sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 16, 2023 10:30 pm  #1

Colbert's Special Guest Next Monday: David Letterman, Who He Replaced

David Letterman will return to the show and the stage he made famous during his years at CBS. 

The network has revealed that current host Stephen Colbert's "The Late Show" will welcome his predecessor for an interview on Monday night. Letterman gave up his seat in 2015. This will be the first time he's been back. Now if he could just explain that awful looking straggly beard...

David Letterman to return to 'The Late Show' as a guest for the first time

November 20, 2023 8:13 am  #2

Re: Colbert's Special Guest Next Monday: David Letterman, Who He Replaced

Just a reminder for those who are interested, this airs tonight (Nov. 20.) I expect it will end up on YouTube by Tuesday if you miss it. 

November 21, 2023 1:45 am  #3

Dave was on the podcast hosted by Colbert and the other late night hosts recently and mentioned that he hadn’t been comfortable with the idea of going back to the Ed Sullivan Theatre because it might have felt like going back to highshool but had decided that he had gotten over that. Colbert immediately asked him to come on the show and Dave said he would. I didn’t know if that conversation was authentic when I heard it, but obviously it was.

November 21, 2023 2:04 am  #4

I watched for a couple of minutes but, like most guests on late night shows, he had nothing to say. Just a lot of mindless blather.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

November 21, 2023 8:20 am  #5

You can judge for yourself here:

November 21, 2023 9:13 am  #6

I missed it last night, so thanks for posting these clips RA. Thoroughly enjoyed them all.

November 21, 2023 9:15 am  #7

What? David Letterman has not passed away yet? WOW!
Maybe he can finally be the one to make it to 100 years old!

*Whoops! Sorry! I just realized he's only 76, not 86, my bad! 

Last edited by Radiowiz (November 21, 2023 9:17 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

November 21, 2023 12:37 pm  #8

Letterman has been on Jimmy Kimmel a few times as well as Seth Myers. Leno has been on Fallon's Tonight Show a few times and - interestingly- was on Craig Ferguson's Late Late Show, which was owned by Letterman's company and also made a cameo on the premiere of Corden's Late Late Show. Letterman has never appeared on Fallon's Tonight Show AFAIK and Leno has never been on Colbert. Carson never appeared on Leno's Tonight Show but did make two non-speaking gag appearances on Letterman's Late Show.

I hope Leno ends up on Letterman's Netflix show at some point. The two have been saying nice things about each other in the years since they both left late night and for those of us who remember Leno as a regular guest on Letterman's old Late Night show it would be fascinating to see them together again.

Last edited by Hansa (November 21, 2023 12:43 pm)

November 21, 2023 7:05 pm  #9

I thought it was good.   His typical humour.  He's owner of a couple of elite auto racing teams with former driver and Indy champ Bobby Rahal, so he's in Toronto during the Toronto Indycar race every year.   I was watching a recording of a 1971 Indianapolis 500 race and got a surprise when Mario Andretti crashed and exited the track area through a fence, only to be greeted by Letterman, who was a weather guy in Indy at the time and was part of the  coverage crew.   They were both Indycar team owners at one point (Mario with Paul Newman) and they're friends, but that time Mario brushed Dave off because he was pissed over ending his race.   There's a great coffee and cars with Sienfeld and Letterman where Dave takes Jerry for a spin in his 400 hp Volvo station wagon that was souped up by Paul Newman who had a passion for souping up Volvo road cars for some reason.     Link is here.
Letterman was at his best when he had race drivers on his show because he really knows his stuff.

Last edited by SpinningWheel (November 21, 2023 8:22 pm)

November 23, 2023 1:08 am  #10

Hansa wrote:

Letterman has been on Jimmy Kimmel a few times as well as Seth Myers. Leno has been on Fallon's Tonight Show a few times and - interestingly- was on Craig Ferguson's Late Late Show, which was owned by Letterman's company and also made a cameo on the premiere of Corden's Late Late Show. Letterman has never appeared on Fallon's Tonight Show AFAIK and Leno has never been on Colbert. Carson never appeared on Leno's Tonight Show but did make two non-speaking gag appearances on Letterman's Late Show.

I hope Leno ends up on Letterman's Netflix show at some point. The two have been saying nice things about each other in the years since they both left late night and for those of us who remember Leno as a regular guest on Letterman's old Late Night show it would be fascinating to see them together again.

He still makes fun of Leno in the occasional interview so I don’t think it will ever happen.