sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 3, 2023 3:30 pm  #1

South African radio dramas

One of the oddities about apartheid South Africa was that television was introduced rather late, 1976. This wasn't because of the expense but because the government viewed modern culture with suspicion with Prime Minister  Verwoerd comparing TV to atomic weapons saying:  "they are modern things, but that does not mean they are desirable. The government has to watch for any dangers to the people, both spiritual and physical." There were also fears that television would be a threat to Afrikaner (white Dutch-descended) dominance because of the prominance of English television internationally, as well as white dominance, with the communications minister arguing "South Africa would have to import films showing race mixing; and advertising would make [Black] Africans dissatisfied with their lot."

As a result, radio remained the dominant medium in South Africa into the late 1970s with a format similar to what pre-television radio had been in the rest of the western world, except more modern, in some ways with the SABC's commercial radio arm, Sprinbok Radio, producing (often illegally) South African radio versions of popular western (mostly British) television series such as The Avengers as well as original drama series, comedies, game shows and the like. 

You can hear a sampling of Springbok programming here: 

Last edited by Hansa (December 4, 2023 11:26 am)

December 4, 2023 1:22 am  #2

Re: South African radio dramas

I enjoy listening to radio dramas, especially mystery and horror late at night and these South African dramas are among the best.  Springbok had their own versions of the popular U.S. series Lux Radio Theatre and Suspense as well as original series such as The Creaking Door and Beyond Midnight. You can listen to a substantial number of these shows at the website www.radioechoes.com.  Scroll down the alphabetical list to these shows all beginning
with "South Africa".

December 4, 2023 9:43 am  #3

Re: South African radio dramas

As a kid attending school in Rhodesia, I would listen to the radio drama “Tarzan” sponsored by Jungle Oats, a breakfast porridge. It aired on Springbok I believe on Sunday evenings and I used an earphone to listen to it after lights out, boarding school sucked….!