sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 3, 2023 9:37 am  #1

The One Xmas Song You May Never Hear On Local Radio

I'm not a fan of Christmas music, as many here know, so I can't make the definitive statement that you'll never hear this song on Toronto radio. But I can't recall the last time anyone played it. 

It's pretty dated for one thing and it involves a local radio personality that generally kept it off other radio stations in this town. It was called "Ringo Deer" by the late, great Garry Ferrier, the genius behind the promotions at 1050 CHUM during its Top 40 heyday. A reference to Ringo is hardly current, even with the Fab Four's final record being released this fall. And while Ferrier was associated with CHUM, I'm sure that reference doesn't matter now as much as it once did. 

I'm thinking maybe AM 740 would be the only place this tune ever turns up, perhaps played by Robbie Lane who once worked for the mighty 1050. But otherwise, it's wall-to-wall Wham! and Mariah Carey. 

And by the way, my brother actually bought this record way back in 1964, so I've been able to hear the B-side. It doesn't appear to exist anywhere on YouTube, which testifies to how obscure it is, but it was very original. It was called "Just My Luck," and it detailed the horrible things that happened to the singer, who just couldn't get a break. 

(One of the lines I recall was "Chewed on toothpicks if you please, Now I've got Dutch Elm Disease, Just my Luck..." The single ends with a classic moment. He talks about how snakebitten he is by fate and the song ends with this line: "I wouldn't be surprised if the needle gets stuck in this record...gets stuck in this record...gets stuck in this record...gets stuck in this record... and it fades out that way.)

One last thing about "Ringo Deer." In 1964, it was noted the song - which was getting heavy rotation on CHUM - also got on the playlist of CKEY, a real rarity where a competing station would play a song recorded by one of those on against them. 

Nice sentiment, but of course, it never happened. 

December 3, 2023 12:10 pm  #2

Re: The One Xmas Song You May Never Hear On Local Radio

Speaking of "they never stop playing that Mariah Carey" song - think of this the next time you inevitably hear the tune:

December 3, 2023 12:46 pm  #3

Just one more:

December 3, 2023 2:30 pm  #4

Although I wasn't in Toronto or at CHUM when "Ringo Deer" was first released for the 1964 Christmas season, I'm quite confident in saying that while CKEY may have played the song (which was a cool thing by itself), they certainly wouldn't have said anything about who Garry was or where he worked.

Also, just a small thing RA, but the real CHUM promotion genius of the 1960s was actually Allen Farrell. He was the Promotion Director and came up with (and wrote) 99% of CHUM's promotions and promos (including the annual "Maple Leafs Forever" song break-ins that Allen voiced as 'Faster Foster'. Garry was the voice of Faster Foster's father).

Larry Solway & Garry Ferrier were award winning commercial writers at CHUM and created many comedy bits as Larry & Garry. In '68. Garry was named Program Director for the new, 'underground' CHUM-FM before leaving for Nashville in '69 to write for the Johnny Cash TV show.

Also, I had not heard anything about Garry's passing. I called him today and got his voicemail, so as far as I know, Garry is still with us.    

December 3, 2023 2:45 pm  #5

I miss Pete & Geets punk Christmas carols. I especially recall a punk version of "Silent Night" where the word "virgin" was emphasized. 

December 3, 2023 3:44 pm  #6

Doug Thompson wrote:

Although I wasn't in Toronto or at CHUM when "Ringo Deer" was first released for the 1964 Christmas season, I'm quite confident in saying that while CKEY may have played the song (which was a cool thing by itself), they certainly wouldn't have said anything about who Garry was or where he worked.

Also, just a small thing RA, but the real CHUM promotion genius of the 1960s was actually Allen Farrell. He was the Promotion Director and came up with (and wrote) 99% of CHUM's promotions and promos (including the annual "Maple Leafs Forever" song break-ins that Allen voiced as 'Faster Foster'. Garry was the voice of Faster Foster's father).

Larry Solway & Garry Ferrier were award winning commercial writers at CHUM and created many comedy bits as Larry & Garry. In '68. Garry was named Program Director for the new, 'underground' CHUM-FM before leaving for Nashville in '69 to write for the Johnny Cash TV show.

Also, I had not heard anything about Garry's passing. I called him today and got his voicemail, so as far as I know, Garry is still with us.    

Thanks for the corrections, Doug. I was sure I'd heard that Mr. Ferrier had left us, but I'm very relieved to hear reports of his passing are premature! I hope he's around for a long time to come. 

This may interest you. It's from December 1966. (The author is Ian Grant, but it's not our Iain Grant, who spells his first name with an extra "i"!)

December 3, 2023 4:12 pm  #7

Cool article. When I started at CHUM in February 1965, I worked with Larry Solway on his nightly talk show, Speak Your Mind, for two years.

Then when I was promoted into the production department, I worked with Larry & Garry producing their commercials. My favourite feature was recording Garry and Jay Nelson doing the "Mysterious Minerva" comedy bits. Garry always cracked Jay up and we always left it in.

Last edited by Doug Thompson (December 3, 2023 4:17 pm)

December 3, 2023 7:08 pm  #8

Ringo Deer was well produced.  About as good as any other novelty Christmas song of the era.  Didn't do bad on CHUM, peaked at #7 on the CHUM Chart on December 28 1964.  I am sure Roger Ashby has given this one a few spins on some of his Christmas oldies shows.  And notice that another "Ringo" is sitting at #13 with the great Lorne Greene of Bonanza fame.

Last edited by paterson1 (December 3, 2023 7:12 pm)

December 3, 2023 9:45 pm  #9

Garry Ferrier told me that while Capitol Records agreed to release and distribute "Ringo Deer", he had to pay the musicians, background singers and studio costs first.

He also said he didn't make very much money on it.

December 3, 2023 10:21 pm  #10

Thanks for the great memories, RA & Doug.  Ho Ho Ho