sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 22, 2023 3:43 pm  #1

CBC News Now Preferred for International News

I used to be a loyal viewer of CTV National News.  However since CTV has laid off practically all of their international correspondents, I have switched to CBC The National.  CTV has cut costs and is trying to cover the Middle East with
a reporter stationed in Toronto, while CBC has a correspondent in Jerusalem.  The same story applies to news coverage in Washington and London UK.  Having a correspondent right in the middle of the events gives the newscast a whole different feeling.   I wonder if CTV"s ratings have declined or do viewers even care?  Are you OK with big stories being covered from thousands of miles away? Maybe CTV should return to having U.S. network feeds for these stories.

November 22, 2023 8:01 pm  #2

Re: CBC News Now Preferred for International News

For International News, I usually use BBC, EuroNews and DW.

November 22, 2023 9:04 pm  #3

Re: CBC News Now Preferred for International News

I often see a breaking story on the social media platform formally known as Twitter at which point I click on the link if it's CBC or BBC.

It's still a bit odd to see Canadian news covered by The Guardian and they do excellent typically British low key, no fluff, no burying the lede reporting.

Related sidebar: looks like journalism schools are in need of a rebuild.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/journalism-schools-low-enrolment-1.7029160
and this story is cause for concern, I'd love to hear from the various on-air folks on 1010 and 640 as to what they'd do moving forward to ensure the best possible chance for Canada's future journalists.

Last edited by betaylored (November 22, 2023 9:11 pm)