sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 17, 2023 11:45 am  #1

88.5 Flips to Country

http://hotcountry885.ca/
Same branding as Brantford, this is The GTA's Hot Country 

November 17, 2023 12:07 pm  #2

Re: 88.5 Flips to Country

Thats unfortunate.  The KX stations now have competition however.  

Last edited by markow202 (November 17, 2023 12:10 pm)

November 17, 2023 12:19 pm  #3

So have all the hosts from Lite been let go? It appears they are basically simulcasting Hot Country from Brantford with the same lineup of Tracy Lynn in the morning and Cruise in the afternoon.

Last edited by km93 (November 17, 2023 12:20 pm)

November 17, 2023 12:34 pm  #4

I'd be keeping my eye on Lite in Ottawa. It's the only one of any significance left, has never had any real ratings, and is now without its parent station.

Country not an option in that market.

November 17, 2023 12:34 pm  #5

This certainly might explain Thursday's sudden announcement that 26-year morning man Gary Gamble would have his last show on the station Friday morning

They announced on their now deleted website that his co-host would be taking over. Was that just a smoke screen for the format change? 

I don't listen to music on the radio much anymore, but Lite88.5 was on my presets. I will miss having that option and I'm kind of sad they've turned off the Lite. 

That said, we've spoken a lot here over the years about why country simply never seems to really make a dent in the GTA. Will this finally be the breakthrough? Time will tell. And given the sheer number of formats Evanov has tried on this frequency, I'm not sure what's left. 

November 17, 2023 12:36 pm  #6

RadioAaron wrote:

I'd be keeping my eye on Lite in Ottawa. It's the only one of any significance left, has never had any real ratings, and is now without its parent station.

Do you mean that you think some of the former Lite 88.5 staff will turn up there?

November 17, 2023 12:39 pm  #7

km93 wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Do you mean that you think some of the former Lite 88.5 staff will turn up there?

There were only two local hosts left on 88.5, and Gary Gamble is staying with Evanov in a management role, and I think Stacy may be staying on 88.5 for local news? So no.

I mean format change.

November 17, 2023 12:40 pm  #8

Hey, it could have been worse - they could have gone all Christmas!

November 17, 2023 12:45 pm  #9

From Broadcast Dialogue, comes the rationale for the switch:

“After assessing the market and its various needs we determined that there was a large unfulfilled demand for a local country music station in this part of the GTA,” said Paul Evanov, President and CEO of Evanov Communications, in a company announcement. “We believe the time is right to provide GTA country music listeners and advertisers with a much-needed country station and Hot Country 88.5 will do just that.”

Evanov introduces Hot Country 88.5 to GTA

November 17, 2023 1:00 pm  #10

RadioActive wrote:

From Broadcast Dialogue, comes the rationale for the switch:

“After assessing the market and its various needs we determined that there was a large unfulfilled demand for a local country music station in this part of the GTA,” said Paul Evanov, President and CEO of Evanov Communications, in a company announcement. “We believe the time is right to provide GTA country music listeners and advertisers with a much-needed country station and Hot Country 88.5 will do just that.”

Evanov introduces Hot Country 88.5 to GTA

Yeah, they said this before, back in 1999 and didn't stay Country for very long
"There was a large void and we intend to fill it" 
https://formatchangearchive.com/ckdx-becomes-the-kat/

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

November 17, 2023 1:24 pm  #11

My concern is for PM drive host Kent Chambers, who I admired very much and got to work with alongside now and then with CTN.  I'm not sure that he's remaining on, and I'm unable to reach out to him on Boomer Book because it's blocked from my workplace.

I'll keep him in my thoughts today.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

November 17, 2023 1:30 pm  #12

There is KX in the the west end, downtown and east end.   88.5 is not a Toronto station and neitheir is its signal so maybe this will work who knows.  Country is getting more popular than it was even 3 years ago.   I did enjoy Lite/Jewel and its format.  

November 17, 2023 1:41 pm  #13

evanov yuck now i have to wash my screen

November 17, 2023 2:38 pm  #14

It looks like Lite 92 still exists? LITE 92.1 - Southern Ontario's LITE Favourites

November 17, 2023 2:54 pm  #15

From Radio Insight:

"The new format launched with the “Lite 88.5” morning show introducing Lynn and the old format signing off with Earth, Wind & Fire’s “September” before launching into Steven Lee Olsen’s “Hello Country”, Luke Combs “Lovin On You”, and Jelly Roll “Need A Favor”. 

"September" as the final song? I'm not entirely sure why they picked that one.

November 17, 2023 3:04 pm  #16

markow202 wrote:

It looks like Lite 92 still exists? LITE 92.1 - Southern Ontario's LITE Favourites

Yes because their sister station has the Hot Country format. 

November 17, 2023 3:23 pm  #17

I have 88.5 programmed into two radios as presets. Can anyone suggest what I can replace it with? Country does not me interest me even a little bit. But I also have no real interest in the CHFIs or the CHUM-FMs of the world. I have no idea what to put there now. 

November 17, 2023 3:31 pm  #18

From the official Evanov press release:

Tracy Lynn will host Hot Country Mornings. Tracy Lynn is a proven veteran of the country format and has spent most of her career as an announcer on country radio. Katie & Company will be hosting mid-days, while Casey Clarke does his weekend Countdown Show. The Rob and Holly Show featuring special guests from the country music world will be heard weekday evenings.

November 17, 2023 3:45 pm  #19

RadioActive wrote:

I have 88.5 programmed into two radios as presets. Can anyone suggest what I can replace it with? Country does not me interest me even a little bit. But I also have no real interest in the CHFIs or the CHUM-FMs of the world. I have no idea what to put there now. 

Zoomer Radio (96.7 FM Downtown) is the closest thing I can think of format-wise, although not as consistently soft.

November 17, 2023 3:57 pm  #20

RadioActive wrote:

Boom97.3? 104.1 from Buffalo?

November 17, 2023 4:01 pm  #21

Thanks. I've got all those programmed in. I have a feeling, based on the current choices, that it will be hard to find a replacement that fits. There are so few FMs I listen to or like these days that I think I have most of the ones I do already plugged in, including 92.1 from Brantford. 

And by the way, does this finally scotch the never-ending rumour that Corus was looking to take CFNY country? I never believed those stories and I suppose we'll never really know, but if that was true, it wouldn't be the first time they got caught with their format pants down. 

From 1993:

November 17, 2023 4:03 pm  #22

I doubt they are, but this wouldn't influence their decision one way or the other.

RadioActive wrote:

Thanks. I've got all those programmed in. I have a feeling, based on the current choices, that it will be hard to find a replacement that fits. There are so few FMs I listen to or like these days that I think I have most of the ones I do already plugged in, including 92.1 from Brantford. 

And by the way, does this finally scotch the never-ending rumour that Corus was looking to take CFNY country? I never believed those stories and I suppose we'll never really know, but if that was true, it wouldn't be the first time they got caught with their format pants down. 

From 1993:

November 17, 2023 4:20 pm  #23

RadioActive wrote:

92.1!  I know, atleast for me here comes in clear in Etobicoke.

November 17, 2023 4:52 pm  #24

markow202 wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

That's there already. I would program The Grand, but it really doesn't come in here. Neither does CKDO-FM.  I'm going to have to think long and hard about what deserves that spot. But thanks for all the suggestions!

And by the way, I just had to go out and erased 88.5 from my car's presets while I was at it.

November 17, 2023 6:06 pm  #25

RadioActive wrote:

markow202 wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

That's there already. I would program The Grand, but it really doesn't come in here. Neither does CKDO-FM.  I'm going to have to think long and hard about what deserves that spot. But thanks for all the suggestions!

And by the way, I just had to go out and erased 88.5 from my car's presets while I was at it.

Closest Toronto station to  what 885 was but not as "light" sounding would be Boom 973. 

November 17, 2023 9:45 pm  #26

markow202 wrote:

Closest Toronto station to  what 885 was but not as "light" sounding would be Boom 973. 

They can always flip 93.5 to a nice easy listening format. They have nowhere else to go but up!!
(unless they see Country as a solid option for Toronto)

November 17, 2023 9:50 pm  #27

There is also K-Country 93.7 in Keswick.  Can't think they are too happy about this format change as CKDX covers their market.  Maybe they will flip to lite hits :-)

https://kcountry937.com/

November 17, 2023 10:07 pm  #28

Evuguy wrote:

There is also K-Country 93.7 in Keswick.  Can't think they are too happy about this format change as CKDX covers their market.  Maybe they will flip to lite hits :-)

https://kcountry937.com/

It’ll be fine. 93.7 is unrated and sold as the “local” station.

November 18, 2023 8:10 am  #29

RadioAaron wrote:

It’ll be fine. 93.7 is unrated and sold as the “local” station.

Yeah, the "Local" Digital storage station!      

November 20, 2023 7:52 am  #30

CKDX still has their old Icon on my HD radio showing up. 

[img]https://1drv.ms/i/s!AuF8Sd9OzvCbg5oAXaSlHwJVUvLp-w?e=arHBuk[/img]