sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 3, 2023 3:31 pm  #2

Re: CBC Radio host Gill Deacon on life with long COVID

For at least a couple of years now, I've been living with a chronic neuro-immune illness that has symptoms similar to those of long COVID, and Gill is definitely experiencing much of what I, a former broadcaster currently freelancing/self-employed, go through on the daily. The struggle is very real, and there are better days and worse days symptom-wise, but I don't give in or give up.

I'm currently awaiting word on a potential long-term contract with one media company that operates in southern Ontario, and I'm hoping that this illness doesn't get in the way of this remote/WFH position. Below is a shot of my current workstation, with most of the equipment funded by a Starter Company Plus grant. And yes, that's a wheelchair at the desk... I use a power-assisted manual 'chair to help with my mobility outside the home.

Here's hoping that I can continue to work at least part-time from this little office/studio and not be held back by a chronic illness.

December 3, 2023 4:12 pm  #3

I have had covid twice. 6 weeks ago I had similar symptoms but tested negative, although my wife did test positive.  I am still having phlegm build up in my throat  and having to constantly clear it , and a slight sporadic cough . I am thinking I may have the RSV virus. But it is getting slowly better. 

December 3, 2023 4:16 pm  #4

Forward Power wrote:

For at least a couple of years now, I've been living with a chronic neuro-immune illness that has symptoms similar to those of long COVID, and Gill is definitely experiencing much of what I, a former broadcaster currently freelancing/self-employed, go through on the daily. The struggle is very real, and there are better days and worse days symptom-wise, but I don't give in or give up.

I'm currently awaiting word on a potential long-term contract with one media company that operates in southern Ontario, and I'm hoping that this illness doesn't get in the way of this remote/WFH position. Below is a shot of my current workstation, with most of the equipment funded by a Starter Company Plus grant. And yes, that's a wheelchair at the desk... I use a power-assisted manual 'chair to help with my mobility outside the home.

Here's hoping that I can continue to work at least part-time from this little office/studio and not be held back by a chronic illness.

Best of luck! Hope you move "Forward" with "Power" in your new job soon!

December 4, 2023 4:46 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

Forward Power wrote:

Seconded!

December 4, 2023 5:03 pm  #6

Thanks for sharing this Centerline, I learned useful and crucial covid information that surprisingly isn't widely discussed these days.

One of the reasons I've always enjoyed Gill Deacon is because she does what many radio and television broadcasters do, share personal experience to empower and educate people.

A serious chronic illness is one hell of a challenge, mentally as much as physically. I wish her the best.

December 4, 2023 6:08 pm  #7

betaylored wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Forward Power wrote:

Seconded!

Thirded!

Cool setup too! I'm jealous...lol.

More "Power" to you!

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!