tait has a hard job, but I have my doubts that she is up to the task. CBC TV in my opinion doesn't really relate that well to many Canadians.  They have lost the mainstream, and for a public broadcaster, that isn't a good thing.   

December 6, 2023 11:45 am  #23

I know of a couple of senior execs at the CBC and their comp plans are generous.  The organization appears to be very top-heavy and I notice the announcement specified not only broadcasting jobs, but 'technology and infrastructure department and other corporate divisions'.   Could 'other corporate divisions' mean some people at the top?  No specific mention of executives was made, so it makes me wonder if they're a protected species on this one.   I got hit by simiar cuts at a corporate position in the 1990s and at least they went from the C suite all the way down to the mail room.   it would only be fair to see that in this case instead of just clobbering the little guy.

December 6, 2023 11:49 am  #24

To me, the greatest irony is that in many cases, execs. are rewarded for cutting costs - which most often means firing people and getting rid of salary, raise requests and benefits. So to think that the CBC honchos behind this decision might be given extra credit for doing the dirty work is not beyond imagining. I've seen it happen in broadcasting more often than I can remember.

December 7, 2023 4:03 pm  #25

CBC CEO Catharine Tait will appear before a House of Commons Committee in January to try to explain the latest job cuts - and why she hasn't ruled out bonuses for the execs who kept their positions.

What's really significant about this, to me, is that all three major parties seem to agree on how outrageous her statements about the potential added compensation is. And they plan to grill her on that - and why the Corp. is facing a $125 million shortfall.

CBC head Catherine Tait summoned to Commons committee over job cuts, executive bonuses

December 8, 2023 8:21 am  #26

RadioActive wrote:

CBC CEO Catharine Tait will appear before a House of Commons Committee in January to try to explain the latest job cuts - and why she hasn't ruled out bonuses for the execs who kept their positions.

What's really significant about this, to me, is that all three major parties seem to agree on how outrageous her statements about the potential added compensation is. And they plan to grill her on that - and why the Corp. is facing a $125 million shortfall.

CBC head Catherine Tait summoned to Commons committee over job cuts, executive bonuses

The Corp is facing a $125 million shortfall as it is badly mismanaged. To be funded by the taxpayer and still end up in the red is pathetic and seems to be a recurring pattern at the CBC.

December 8, 2023 5:00 pm  #27

Looks like they're not quite comfortable with all the heat they've been getting. On Friday, management at the CBC issued this memo, insisting they're looking into everything, including any bonuses.

December 8, 2023 5:28 pm  #28

Some changes on the regional TV side have taken place since this was announced.

The CBC Saskatchewan 11 PM bulletin, which was only about 10 minutes long, was replaced with a rebroadcast of the 6 PM bulletin. 

Last edited by ED1 (December 8, 2023 5:39 pm)

December 8, 2023 9:15 pm  #29

ED1 wrote:

The CBC Saskatchewan 11 PM bulletin, which was only about 10 minutes long, was replaced with a rebroadcast of the 6 PM bulletin. 

Saskatchewan has really taken a hit on local news this year. I’ve heard CTV has switched to regional newscasts anchored from Regina for all but their 6:00 newscasts.

December 9, 2023 3:36 am  #30

MJ Vancouver wrote:

ED1 wrote:

Saskatchewan has really taken a hit on local news this year. I’ve heard CTV has switched to regional newscasts anchored from Regina for all but their 6:00 newscasts.

Yeah, not to side track the thread, but CFQC Saskatoon did lose all of their newscasts except the weekday noon and 6 PM.